The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Double Cross by Mark Southworth (From Magic Smith) (120 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11..20~21~22 [Next]
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1317 Posts

Profile of Jared
Double Cross is now one of my favorite strolling effects. I've had this for a couple of months but it stayed in my drawer because I was not comfortable with the "saliva move" for lack of better description. I also found that saliva was less than reliable at times. Somebody posted on this thread about a finger moist pad that you could put in your pocket, and so I found one on EBay. The finger pad worked great (erases the mark perfectly) but it was too large. The pad took almost an entire pocket. And so I visited a local Walgreen's store and found a teenager's eye shadow case, which is slightly larger than a half dollar. I cut the foam pad from the finger moist pad to size and it works perfectly! My pocket stays dry but yet it retains moisture for hours. I finally performed Double Cross over the weekend to great success. Trust me, this little finger pad makes ALL the difference...it's 100% reliable and the action is motivated (putting the pen away)plus you can get just the right amount of moisture without your fingers being dripping wet. If you own Double Cross you should give this a try.
Michael Jay
View Profile
Regular user
Toledo, Ohio
174 Posts

Profile of Michael Jay
This is excellent, Jared. May I suggest that you approach the creators/producers with this idea? This would be the perfect addition to the 2.0 product when it emerges (and it will emerge).

Mike.
You can get the latest issues of Top Hat by clicking here.
Visit us on FaceBook by clicking here.
David Klass
View Profile
Special user
Beckenham, England
909 Posts

Profile of David Klass
It was myself who mentioned the use of a "pocket pad".

You can see the post on page 5 of this thread.

A smaller version is a good idea too.
Michael Jay
View Profile
Regular user
Toledo, Ohio
174 Posts

Profile of Michael Jay
Oh, you tricky, tricky guys! Swunnerful! Smile

Mike.
You can get the latest issues of Top Hat by clicking here.
Visit us on FaceBook by clicking here.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4798 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On May 31, 2015, Jared wrote:
Double Cross is now one of my favorite strolling effects. I've had this for a couple of months but it stayed in my drawer because I was not comfortable with the "saliva move" for lack of better description. I also found that saliva was less than reliable at times. Somebody posted on this thread about a finger moist pad that you could put in your pocket, and so I found one on EBay. The finger pad worked great (erases the mark perfectly) but it was too large. The pad took almost an entire pocket. And so I visited a local Walgreen's store and found a teenager's eye shadow case, which is slightly larger than a half dollar. I cut the foam pad from the finger moist pad to size and it works perfectly! My pocket stays dry but yet it retains moisture for hours. I finally performed Double Cross over the weekend to great success. Trust me, this little finger pad makes ALL the difference...it's 100% reliable and the action is motivated (putting the pen away)plus you can get just the right amount of moisture without your fingers being dripping wet. If you own Double Cross you should give this a try.

Jared, thanks for trying out the finger moist pad and reporting your findings and improvements back here. Happy to hear that it sounds like a great solution.
I will try and recreate what you have described as I have problems with the vanish part as well.
Thanks again,
Bill
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1317 Posts

Profile of Jared
Update: I've been carrying around my small finger moist pad for hours at a time. When wearing tighter pants such as jeans there's a small chance that your inside pocket might become a teeny bit damp if it's in direct contact with the foam pad...so yesterday I improved the solution.

Here's how...again, using the same eye shadow case (Brand name Elf duo eye shadow Net Wt. 4 grams)with the fitted foam pad inside. I removed the plastic cover that gets fitted inside the outer retaining ring and replaced it with a cut to size rounded piece of soft plastic from the cover of a Pringles can. Then I took an X-acto knife and cut a round hole just large enough to permit my finger to dip inside (no chance for wetness)...the result is perfection! I will try and post a photo later tonight. The total pocket space needed for this little homemade device is only 1.5" or 38mm.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8423 Posts

Profile of pegasus
My pants always end up wet after a few beers anyway so no need for gimmicks IMO.
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1317 Posts

Profile of Jared
A picture is worth a thousand words. Here is the prototype for my finger wet carrier accessory. As you can see it's very compact, and will keep your pockets dry.

Click here to view attached image.
Slackerking
View Profile
Special user
613 Posts

Profile of Slackerking
Just bought this at the LA Penguin magic expo even though I felt like it was way overpriced. It looks so good in person and fits perfectly with X Move from Something Out of the Ordinary by Nicholas Lawrence that I couldn't resist. Really pleased with them together, flat out kills.,
ScienceMagic1616
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of ScienceMagic1616
Just had to write about this effect because it has gotten me amazing reactions. Unexpected because when I got the trick and practiced the method I thought no one would fall for it -- I was wrong... I've had people's jaw drop. Prop will last a long time, I have handed it out when requested pretty much without issue (caught once, person had sweaty hands.) If you are on the fence about it -- go for it. Also Mark has the best customer service I have ever seen.

Tip: I find that putting the X in the middle of my palm works best, softer skin. I then display an open hand -- palm up. I put "treated" index finger on X for 5 secs while I talk, then I pinch it off using my nails of index and thumb to lightly scrap. It then appears on their hands which is the "WTF!!!" reaction.
mikenewman
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland, home of the TAXED
1085 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
Quote:
On Apr 30, 2015, eddie2m wrote:
I LOVE this trick. It's so easy to perform and is self contained. I ask them if they know about pirates. Then I do the move as I ask them who their favorite pirate is. I tell them about the treasure map and ask them what they use to show where the treasure is. They say X. I draw X on my hand then close my hand. I say the X on the treasure map moves around so the pirate tricks people into going to the wrong spot. Then I show it disappeared from my hand and goes to theirs. It fries them.
Rob

Love this idea!!!!
I'm on vacation at the beach w family. We have a talent show Saturday and I'm going to use this. Thank you for sharing!!

I'm also going to do Deans Beads before or after this. The beads will be "pirate beads"

Now I just need some gold coins and a $he!!.

:)
Infographicmagicreviews
View Profile
Regular user
Nelson
126 Posts

Profile of Infographicmagicreviews
Can someone point out the different between this and SansMinds Sharpie?

There is a huge price gap between these two product. SansMinds Sharpie $35 (you could get a mini version for $25) and Double Cross is $60.

Does Double Cross have a significant improvement or does it include something extra? After all it is $25 more than the SM sharpie or $35 more than the pocket sm sharpie..
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1317 Posts

Profile of Jared
Yes, buy Chris Smith's...he's one of the nicest guys in the industry and he makes reliable products. SansMinds....ah, don't get me started.
Joaquin
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

Profile of Joaquin
I received an email today from Theory11 promoting this effect.

I like it and went ahead and order it. However, I also liked a lot the first card effect that Dan White performs. Can anyone let me know the name of the first effect

Here is the link

https://store.theory11.com/products/doub......uthworth
Gregory Wilson
View Profile
V.I.P.
87 Posts

Profile of Gregory Wilson
Just got off the phone with Chad Long who told me all the contention that is being bandied about with Double Cross. Well, are you ready for even more scuttlebutt? Chris Smith and I were partners twenty years ago and this idea, called "The X'r," was from our project board way back then! No, I didn't make the "X" translocate from my hand to their hand. But I did have the idea of an "X" that gets transferred to the spectator's palm via a stamp. There were two methods: A) An ink pad on my finger. B) A self-contained ink pad in the Sharpie -- just like the Super Sharpie that Chris "borrowed" from me many years ago.

I've never mentioned it publicly before since I shy away from controversy until it hits me square in the face, but the primary reason I split my partnership with Chris about ten years ago was that his hands were much too sticky where they didn't belong for far too long.

Granted, Gary Jones very well might have thought of this trick independently. He's a very clever chap. And now, unfortunately, he has to experience the same stinging pain of betrayal that I have from Chris NUMEROUS times.

Even worse, is that I can no longer put out MY OWN trick without looking like a thief from Chris!!! The only defense he had at Magic Live was that other people thought of the same trick. Perhaps, but they were not Chris' partner -- firmly and fully aware of the EXACT IDEA for TWO DECADES. In short, Chris should have treated this effect like Kryptonite!

His pattern is truly shameful.
gjmagic
View Profile
Special user
UK
970 Posts

Profile of gjmagic
Quote:
On Aug 25, 2015, Gregory Wilson wrote:
Just got off the phone with Chad Long who told me all the contention that is being bandied about with Double Cross. Well, are you ready for even more scuttlebutt? Chris Smith and I were partners twenty years ago and this idea, called "The X'r," was from our project board way back then! No, I didn't make the "X" translocate from my hand to their hand. But I did have the idea of an "X" that gets transferred to the spectator's palm via a stamp. There were two methods: A) An ink pad on my finger. B) A self-contained ink pad in the Sharpie -- just like the Super Sharpie that Chris "borrowed" from me many years ago.

I've never mentioned it publicly before since I shy away from controversy until it hits me square in the face, but the primary reason I split my partnership with Chris about ten years ago was that his hands were much too sticky where they didn't belong for far too long.

Granted, Gary Jones very well might have thought of this trick independently. He's a very clever chap. And now, unfortunately, he has to experience the same stinging pain of betrayal that I have from Chris NUMEROUS times.

Even worse, is that I can no longer put out MY OWN trick without looking like a thief from Chris!!! The only defense he had at Magic Live was that other people thought of the same trick. Perhaps, but they were not Chris' partner -- firmly and fully aware of the EXACT IDEA for TWO DECADES. In short, Chris should have treated this effect like Kryptonite!

His pattern is truly shameful.

Wow! I must admit, when I came up with the idea I was quite surprised it hadn't been done before, up until then I had been using a number of methods including Rocco's and one I had made myself inside a TT. All of these methods are great but they all involved a separate ink pad. I also used an impromptu method with a sharpie, basically I would remove the cap from a mini sharpie and mark their hand, much like the ash trick. It was then I had the idea of a stamp built into the sharpie!

I don't want to keep bringing up the sordid history of being double crossed by Mark Southworth, his role in this fiasco was, he knew of someone who could make it for me, and that was it, although he claims it was his (Mark and I both mentioned other stamps like symbols etc, but this was after I had told him of my original idea of a self-contained unit) Enough about that, the truth is known by those that matter, but it is strange that Mark hasn't even promoted "his" product?

Now obviously I had no idea that Gregory Wilson had also come up with this idea many years ago so Greg was also shafted, this is also terrible. So both Gregory and I have been shafted well good and proper, Greg more than I because he had the idea way before I did!

I know most people don't really care these days about this type of theft, most are just happy that the effect is great and and they have great fun using it, but for creators it leaves us cold. It's not the money, or anything to do with ego, it's all about trust and respect!

I'm really sorry to hear this Greg, it was bad enough for me being ripped off by a so called mate, it must be even worse for you.

The most annoying thing is, hundreds have been sold and a few pockets have been lined in gold and it wasn't even their idea.

Not much more I can say, there are those who wouldn't believe Greg or I, there are those who don't care full stop. The thing is, it's out there with the wrong crediting, not much can be done about that now.....which is a real pity!

Gary Jones.
MIMC Gold Star

www.garyjonesmagic.com

gary@garyjonesmagic.com

DVDs/Effects; The Unknown - iCandy - More iCandy 1 & 2 - Dupes - 52 0n 1 Project - 74% Self Working - Flying Tonight - Pocket This - 6 Pack Coins - 6 Pack Cards - Thought Wave - Noted - Duality - Live Lecture Vol 1 - Pseudo Pickpocket - iContact - Shock Twist - Thought of Cards Across Plus - Touched - Colour Diffusion - Look No Hands Wayne Dobson - Automata - Box Pad - No Frills Lecture Notes 1 & 2 - The Ammo - Double Cross - Initial Here - Automata 2 - Black Market - Trick Soup - Automata 3 - Penguin Live Lecture - Upper Hand - Cartoon Capers - Life's a Beach Vol 1.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8423 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Well I think Chris gave you both plenty of time to release your version, which you didn't, so I don't see the problem. I for one am glad Chris finally released it to the magic community.
benmagic1
View Profile
Regular user
London
179 Posts

Profile of benmagic1
Quote:
On Aug 25, 2015, pegasus wrote:
Well I think Chris gave you both plenty of time to release your version, which you didn't, so I don't see the problem. I for one am glad Chris finally released it to the magic community.

I think you had better check your facts, this isn't the case !

And if this were true, it is still theft, as Gary clearly mentions above, people no longer care about theft, as your comment cleary shows !

Ben
Sussex/Kent/Surrey Wedding Photographer and Magician. Ben's Photography
Surrey/Sussex/Kent Magician
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5322 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I think it's a shame that there's such disputes over the origin of the prop. However I don’t feel bad about having purchased it. There's no other such prop available to purchase.

Greg, Gary: What would be your recommendations regarding purchasing Double Cross? If I had known at the time when I made the purchase I would certainly looked for the version that was the original, but I don’t believe there are any other versions of this out there.

Thanks!

Jim
Gregory Wilson
View Profile
V.I.P.
87 Posts

Profile of Gregory Wilson
Wow, Pegasus, really?!?!

If you're happy that Chris greedily released something that WASN'T HIS to the magic community, I think your moral compass needs a little tune up.

And, frankly, I'm glad to hear your honesty though, since I can finally put a face to the anonymous consumers who don't care about creative propriety or provenance.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Double Cross by Mark Southworth (From Magic Smith) (120 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11..20~21~22 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL