The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Double Cross by Mark Southworth (From Magic Smith) (120 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..20~21~22 [Next]
Legendary Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
The Wizard , The Legend 162,885,947,3659,
1694 Posts

Profile of Legendary Wizard
Quote:
On Aug 10, 2014, J-Mac wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 10, 2014, Magician560 wrote:

Some advertising text may be misleading . But I don't see the reason why Magic Smith will be doing so . Perhaps they should include a normal marker that matches the one used in the video .

I'm not asking for a "normal marker", nor am I complaining about misleading advertising. I'm just noting that the marker/pen used in the video doesn’t appear to be a Sharpie, and if it is not then what is it? Video doesn’t show it clearly enough to see what it actually is.

Why do I think I need to know? Because at $60.00 I want to know exactly what props I am getting. That's all.

Jim

I know . That's why I say magic smith won't be doing any misleading trailers . As for normal marker , I am just stating that I hope they could include one . Just so in the end I can use it as a signature marker before doing Double Cross . Smile
" Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one " ...

- Albert Einstein
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8420 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Chris stated that he will start wholesales in approx 4 weeks.
PendletonThe3rd
View Profile
Special user
704 Posts

Profile of PendletonThe3rd
Quote:
On Aug 8, 2014, PendletonThe3rd wrote:

If I had to be nit picky, I would have preferred that the sharpie be a bit more accurate to the real thing in a certain aesthetic regard. At the risk of exposure, I wont say what it is about it, aesthetically, but to be fair, I could tell this from watching the demo and purchased it anyway. So not a huge deal, but it seems as though they could have made it to the actual aesthetic design of a Sharpie Fine Point and still have the Double Cross Sharpie do its thing. For all I know, though, maybe the design is an actual Sharpie one and I'm just not familiar with it?

To clarify what I wrote above, it is a branded Sharpie Fine Point. Pretty much accurate except for one area which you can see on the demo. It obviously is that way to facilitate the Double Cross effect but I was just pointing out that it seems perhaps they could have made that area true to form and still accomplish what needs doing. But what do I know...I could be wrong about that.

Either way, the few times I have performed this, there is zero heat on the Sharpie. Even if they do look at it, it doesn't stand out to an average person. They don't pay as much attention to Sharpies as we do Smile Further, you can hold it so as not to show that area and nobody will think anything of it.

Anyway, ive been playing with this still all weekend, and just love it. Get's great reaction every time.

In playing it more, though, I have noticed another nitpick with regards to a certain residue left on the finger but best to discuss that downstairs. If anyone who has this is experiencing similar things, let me know downstairs. Again, this is not a huge deal as it relates to a certain "accessory" the kit comes with that you don't have to necessarily use.
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4205 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Note by Matt Scone,could this not do the same thing? and cheaper,did not like it at the time but I may well take it out of the drawer and rewatch it.
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4205 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
After watching Mat scone's NOTE,never liked it before and had it quite a few years glad I have got it out of the drawer now. I used it in conjunction with a peek and a frixion pen,quite a good reation on the nest door neighbour,lol,so for me this thread as resurected an old trick for me,not saying Double Cross is the same or that Note is any better just has peeked my interest in this type of routine,all the best with it.
Michael Jay
View Profile
Regular user
Toledo, Ohio
172 Posts

Profile of Michael Jay
I told myself that I wouldn't post on this thread anymore simply because of the old adage that you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. I see that adage personified by the arguments being brought up by other members of this site who seem to believe that power in magic is derived from the props a magician uses rather than the magician himself. While I find such misguided beliefs to be distressing, nowhere is it more pathetic than in the member who flits from thread to thread in the Latest and Greatest forum of this site singing the praises of everything new and entreating everyone to spend lots of money out of one side of his face while attempting to make me look the fool because I rail against such silly and imprudent practices from the other side of his face.

The previous two posts make my argument in spades. Fire Starter has had a specific prop in his bottom drawer (Matt Sconce's "Note") and never realized the power behind it until this product was released. In turn, lots of folks are going to buy up "Double Cross" and do exactly the same - into the bottom drawer it will go until the next latest and greatest comes out and then maybe, just maybe, they'll resurrect it and start using it. Until then, it will be money thrown out. Maybe, though, the new product will be $100.00 and they won't want to pay that price and will say to themselves, "Oh, yea, that's right...I had a product that did the same thing for a fraction of the cost...I guess I should have a look at it again."

And through all of this guys like me are chuckling to themselves saying, "I was doing that trick when I was 10 years old and getting the same reactions that these 'professionals' are getting, all the while trying to sell me that trick wrapped up in a different package."

One guy on this thread is claiming that the Sharpie trick is different than the one I do already. No, it's not. What is the trick? When you boil it down to its essence, what is the trick? A mark transposes from one hand to another in an impossible fashion. That's it. That's the trick. Use a Sharpie, use ashes, or use a freshly picked booger - it's the same *** trick. The only difference is the skill of the magician to make it powerful. Some magicians need a special prop, a gimmicked Sharpie, to make it powerful. That doesn't change the fact that it is a mark on one hand transposing to another. That's the long and short of it - it's the same *** trick. Trying to claim that somehow it's a different trick if you use a Sharpie comes down to qualia and Mary's room.

What is really disheartening on this thread, though, is how many among us are prepared to pay a guy for a trick he ripped off from another guy. Everyone talks about how nice a guy Gary Jones is, but all of them appear to be prepared to bend him over just so that they can buy his ripped off idea from someone else. Further exacerbating the situation is that having this Sharpie doesn't make you a better or more powerful magician, regardless of what you tell yourself.

Again, pathetic.

Mike.
You can get the latest issues of Top Hat by clicking here.
Visit us on FaceBook by clicking here.
Joe Roberts
View Profile
Special user
693 Posts

Profile of Joe Roberts
Quote:
On Aug 12, 2014, Michael Jay wrote:
One guy on this thread is claiming that the Sharpie trick is different than the one I do already. No, it's not. What is the trick? When you boil it down to its essence, what is the trick? A mark transposes from one hand to another in an impossible fashion. That's it. That's the trick. Use a Sharpie, use ashes, or use a freshly picked booger - it's the same *** trick. The only difference is the skill of the magician to make it powerful. Some magicians need a special prop, a gimmicked Sharpie, to make it powerful. That doesn't change the fact that it is a mark on one hand transposing to another. That's the long and short of it - it's the same *** trick. Trying to claim that somehow it's a different trick if you use a Sharpie comes down to qualia and Mary's room.

Hey, good point! So by this logic, telling someone to think of one of three shapes and telling them what it is is the same as having them think of any word in the english language and telling them what it is. In both you're reading their mind. So it's the same trick. Don't you people get it? It's exactly the same trick. If you make ashes appear on their palm, or a tattoo, that's the same trick. Because spectators are super dumb and can't work out that some things are more difficult than others. If you told a random layperson to secretly get a smudge of ash on someone, or secretly draw an x on them, they would see these two things as the exact same level of difficulty.

Thanks, Michael Jay, for your trenchant insights!
Michael Jay
View Profile
Regular user
Toledo, Ohio
172 Posts

Profile of Michael Jay
Like I said, you can lead a horse to water...

If you've done your job, the level of difficulty means nothing. If it did, then making a card come to top of a deck would be scoffed at when someone else has already made the Statue of Liberty disappear.

Please feel free to further continue your childish, sarcastic, rants.

Mike.
You can get the latest issues of Top Hat by clicking here.
Visit us on FaceBook by clicking here.
Joe Roberts
View Profile
Special user
693 Posts

Profile of Joe Roberts
Quote:
Like I said, you can lead a horse to water...

If you've done your job, the level of difficulty means nothing. If it did, then making a card come to top of a deck would be scoffed at when someone else has already made the Statue of Liberty disappear.

Mike.

So now you're attempting to argue that "level of difficulty means nothing." Oh, only "if you've done your job." I get it. Well, our job is to do difficult, if not impossible things. So yes, I'd say level of difficulty just might come into the equation.
CarlMcCoy
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of CarlMcCoy
Quote:

Mike.

Well you seem to be doing a fairly good job on your own Michael.
Legendary Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
The Wizard , The Legend 162,885,947,3659,
1694 Posts

Profile of Legendary Wizard
Based on so many good reviews , I decided to change my mind and reconsider buying this effect . As many mentioned this is self contained . Which is one good point that I like about this .

And lol ... calm down guys ...
" Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one " ...

- Albert Einstein
Exitmat
View Profile
Special user
642 Posts

Profile of Exitmat
Just got this and absolutely love it. I've always loved the Super Sharpie that MagicSmith makes, and this is a sort of spin on that but with a totally different effect. This is the most practical version of the effects it's based on (Ashes on Palm, Stars and Hexes, Exile, etc.) I've come across as there's nothing to carry but the pen, and there's no mess or clean up that needs to be done afterwards. I also like that the marking is a clear bold "X" in marker as opposed to just a smudge of some substance. That's a nice added layer of deception. As far as the prop itself is concerned, the pen is really well-made and the entire effect is self-contained. The "X" on the spectator's hand always comes out nice and bold and dark too. The handling is very easy. This definitely will not end up in my junk drawer. If you like what you see in the demo, you will not be disappointed.
rasmus
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland
1692 Posts

Profile of rasmus
I received Double Cross 2 weeks ago and here is my Review:

The Gimmick you receive is outstanding! It's completely self contained and gives you 100% Security
to handle.

The Video Download is very well made and Chris covers everything you need to know.

The Effect itself is super strong and even stronger because of the X that you transfer from one Hand
to the other. Much stronger then ashes or a lipstick dot, because in the Head of the Spectator it is a real drawing and it exactly looks like a drawn X.

The X Impression looks perfect every time. Because of the Fact, that the Gimmick is selfcontained, you don't have to ditch anything or bring anything aside.

The Gimmick is in full view and not detactable. I tried many similar effects with the same approach but double cross is definetly the winner.

The Gimmick is extremely well made and will probably last man years, since you can refill it by yourself.

The skill Level you need is zero.

This Tool is definetly worth the asked Price if not more IMHO. Special Thanks to Mark Southworth for this wonderful Idea:)

I can highly recommand Double Cross
A World without Magic is a World without Dreams and Hope:)

Creator of: STEEL (performed by Dynamo), X-RAY, Real Coin Bend (performed by Dynamo), Totally Crazy Bands, Rasmus Haunted Deck, MCF CARDS, Jawbreaker, CRAZY CARD CHANGE, POLTERGEIST
www.rasmusmagic.ch
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8420 Posts

Profile of pegasus
I still cannot understand why this item has not gone wholesale yet. I'm fed up with asking Chris.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8420 Posts

Profile of pegasus
I've caved in and ordered. Just a long wait now via Air-Mail. Smile
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5322 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Nice review Rasmus.

Thanks!

Jim
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1138 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
SKILL LEVEL ZERO! I'M IN!
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8420 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Still waiting from Nov 04th. This is why I rarely order from the States. It's spent a week at LA and it has now arrived in Canada. I live in the UK. Go figure.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
3939 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Ordered mine and it arrived in two days. Chris is great and his teaching is always thorough and clear. Rasmus pretty much says it all but I would say the skill level needed is higher than zero. The gimmick is self contained but you still need to manage the choreography similar to using a regular Super Sharpie. Top notch and worth the price if you will actually use it. I would not use this for corporate gigs because of the permanent ink on the spectator's hand but this would kill in a bar or less formal setting.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8420 Posts

Profile of pegasus
I finally received mine, no fault of Chris' but duff info from USPS. It's turns out I now have 2 and Chris has told me to keep both. However, I want to pay Steve back so anyone in the UK wants this effect very quickly then please PM me. Thanks.

This is a brilliant effect and the cross is printed perfectly on the specs hand which leaves them dumbfounded. Very happy with my purchase.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Double Cross by Mark Southworth (From Magic Smith) (120 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..20~21~22 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL