The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » The Bouncing Magician (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Rolyan
View Profile
Special user
I'm fencing in my land; so far there are
590 Posts

Profile of Rolyan
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
I have never seen anyone who said if it does not fit their style, or they are not comfortable they still do the trick. THAT makes no sense.

On the other hand I do some effects I do not particularly like. Mainly because people like them. When you are being paid to perform you have a responsibility to the audience. What you may or may not like is not the point. It is about the audience. Period.

I don't particularly like or dislike any part of my act. It is not about me. I am not performing for me.

You may not have seen or heard anyone say that. I have. Which is why I said I don't understand it.

You say that "What you may or may not like is not the point". I disagree. I've found that if performers don't like something then it tends to show. They may not think it does, but in my experience it does. It affects their performance, so it IS the point.

So I'm sticking with my advice, it works for me and I believe it will work for do things that you enjoy, that suit your style, that you like, that you find natural AND also get a great reaction.
Rolyan
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Rolyan
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2014, Rolyan wrote:
Quote:
I have never seen anyone who said if it does not fit their style, or they are not comfortable they still do the trick. THAT makes no sense.

On the other hand I do some effects I do not particularly like. Mainly because people like them. When you are being paid to perform you have a responsibility to the audience. What you may or may not like is not the point. It is about the audience. Period.

I don't particularly like or dislike any part of my act. It is not about me. I am not performing for me.

You may not have seen or heard anyone say that. I have. Which is why I said I don't understand it.

You say that "What you may or may not like is not the point". I disagree. I've found that if performers don't like something then it tends to show. They may not think it does, but in my experience it does. It affects their performance, so it IS the point.

So I'm sticking with my advice, it works for me and I believe it will work for Redhatmagic (who I suspect has less experience than either than us). Do things that you enjoy, that suit your style, that you like, that you find natural AND also get a great reaction.

P.S. I like ALL my act, so that's something else we differ on!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Huge part of the problem with performance in heneral. Too many guys like their act and the audience doesn't matter.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Rolyan
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Rolyan
Quote:
Huge part of the problem with performance in heneral. Too many guys like their act and the audience doesn't matter.

I couldn't agree more, although that has absolutely nothing to do with what is being discussed here obviously. Which I know you know, and I know you know I know, so now you know.

Who said magic can't be educational.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You were specifically addressing liking tricks. How is it not what is being discussed?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Rolyan
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Rolyan
The audience mattering is a given. My point is that (with that as a given) you can either choose effects that you like, suit you, you find natural, in your style. Or you choose an effect that you don't like, doesn't suit you, isn't natural for you and isn't your style.

Red hat will be better choosing the first way.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » The Bouncing Magician (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL