The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Passing Of Robin Williams (28 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Slowkneenuh, the part you're missing, I think, is that Robin Williams was a human being just like the rest of us. Talent and resources can be overwhelmed by disease. As I said earlier, this disease sets one against oneself and that can become an extremely deep hole to climb out of while shouldering an enormous weight, no matter your talent or resources. The choice becomes distorted. One feels unworthy of life. The nature of the disease leads to self destruction. It can be overcome. But the suffering of those who succumb should never be underestimated and your comment here indicates a dangerous ignorance that only fuels the stigma tossed upon the ill only because they have a mental/emotional illness. It is a biological illness, as other physical illnesses are. Mind and body aren't separate. The spirit can overcome, and the spirit can be discouraged. Understand the damage your lack of awareness and compassion can contribute to one who's already down. Hate hurts, even if the one it's tossed on recognizes the source. The fact that one makes little to no effort to understand another but instead expends energy on hate causes pain, especially to one who's empathetic to others, as Robin clearly was.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Aug 12, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Lock MY thread?! I reported it first.

LOL
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
It is just so sad.

"Popeye" is my favorite memory of Robin Williams but we do own the whole Mork and Mindy Series.

Having known and knowing some who have problems with depression, I can tell you that this is not of one's choosing.

That said, it is important to try and keep positive and seek help when it gets worse.

-Mary Mowder
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On Aug 12, 2014, slowkneenuh wrote:
Yes, it is sad that Robin Williams passed away. My sympathy as to how he chose to pass away is much less. Many people without the talent and resources that was available to him face their demons everyday and most struggle through them. The largest share of my grief is focused on mental illness and not just on this individual or those celebrities that chose a similar path of destruction. I am more sympathetic towards the hundreds of thousands of individuals faced with a life threatening illness that was not of their choosing and whom would much prefer life over death but do not have the luxury of choice.

Of concern:

One suicide can inspire other people to view suicide as an option.

Suicide takes the lives of nearly 30,000 Americans every year.

An average of one person dies by suicide every 16.2 minutes

Why does it take a celebrity to make us come together to face an issue and then quickly forget it until the next celebrity dies in similar circumstances?

Smile Smile
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Slowneenuh- If you think clinical depression isn't a life threatening illness, you are sadly mistaken. There are demonstrable chemical differences in the brains of the severely depressed. It's simply wrong to dismissively assert that people who are suffering from depression have "the luxury of choice."

One of the reasons that people don't seek help for depression is because of the stigma still attached to mental illness.

Your post simply reinforces that stigma.
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 5,278+ posts, only credited with
133 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
Possibly you may want to re-read my post. It is sad, but the real anguish to be delivered is not Robin Williams' suicide, but mental health in total or life threatening disease forced on the innocents. I have performed much magic in a mental health unit of a hospital behind locked doors with the poor souls and witnessed their anguish and the despair of their loved ones. Routinely I performed at a Veterans Home where almost half the population had to be kept behind locked doors and saw a shell of what they had been or achieved in real life knowing full well the sacrifices they made for our country. I participate or sponsor events by A Wish Come True for terminally ill children, Special Olympics, and perform magic at the cancer Relay For Life.

I know mental and physical suffering and I weep inside when I see the innocents suffer. But I am sick and tired of hearing about the poor celebrities who pass away and many times of their own choosing. Yes they had a choice just as you and I had choices. Nobody forced them to go down certain paths, or to start the use of drugs or alcohol to excess, or to seek fame knowing that someday it would fade away.

Yes, it is sad but my real tears will be shed for others.
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1226 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
I had the opportunity to meet with him when I was in Afghanistan. When he came to visit, he heard about the "Soldier" who performed magic in the hospital during his down time and asked to meet him. During his visit, I had the very fortunate opportunity to spend an entire day with him. We had lunch and dinner together, and he sat in the audience as I performed a show for the hospital wing that took care of the wounded Afghan children. Afterwards he just sat there and cried, and went to the hospital beds and kissed each child on the head. There was no media or cameras, just a true genuine moment. He has always been a favorite of mine. We weren't huge fans of his new show, but our t.v.'s were always tuned in to help with the ratings. He is truly a legend and will be missed.

Click here to view attached image.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Slowkeenuh- Your lack of compassion or any understanding of depression or addiction is amazing. It's NOT A CHOICE. And it's sad that you feel the need to diminish Mr. Williams on a memorial thread.
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 5,278+ posts, only credited with
133 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
Alright I give up! It's certainly not my lack of compassion or an intent to diminish Mr. Williams at all or on this thread in particular. It must be my communication skills. (However, I do believe it is a choice made when you decide to try it, continue to do it knowing the risks, and ultimately becoming addicted where choices may no longer be an option).
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Aug 13, 2014, slowkneenuh wrote:
Possibly you may want to re-read my post. It is sad, but the real anguish to be delivered is not Robin Williams' suicide, but mental health in total or life threatening disease forced on the innocents. I have performed much magic in a mental health unit of a hospital behind locked doors with the poor souls and witnessed their anguish and the despair of their loved ones. Routinely I performed at a Veterans Home where almost half the population had to be kept behind locked doors and saw a shell of what they had been or achieved in real life knowing full well the sacrifices they made for our country. I participate or sponsor events by A Wish Come True for terminally ill children, Special Olympics, and perform magic at the cancer Relay For Life.

I know mental and physical suffering and I weep inside when I see the innocents suffer. But I am sick and tired of hearing about the poor celebrities who pass away and many times of their own choosing. Yes they had a choice just as you and I had choices. Nobody forced them to go down certain paths, or to start the use of drugs or alcohol to excess, or to seek fame knowing that someday it would fade away.

Yes, it is sad but my real tears will be shed for others.

Your post suggests that you believe that depression is a result of addiction, when in fact, to an extent, it's often if anything the other way around - many people with undiagnosed (clinical) depression turn to alcohol or drugs in an effort to self-medicate.

It's not the "fading away" of fame, or excessive drug or alcohol use; it's brain chemistry.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On Aug 13, 2014, w_s_anderson wrote:
I had the opportunity to meet with him when I was in Afghanistan. When he came to visit, he heard about the "Soldier" who performed magic in the hospital during his down time and asked to meet him. During his visit, I had the very fortunate opportunity to spend an entire day with him. We had lunch and dinner together, and he sat in the audience as I performed a show for the hospital wing that took care of the wounded Afghan children. Afterwards he just sat there and cried, and went to the hospital beds and kissed each child on the head. There was no media or cameras, just a true genuine moment. He has always been a favorite of mine. We weren't huge fans of his new show, but our t.v.'s were always tuned in to help with the ratings. He is truly a legend and will be missed.

Thank you for the story.

Regarding depression and suicide being a "choice": no comment.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

And just when I thought that Rush Limbaugh couldn't possibly get any lower, he has to say this about Robin Williams:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/12......626.html
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
The most deadliest and serious wounds can't be seen and are not physical. It's the mental wounds that are the most under-estimated and worst of all.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Koko mourns the loss of his friend, Robin Williams...

(article contains video clip)
http://www.today.com/pets/robin-williams......80056867

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Thanks for the story w_s_ (William if I remember correctly?) Hugely enlightening as to Williams's character.

Words from his family:
http://uproxx.com/tv/2014/08/robin-willi......passing/
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Aug 13, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
And just when I thought that Rush Limbaugh couldn't possibly get any lower, he has to say this about Robin Williams:

I don't believe that for one moment.
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1226 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson

Thanks Stone and Landmark, I will never forget that day, it was truly one of the highlights of my life. When he showed up he went to the base PA system and went into a "GOOOOOOOOOOOD MORNING Baghram Afghanistan" bit. We had no clue he was there and were just sitting around our tent remarking about how "Good" this guy was and that how closely he sounded like Robin. Now imagine our surprise when not more than 10 minutes later the flaps to our tent fly open and in walks Mr. Williams marching back and forth in our tent pretending to be our Sergeant Major talking smack and knocking our thing over. It was hilarious and an honor to get a private performance from one of the greatest entertainers who ever lived.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Wow. I really have a hard time reading some of this crap.

All I am going to say is depression is like any other disease. No stigma attached. Somehow it has one. The disease itself stops one from seeking treatment. It also tends to draw people to self destructive behavior and to self medicate.

It is not just "feeling bad" or gloomy because of a single event. If you have not had it or known someone who has it is almost impossible to understand. Do more research. Ignorant posts do not help further the cause of prevention.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Quote:
On Aug 13, 2014, w_s_anderson wrote:

Thanks Stone and Landmark, I will never forget that day, it was truly one of the highlights of my life. When he showed up he went to the base PA system and went into a "GOOOOOOOOOOOD MORNING Baghram Afghanistan" bit. We had no clue he was there and were just sitting around our tent remarking about how "Good" this guy was and that how closely he sounded like Robin. Now imagine our surprise when not more than 10 minutes later the flaps to our tent fly open and in walks Mr. Williams marching back and forth in our tent pretending to be our Sergeant Major talking smack and knocking our thing over. It was hilarious and an honor to get a private performance from one of the greatest entertainers who ever lived.

That's an awesome picture Anderson. He looks like he fits right in with the troops. It must have been really cool and awesome to meet Robin Williams. What did he say to you before and after the photo op if you don't mind me asking?
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On Aug 13, 2014, rockwall wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 13, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:

I don't believe that for one moment.

Then listen to Limbaugh saying it himself-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNQFa9AM5MI

You'll find that the article I cited is completely accurate, regarding both what Limbaugh and Fox news stated.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Passing Of Robin Williams (28 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL