The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Double Cross by Mark Southworth (From Magic Smith) (120 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14~15..20~21~22 [Next]
MoonRazor
View Profile
Special user
773 Posts

Profile of MoonRazor
It was nice of Dan Sperry to tip the method in the promo video.....
ScienceMagic1616
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of ScienceMagic1616
Black tack sticking to your skin too much and leaving black smudges?

It happened to me until I contacted Mark and he gave a great solution I wanted to pass on: Go to the local office supply store and buy a pack of cheap thumb tac, either blue or white. $3 will buy a lifetime supply. Break off a small piece of the black tack that comes with double cross, and mix it with the cheap thumb tac. Do it in increments until you get a consistency you like. The black tack is so dark you can mix 1 part black with 5 parts white thumb tac and its still almost dead black. The stickiness deceases only slightly and I find it works perfectly after diluting it in thumb tac. I'm in Los Angeles. Hotter climate = more sticky.

This trick is the bomb, don't let the too sticky tack get in the way. Its much worse to have the opposite problem lol.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4644 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Nov 29, 2015, ReviewerMaster wrote:
Just got this and realized it's exactly the same effect taught on a sansmind sharpie DVD. From the routining to the way the ink is used. Not to be a magic police or something. Just out of curiosity because I may have an up and coming release myself, what's considered a rip off? I've seen on the Café some members purposely give certain people or company a hard time, yet the very same case from specific artist or company, no one says anything. Would love to know your thoughts.

You need to read the entire thread.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12050 Posts

Profile of John C
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Kuroth
View Profile
Veteran user
Deep In the Heart of Texas
315 Posts

Profile of Kuroth
Quote:

Is this site legit? The price is so low.. Just making sure there is not already Chinese knockoffs out there..
Chapter 18 (Member circa 1938)
Jean-Luc.R.
View Profile
Inner circle
QUEBEC - CANADA
1398 Posts

Profile of Jean-Luc.R.
Quote:
On Jan 9, 2016, Kuroth wrote:
Quote:

Is this site legit? The price is so low.. Just making sure there is not already Chinese knockoffs out there..

madhattermagicshop.com is a great place to shop and already on the web since so many years !
Bill Groome, Proprietor
Madhatter Magic Shop
106 Merry Dr.
Lexington, S.C. 29072
Kuroth
View Profile
Veteran user
Deep In the Heart of Texas
315 Posts

Profile of Kuroth
Cool.. Thank you.. I ordered at that great price.. Will do more business with them..
Chapter 18 (Member circa 1938)
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12050 Posts

Profile of John C
What a beautiful prop!!
ku7uk3
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of ku7uk3
A review:

The prop:

What you get is a gimmick that looks like a sharpie pen. Its end is slightly different but I doubt anyone would notice. You cannot use this pen for any other routine though. It is not something you can write on cards with. So this pen can only be used for this effect.

The writing on the pen will fade away, as it will with any sharpie. It will probally last as long as the ink inside will last. I don't know how full the ink cartridges inside are, but since they are already selling refills, I imagine it cant do too many performances.

The entire prop is self contained. There is no messy substances in yoru pocket or additional stuff to worry about. However the sticky end may pick up lint, hairs and dirt while in the pocket affecting its performance. You also have to be careful that it does not touch the fabric too much. However it looks manageable and is small enough to evade most problems.

The sticky side is fine from new, but depending on how much dirt gets to it, will affect how long it will last for. It should be easy to replace with some other sticky substance like bees wax though. But my guess is once the ink runs out, it will have all aged together anyway and you'll just buy another when that time comes.

The effect:

This is very, very strong. It does floor them away. The magic happens in their hand and the cross shape helps add to the wtf moment. Similar tricks have been used with lipstick and dots, but the shape is a real fooler. The fact that it has vanished from your hand, and is permanently on there hand is great. There is no gimmick to hide as its all contained in the pen which is justified by you drawing the cross on your hand.

However this is a one-on-one effect. You can perform it for groups, but usually someone else wants it done on them after, which is a problem as they are watching more closely and likely to turn their hand over too early. So getting out off doing any repeat performances may be an issue, especially if table hopping.

Its also small / micro magic as the cross is tiny and while it would work great around the bar and on the street, will be limited by the size of your audience.

Cost / Value:

Perhaps its a little more expensive than I would like. I know magic is a specilist subject with a limited market. That dealers take 2/3 of the price if not more. The manufactoring cost comes out of the creators portion which effects its retail price. So to the consumer who thinks all they are geiing for there $60 is a sharpie pen; its going to seem dear. But this pen is not for you, its for the professionals. The tv and street artists like Dynamo, Blaine and Angel. People with money to spend.

It will need replacing eventually, and refills might keep it going for a while. But all props if used properly need replacing. Even playing cards have a lifespan. Coins get grubby and money gets tacky. Using any prop tarnishes it slightly. The fact that a pen needs replacing shouldnt be a surpirse to anyone.

And when I compare it to say forks that cost me 25p ($50) each time I do the trick, which will give me better value for money? I GUESS they are about the same, so each perfomance will cost you 25p worth of ink.

I do think this is worth buying and using whenever the opportunity allows, its super strong and looks straight out of a TV magic special. College student, hobbyiest and youtubers will find it the most useful. But even professionals will find a place for it, just not as often.
jamo425
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of jamo425
I love how practical this effect is. Usually I would do this as a stand alone effect if I'm out at the bar or whatever. You can do this if your doing walkaround too as long as you find a way to fit with your routine. But this is really strong, I'd use it to close if I did this doing walkaround. People just freak when they look at their hand, and what's great is I find a lot of times they say "wait but you never touched/came near me..." Chris teaches the whole loading process after you introduce the marker. But personally I like to load before I bring it out. I usually go something like.. "so you ever see the trick..blah blah blah? OK we're gonna try something like that, could you hold out your hands?" Do the move. THEN introduce the sharpie. Done this way, you'll be completely hands off for the rest of the trick and although no one has figured the trick out yet, I feel this way would make it that much harder for them to backtrack. Give it a try!
Alex R. Weinberg
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of Alex R. Weinberg
I just saw this in person and had time to play around with the gimmick.

I am impressed and can give it my recommendation.

-Alex
gassaox
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of gassaox
I have got to say this is one of the best simplest tricks around,just put in your pocket and you ready to go.The reactions you get are priceless.
ruzifa
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of ruzifa
This could easily pair with Agus Cross and Alan's Smoke... Hmmm...
Markus Ng
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of Markus Ng
Really good, totally would recommend it. Performed it and no one realised how I did it although I showed it to the people who are already familiar with my tricks. Only downside is that it is a little pricey but you can always buy the refills at Smith's website. Its expensive but I feel its worth the money.
Legendary Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
The Wizard , The Legend 162,885,947,3659,
1694 Posts

Profile of Legendary Wizard
Ink moving plots had always been an amazement , this is no exception , especially in the spectator's hands . Maybe a routine themed around moving ink/holes will be a killer
" Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one " ...

- Albert Einstein
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2404 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Finally took the plunge. Expensive but absolutely killer. Much stronger than I thought it would be. Perfect "propless" trick.
Uncle Joe
View Profile
Regular user
Japan
181 Posts

Profile of Uncle Joe
Any ideas on routines other than the straight forward transposition?
bluesmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of bluesmagic
Mine should arrive soon !
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12050 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Feb 7, 2016, Uncle Joe wrote:

isn't that enough?
ruzifa
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of ruzifa
Quote:
On Feb 7, 2016, Uncle Joe wrote:

You could do the inverse... Or pair up with Tjiu's Cross and Alan's Smoke...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Double Cross by Mark Southworth (From Magic Smith) (120 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14~15..20~21~22 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL