The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Passing Of Robin Williams (28 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
You're right, Mary. The sadness was often there.
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
Quote:
On Aug 15, 2014, Mary Mowder wrote:
I disagree,

Sometimes Robin came off as very vulnerable and sad, especially when talking about the death or maiming of friends or matters of chemical dependancy.

-Mary Mowder


Would you expect happiness?
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
No,

I'm just saying that he did not always seem so happy.

-Mary
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2863 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I agree, Mary. I was going to speak to this last night but thought I'd let it go as I pretty well covered it in my first post here. Do a google images search if you like, folks, take a close look at the man. Part of what people find difficult to accept here, I think, is that it was right there, in front of everyone's eyes, and Robin knew it.

Like I said earlier, though, the only one who could be there 24/7/365 was himself, and he feared that, too, I think, because he knew there could be a great danger in it.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20428 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
As I stated I was not shocked in the least.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Comedy and tragedy are often two sides of the same coin.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Aug 14, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Outstanding movie in which his has a minor role but is great: Dead Again.

Marlana and I just returned from five days in the Sierra Nevada. On the way home we stopped in Lone Pine; I got a malt, she got an ice cream cone. One of the other patrons mentioned that Robin Williams had committed suicide this week; it was the first we'd heard of it, of course.

I'm with Danny: saddened, but not altogether surprised. Three members of my immediate family suffer from mild to sever depression, so I have some experience in that arena.

I'm with you, Lobo: great role in a good movie. I love it when Derek Jacobi reverts to Claudius.
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
I thought he was fabulous in Dead Poets Society. But, my favorite of his movies is Bicentennial Man. Made me laugh and made me cry.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I liked "Death to Smoochy" and "The Bird Cage." I think that film is one of the few American remakes of a European film where they improved on the original. Didn't finish "Bicentennial Man," wasn't offended by it or anything, I just had to leave and never got another chance to watch it. I wonder how Isaac would have felt about it.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On Aug 15, 2014, Mary Mowder wrote:
I disagree,

Sometimes Robin came off as very vulnerable and sad, especially when talking about the death or maiming of friends or matters of chemical dependancy.

-Mary Mowder


While I agree to a certain extent, I honestly think that no one ever thought that he was so depressed that it would lead to suicide.

I believe we ALL get sad talking about friends passing and our weaknesses, I just never saw the sadness that was more than that from watching Robin through the years.

But it could just be me...
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Aug 13, 2014, Salguod Nairb wrote:
Yes, but let's not put the soap box on top of the coffin.

Time and place kind of thing...


The soap box is already on the coffin. Fox News and Rush Limbaugh put it there!
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Well, O'Reilly showed some class. Not a big fan of his so I can't say if that's precedent setting or not. The reason -I- brought up "Fox News" is that, supposedly, Limbaugh is reading from a Fox News report. Which is doubly weaselly on his part since it lets him say all manner of terrible things and then back off on responsibility for them claiming; "Oh no! -I- didn't come up with those things. -I- was just reading from a report!"

Incidently (sp) Limbaugh/Fox News's contention that Robin was depressed because he "had to go back to television" is totally bunk as given by the fact that he has THREE movies coming out. Robin wasn't in television because his movie career was failing, he himself had said he took up a series because it was a "steady paycheck" and he needed alimony money.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2018 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Gold-diggers are actually what killed him.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Passing Of Robin Williams (28 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL