The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Themed Street Show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gman
View Profile
Special user
Lancaster, pa
751 Posts

Profile of gman
Hi all, I was wondering if any of you out there ever thought about performing either a sidewalk show or a circle show based solely on one story, whether it be real or fictional? For example, Halloween is just a few months away and well, most people who perform for schools will do a magic show based on the Halloween theme.

What got me thinking of this is a couple of weeks ago I was in a locked room session on Jeff McBride’s Monday night sessions on street performing. There was a guy named Ted Nicholas, who said he does not do tricks he tells a story. Well, I thought that was a great idea and well, since I am going to Jeff’s Master Class for Street Performing in Oct., one of the effects the script I made for it was loosely based on Area 51.

Then I thought what if the whole 10 to 15 min. show based on things I found around area 51. It is just a thought, and I figured I would ask you folks opinion of it. So, is a 10 to 15 min. show that is constructed around a central storyline feasible, or do my meds need to be adjusted? What say you?
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1539 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Go for it. You've moved beyond the level of just doing tricks and begun to think about presentation(s).

My advice would be:
Structure your effects so that they lead logically into each other, if possible.
Write out your script for each effect, work into a coherent whole.
Go over it again and again, ruthlessly cutting out the effects that don't quite fit or you don't know backwards/forwards/inside out/upside down.

Be utterly ruthless with yourself- it's hard.
You may have a particular effect that you really love... if it doesn't fit your presentation thematically, cut it. Remember, you should only be doing effects you can do without thinking about them- you're focusing on the presentation now, on drawing the audience into the story. Think also about what effects the audience wants/would like to see, not the ones you favor.

Follow the three part dramatic arc:

Opening hook, build tension, release tension. Each 'set' of effects should follow this format as much as possible.

BE BIG. BE BOLD. HAVE FUN.
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
tommeepickles
View Profile
Regular user
New Orleans
163 Posts

Profile of tommeepickles
One thing I would say is comparable, are the sidewalk acts in Disneyworld Florida. They have some magicians and jugglers that are costumed and themed. They normally get a crowd there, I don't see why in another area that isn't an playground of the imagination that a costumed/themed act wouldn't work.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Costumed themed acts is a lot more common among buskers than you may realize.
Especially at large famous busking festivals it is almost the norm. I enjoyed hosting the show your talking about and the gent is Called Ted McKoy Alders the grandad of street magic. We can talk more about themes on the focus on Street Magic in Vegas. This is one of the reasons I love my Cup and Ball routine. Unlike any other cup and ball routine, I can theme my show to any theme just by changing the contents inside the glass jars. Have you seen this video of the focus on street magic, check it out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALE65MRP-hA
gman
View Profile
Special user
Lancaster, pa
751 Posts

Profile of gman
Sorry Mario I for some reason thought it was Nicholas. Mario since you like the cups and balls have you ever heard of Dixie by Ron Bauer? Here is the link it. http://www.thinklikeaconjurer.com/all24rbps/dixie/index.htm It is an interesting play on the cups and balls.
gman
View Profile
Special user
Lancaster, pa
751 Posts

Profile of gman
Ekuth Thanks for the support. Right now I am working on the premise of what if I was able to find where they dumped the failed experiments what would I find there? Now, so far the only trick I know frontwards and backwards that works with this premise is a thought projection routine from Dan Harlan. I made it up years ago and have been using it with different scripting but never as a part of a story line. I am currently looking at doing a one coin routine and naming it a stealth coin. Have to learn the routine for it. So far, it is fun putting it on paper right now.

tommeepickles, I heard they do that, but never been to Disneyworld to see for myself.

Marrio, yeah I have been watching that video at least three times a week. I am really looking forward to meeting you, Lady V, Jeff, and Abbi.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
No need to be sorry I am sure Ted wont mind. The team in Vegas are fantastic you going to love them.
Do you mean the promo video?
gman
View Profile
Special user
Lancaster, pa
751 Posts

Profile of gman
Yeah I watch the promo at least three times a week to keep my excitement up about it. Normally I am telling all my friends about it, and they normally want to know how you do the linking ropes. I just say don't know.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Cool I will show you during the focus on street magic.

Lady Vee put the McBride TV show with the focus on busking on to this thread for free.
The locked room seesion I hope Vee will add that as soon as she is able.
Check out the thread.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rt=30#22
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
I do a cowboy show on the street and I have a medieval magic show. so a themed show cane be fun and you are different.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Its a fine looking show Robert.
gman
View Profile
Special user
Lancaster, pa
751 Posts

Profile of gman
So, here is sort of an update on developing my show. I was doing research today on stealth technology so, I can use some of it in my one coin routine. That routine was going to be based off of Contractor by Russel Leeds. However, when I was watching the DVD I was thinking of what I would be saying during the performance and noticed it looked and sounded like I was teaching, not entertaining. So I decided to play what if, in other words what if instead of transposing a normal half dollar to a small one, I reverse it. I transpose a normal half dollar to a jumbo and then do a one coin routine with the jumbo half disappearing. I think it would get a chuckle. What do you folks think?

Besides Eric Evans's DVD on coin manipulation is there any DVD's or Books on Jumbo Coin Manipulation? Thanks for the help.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Themed Street Show (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL