The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Don't busk in Wildwood, New Jersey (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

evbromfi
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of evbromfi
Abra Kadabra, Alakazam, Now I'm stuck talking to the man.

Can you busk in Wildwood New Jersey? Nope. I got shut down right when I was about to pass my second hat of the day. I'm posting this here because I asked a lot of people and spent some time researching before I went for a quick vacation, but couldn't find anything. Hopefully the information is out now so no one else misuses their time.

No citation, or anything though apparently jail time was on the table.

The officers said I needed a vending permit (though the ACLU and existing case law would probably disagree) and I believe I remember seeing those costing $350. Feel free to jump in if you know better.

Click here to view attached image.
Professional street corner conjurer and aspiring urban agronomist.
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
That's a bummer. NJ, yuck. vending permits are for people selling. your not selling anything. check the local law to make sure you know your position. we are guaranteed the right to free public assembly. were you blocking natural flow of traffic?
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
If it were me, I'd visit City Hall and talk to the City Clerk. It is my experience they are the most knowledgeable person in government and will be familiar with all the city's ordinance. They generally tend to be friendly also.

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
What exactly were you vending according to the police, the experience?
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
evbromfi
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of evbromfi
I'm pretty well informed of my rights and the different national precedents for busking in the United States. It basically boiled down to the fact that I was only there for one more day and it wasn't worth my time to argue (and it was a weekend so city hall was closed).

I wasn't blocking traffic, my show isn't miced, and I wasn't even in front of any businesses.

They considered vending any form of asking for money, which is obviously not true, but again it wasn't worth the trouble of fighting a ticket. They said even just having a hat on the ground was vending, though they didn't stop my show until I dropped my last hat lines. Shame too, there was a lot of cash in hand.

It is what it is and life goes on. The only point I tried to make to them was that they should make the information more available so as not to waste their time chasing buskers off in the future (but really so as not to waste our time going out there). Wildwood is pretty sterile anyways, thankful it's not my home pitch.
Professional street corner conjurer and aspiring urban agronomist.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1162 Posts

Profile of imgic
Unfortunately from other postings, it's not only the town/city/village laws...but individual police officers' knowledge and interpretation of the laws. The local laws may well allow busking, but the officer isn't clear on the point and will ask you to move along.

As my grandfather taught me, never argue with folks who sign your paycheck, cook your food, or carry weapons.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
Yeah, best not to argue. especially if your there for one day. all they have to do is dig up a crime committed 10 years ago in which the criminal vaguely matches your description, then lock you up for a week until they decide to drop charges. ruin your whole day they will.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Aug 1, 2014, imgic wrote:
Unfortunately from other postings, it's not only the town/city/village laws...but individual police officers' knowledge and interpretation of the laws. The local laws may well allow busking, but the officer isn't clear on the point and will ask you to move along.

As my grandfather taught me, never argue with folks who sign your paycheck, cook your food, or carry weapons.

Your grandfather gave good advice.

I carry printouts of the laws in NYC and they've been helpful at times. To be fair to the police the laws are overly specific on one hand, and vague on the other. From their viewpoint what we do disturbs the status quo, the normal flow of the spot. Telling us to stop/move on is the simplest way for them to restore it.
I've found that it's the personality of the particular officer that matters the most. If they're easy going they're likely to listen to you, if they even approach you in the first place. If they are the more rigid type then you're moving.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
When you're working a pitch at a regular spot it's not a bad idea to have at least a nodding acquaintance with security guys, I reckon. Get to know their names, maybe. Over a period of time you can become accepted as 'o.k.' to them.

A by-law restricting busking may exist in print, but the crunch for buskers is the extent to which it gets applied by authority figures.
The presentation makes the magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Don't busk in Wildwood, New Jersey (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL