The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Double Cross by Mark Southworth (From Magic Smith) (120 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7..20~21~22 [Next]
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3747 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
My difficulty with it is due to the small size of the gimmick and how you handle it, I keep on getting ink and "x"s on my own fingers while trying to manipulate the gimmick in position.
Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
rasmus
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland
1692 Posts

Profile of rasmus
Quote:
On Nov 15, 2014, emyers99 wrote:
Ordered mine and it arrived in two days. Chris is great and his teaching is always thorough and clear. Rasmus pretty much says it all but I would say the skill level needed is higher than zero. The gimmick is self contained but you still need to manage the choreography similar to using a regular Super Sharpie. Top notch and worth the price if you will actually use it. I would not use this for corporate gigs because of the permanent ink on the spectator's hand but this would kill in a bar or less formal setting.

i use it at corporate events but do not transpose the X to the spec hand but instead to a lighter, businesscard or matchbox etc.
while the spectator is holding the fairly examined object, the x that is drawn onto his hand, moves over to the object and is permanently on.

that's my method for corporate events without spectators having permanent ink on their hands.

enjoy
Smile
A World without Magic is a World without Dreams and Hope:)

Creator of: STEEL (performed by Dynamo), X-RAY, Real Coin Bend (performed by Dynamo), Totally Crazy Bands, Rasmus Haunted Deck, MCF CARDS, Jawbreaker, CRAZY CARD CHANGE, POLTERGEIST
www.rasmusmagic.ch
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8420 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Nov 19, 2014, magicinsight wrote:
My difficulty with it is due to the small size of the gimmick and how you handle it, I keep on getting ink and "x"s on my own fingers while trying to manipulate the gimmick in position.
Michael

I prepare that beforehand, out of sight, so I'm all ready to go off the bat. Although you can do it in front of them, as per the instructions, it can become a bit messy I agree.
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3747 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Rasmus,

Thank you for the tips and suggestions in your PM. I sincerely appreciate your help.

Best wishes,

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1566 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Oh that is a smart alternative when it would be impolite to leave a spectators hand inked. Nice tip Rasmus! Smile

Quote:
On Nov 19, 2014, rasmus wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 15, 2014, emyers99 wrote:
Ordered mine and it arrived in two days. Chris is great and his teaching is always thorough and clear. Rasmus pretty much says it all but I would say the skill level needed is higher than zero. The gimmick is self contained but you still need to manage the choreography similar to using a regular Super Sharpie. Top notch and worth the price if you will actually use it. I would not use this for corporate gigs because of the permanent ink on the spectator's hand but this would kill in a bar or less formal setting.

i use it at corporate events but do not transpose the X to the spec hand but instead to a lighter, businesscard or matchbox etc.
while the spectator is holding the fairly examined object, the x that is drawn onto his hand, moves over to the object and is permanently on.

that's my method for corporate events without spectators having permanent ink on their hands.

enjoy
Smile
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
3938 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Great ideas. Thanks!

Anyone having trouble getting the X to disappear from your hand? Seems to only work sporadically for me.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5322 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
On Nov 22, 2014, emyers99 wrote:
Great ideas. Thanks!

Anyone having trouble getting the X to disappear from your hand? Seems to only work sporadically for me.

I'm having some difficulty, but I just received Double Cross yesterday and have only practiced it several times. I was hoping that I just hadn't gotten the right "touch" yet. That still might be my problem.

Jim
Exitmat
View Profile
Special user
642 Posts

Profile of Exitmat
I do the vanish different and haven't had any problem making it disappear. I draw the X in the center of my hand (which is the same place it appears on their hand) and "pinch" it off and throw it toward their hand. Comes off every time. Always gets a great reaction. This is my favorite effect I've bought all year. After using it for a week I immediately bought a back-up.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5322 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Great idea! I'll have to give that a try.

Jim
SimonTheSorcerer
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of SimonTheSorcerer
Have the same problem with the method taught on the dvd...will try the pinch as well.

Just another problem: how do you store the pen in your pocket?! The special piece makes a lot of "dirt" when it gets a bit warmer in the pocket!
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5322 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Hi Simon.

While I really love this item, I haven't yet performed it for anyone. Until it rehearses well, I won't try it with spectators.

I simply have not found a way to steal the gimmick and then ditch it when done with it. Let alone just hold and hide it till the routine is over. Unfortunately nothing addresses that in the instructions.

Jim
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8420 Posts

Profile of pegasus
I agree J it is a bit fiddly. I have the gimmick in position before I start the short routine, and then go to my pocket to ditch.
SimonTheSorcerer
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of SimonTheSorcerer
Maybe the performance in the latest Wizard Product Review can help a bit for the timing problem of the ditching: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Senf4aNhgpg#t=8m40s

my problem is, I always have ink on my finger when I ditch the gimmick. Same problem with Super Sharpie by the way.
Exitmat
View Profile
Special user
642 Posts

Profile of Exitmat
What are you guys having trouble ditching? There's nothing to ditch. Just get the gimmick in place while you talk. When the moment is right, casually steal the gimmick off, do the move (you don't need to be in a rush to do the move either), and bring the gimmick and the place it fits into back together as your hands come together naturally. Now you have ample time to fix the gimmick snugly into place while you talk to them. None of this should really be done secretly as sleights or moves as no one should be paying attention to you fiddling with a Sharpie while you're talking to them. Be casual and the natural misdirection will cover everything you need to do. There's not much to see anyhow.

Double-Cross is the best thing I've bought in a long time. Real worker. Love it.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5322 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Exitmat, have you done anything to make the gimmick easy to take? I've worked it hard and it is still very difficult to remove. Maybe it's just magician's guilt - though I thought I'd gotten over that years ago - but I don't believe I could remove the gimmick without deception, regardless of the misdirection used. Maybe I'll put some more time in trying to make it looser.

Thank you.

Jim
Exitmat
View Profile
Special user
642 Posts

Profile of Exitmat
Quote:
On Mar 9, 2015, J-Mac wrote:
Exitmat, have you done anything to make the gimmick easy to take? I've worked it hard and it is still very difficult to remove. Maybe it's just magician's guilt - though I thought I'd gotten over that years ago - but I don't believe I could remove the gimmick without deception, regardless of the misdirection used. Maybe I'll put some more time in trying to make it looser.

Thank you.

Jim

Hey Jim,

I don't really do anything deceptive to remove the gimmick; I just do it pretty openly. I'm stealing the gimmick into position before any of the effect has started though, so there's no reason for anyone to be looking for anything. So the effect doesn't start until the gimmick is in place and ready to go. Try just taking the marker out and practice stealing off the gimmick into position in front of people without performing the effect, and I think you'll get a good grasp on the timing. It's just an off-beat thing you're doing before you're ready to present the effect. Just fiddle with the marker a little while you're talking with people, and as you do, casually steal the gimmick off without making a move out of it. Hope this helps.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3263 Posts

Profile of warren
If the x is being made to appear on an object other than the spectators hand what is it that makes this effect better than SandsMinds sharpie ?
mkarav
View Profile
Regular user
Westwood, NJ
103 Posts

Profile of mkarav
How reliable is the vanishing of the ink in the performer's hand? Is it failsafe or does it vary with faint traces left?

For the record Henry Hay in "The Amateur Magician's Handbook" describes the Pothead trick that can be done with any porous surface like a sugar cube. The interesting point of this version is the DELAY: the spec stares at their palm while the cube (with symbol drawn by say a pencil) dissolves in a glass of water or crushed on floor by shoe: THEN you ask him to place his hands over the glass and that is when you transfer the symbol to his hands.

This effect appears stronger than loading the spec right away and then revealing the symbol on his palm. After the symbol disappears in the performer's hand DELAY while spec looks is convinced his palms are clean then do the dirty work.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5322 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
On Mar 9, 2015, warren wrote:
If the x is being made to appear on an object other than the spectators hand what is it that makes this effect better than SandsMinds sharpie ?

I can't say as I had only planned and practiced this for making it on people's hands. I think that the other way you mentioned is just an alternate effect that someone mentioned they preferred. Not the main nor intended effect, AFAIK.

Jim
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5322 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Mkarav,

I would think that the spectator might be a little more expectant if he or she sees a mark vanish from your hand first. It's a natural progression for the effect. A short time delay would certainly not hurt, but I don’t think I would reverse the order as you suggest.

Jim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Double Cross by Mark Southworth (From Magic Smith) (120 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7..20~21~22 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL