The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Learning Balloon Animals (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
There are 4 different sizes of "twistable" balloons.

160Qs - measure 1" in diameter by 60" long
260Qs - measure 2" in diameter by 60" long
350Qs - measure 3" in diameter by 50" long
646Qs - measure 6" in diameter by 46" long

Here's a picture of each one un-inflated...

...and here they are inflated...

For beginners, the primary balloon you will use are 260s. As your repertoire continues to grow, then you'll likely start adding in 160s to showcase more intricate details of the designs. 350s are used to upsize designs. 646s you don't twist...you wrestle them and hope you win the battle.

Some examples of stuff with 646s...

The body of the shark is created out of six 646Q balloons. Gums are from 350s and 260s, teeth are 321s (don't worry about those yet), eye sockets from 260s, eyeballs are friendly eyeball top prints. The head, neck and feet of the T-Rex is all from 6464s. The eyes are from a 350 and the red pupils are 260. The body is an under inflated 3' round inflated to about 2 feet.

I actually found an old photo of the T-Rex after creating all the parts before constructing it all together. As you can see, 95% of this design is made from 646s.

Here's a Christmas design I did last year. The Sleigh was created out of 646s (for the most part) as was part the Santa Mask and the Ride-Inside Reindeer.

I would suggest that you get an assortment bag of 260s. They'll have lots of colors and will allow you to play around without having to make a large investment. As your skills grow, then you can begin buying more balloons in different sizes...

http://madhattermagicshop.com/magicshop/......ts_id=42

Good luck and happy twisting!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Many thanks Chris! You're input is much appreciated! Those are some amazing balloon sculptures!
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

I just bought these balloons Chris: http://www.continentalsales.net/item.php?it=5132 . Hopefully, these are the exact kinds you are talking about and will be good for twisting.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20185 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Even if they are not the nice thing is you go through plenty in practice.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Perfect!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

I am really enjoying learning how to twist balloons Chris. Got my order of balloons in and started making a dog and a sword. I am pretty proficient at making a dog now. He looks like a poodle. You are right, the balloons you recommended are much better and do not pop as easily. The other balloons I had popped a few times.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20185 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
That is a good reason to get Qualatex. The most I ever had one pop was once.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Ohh yeah, it's a joy to twist away making some balloons. Practicing, that way I can get good at it and start offering it as an additional service. I'll give you an idea I use as an upsell since Chris was so kind to offer up some of his knowledge. I have managed to sell like a black plastic hat, adhesive mustache and a black and white wand as an upsell package for children's birthday parties. You can base your price depending on how much the customer needs. You can get those items off Oriental Trading Company and then markup your price. Personally, I collect state and any applicable local sales tax on this particular upsell package just to stay in the good graces of local and state tax laws and then send the money off to the taxing authorities on a monthly basis. So, in addition to balloon animals, if you perform any children's birthday parties, this upsell package idea can make you a few extra bucks. Just a suggestion to help you guys out. I know a lot of magicians offer to do goody bags for additional charge, but this idea is something else that you can offer as well to make even more money and it works for me.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20185 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Ok you missed the joke.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Well aside from any jokes, I got a bunch of balloon animals now. I've been calling up some family members and a close friend of mine to give them away to so maybe their kids could play with the balloons. Need to make some more room for practice. I've gotten pretty good at making a poodle dog and a sword, so I have a bunch of balloon dogs and swords sitting on my table.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

I've added balloon animals as well as magic with my restaurant gig. Had a professionally made poster done so that when restaurant guests walk in they see my poster and know who I am. This poster was done by eatonmagic and he did an excellent job on it! Thank you for your work eatonmagic (I hired him to do a professional looking poster for me)! Poster is awesome and looks really professional when people first walk in to my restaurant gig. I use it so people know who I am when I am going around table to table doing magic and balloon animals. Looks really good.

So, I got mind blowing magic and then after the magic, I make a balloon animal for any guest who wants one right on the spot. I just pull a small pump and balloon out of my suit jacket and make it right then and there for the guest. The balloon animals really add a lot of value to my restaurant magic. Many thanks to all of you who took the time to respond to my thread and give me some insight. Thanks to Chris Lyle as well for sharing his knowledge!

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20185 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I would learn to blow them up without the pump.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17029 Posts

Profile of joseph
Do the 160 & 260's inflate without blowing an eye or capillary out? ...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20185 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
When done properly yes. When I busked balloons I would blow up grosses a day with regularity and never an issue. As many as 13 gross in one day.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

It just takes practice. I do use the Majiloon Battery Operated Pump for long gigs where I'm ONLY doing balloons but normally just mouth inflate for restaurant work. If you're doing magic AND balloons in the same night, then carrying a pump is going to take up pocket space. Learn to mouth inflate.
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1735 Posts

Profile of jakeg
I always felt that blowing up balloons by mouth can really gross some people out, especially in a restaurant. It also doesn't gain any fans during the flu season. I definitely would use a pump on any commercial job.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

The balloon pump I use doesn't take up much pocket space, plus I wear a suit so I have many pockets I can use. It's not a problem for me to carry the manual pump around and still have plenty of pocket space for magic tricks as well. Today at the gig I worked I didn't wear a suit though as it was an outside gig and very hot here in GA. I wore a short sleeve shirt and tie with well polished spit shined shoes. My toes felt like they were going to fry and I had to take the tie off because it was too hot outside to be wearing a tie. I was sweating like crazy during the show and had sweat dripping into my eyes which was irritating and my face was red afterwards from soaking up so much sun. No big deal, I had a ball! Performed a show with a combination of children's tricks and tricks that adults and teenagers would enjoy as the customer requested and then did balloon animals after the show. The kids would sit there and watch me blow the balloons up and twist them and were afraid they were going to pop while I twisted them.

Got a nice tip in addition to my regular fee afterwards so that was nice. I really do think the balloon animals add some extra value along with the magic. It's definitely been worthwhile for me to put in the extra effort to learn and practice making balloon animals. Still have a lot to learn though. But I also pay attention to the quality of my show and rehearse the show on occasion as well in front of a video camera. It's important not to neglect the quality of your show either. I mean, you can't beat being entertained with some really cool magic and then getting balloon animals at the end. The work putting into doing your best to produce a good show and some cool balloon animals is very rewarding and I really enjoy magic and being an entertainer. Don't we just have the best job ever? I think we are truly blessed to have such an awesome job.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

I've been getting better with making these balloon animals. Practiced some more today on some new sculptures. I really enjoy making these balloon animals. A lot of fun!

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Learning Balloon Animals (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL