The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Exposure Yes, But Still a Nice Prop (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Skyker
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Skyker
Nice, but I will stick with my Tenyo version since I don't have the tools and time to make one like this ;-)
ChasVH
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of ChasVH
I agree... I would actually buy one like that made out of nice wood of it were nicely done etc. agree he shows you the trick but it's a simple trick at that.... I would love to buy one like that if anyone is selling one built like that. Maybe Tenyo Elite? I think they are going for more sophisticated though these days it seems which is fine by me.

Charlie
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
He's a jerk for explaining the method.
tdowell
View Profile
Inner circle
1050 Posts

Profile of tdowell
That's like shunning someone for exposing the color cube trick. Plastic versions of this effect can be bought online for a few dollars and frankly wouldn't fool a squirrel.
aechecop
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of aechecop
He could have used better construction techniques... like using a router for the sliding part instead of cutting all the way and gluing the piece back... Besides that, much better than average for sure... Exposure is another issue that I will not discuss.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Quote:
On Oct 1, 2014, tdowell wrote:
Plastic versions of this effect can be bought online for a few dollars and frankly wouldn't fool a squirrel.

I am officially dumber than a squirrel, cause this had me stumped. Clever apparatus. Looks like a nice project to work on if you have the tools.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
The gent in the video does not know how to use white glue properly.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Quote:
On Sep 9, 2014, Richard Kaufman wrote:
He's a jerk for explaining the method.

RIGHT ON my brother. What good is a "Code Of Ethics" if people ignore it? Magic is not a puzzle that's meant to be shared with the quasi-curious, it's an art-form that people should learn a bit and piece at a time - or they look upon it as a cheap trick.

What do amateurs get by of exposing magic tricks?
They can show people how great their woodworking skills are - but in this case he needs three screws to hold the case together and he's obviously a terrible woodworker
The glue thing is funny too - showing again, he's posted this vid in a false belief that he's helping other people make this trick - as good as he can make it... and he didn't make it too good.

Everyone who's ever learned to be a good magician had to work for it. Conversly, people who are handed many secrets usually become bored because there is no challenge.
It's like dating. If you get a girl that's "open" to suggestion on the first date you'll probably loose interest faster then having one who makes you work for it.
friend2cptsolo
View Profile
Elite user
Spent all this time on the Cafe' and all I have to show for it is
445 Posts

Profile of friend2cptsolo
I have often thought about fine wood worked magic props and tricks but not sure how to market them or if people would be interest. Just from the thread I see there is an interest.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Friend2cptsolor, welcome to The Café!

You are correct, there are quite a few magician/collectors out there who cherish fine wooden props. And, a lot of them also frequent this part of the Café.

I've always been attracted to the work of Alan Warner, Mel Babcock, Francois Danis, Magic Wagon, Thomas Pohl, Colin Rose, Dave Powell, and Michael Baker to name a few. You can find many of them on Andy Martin's excellent site, http://www.thebestmagic.com
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
MJE
View Profile
Elite user
After all these years,I STILL have only
409 Posts

Profile of MJE
Quote:
On Oct 1, 2014, tdowell wrote:
Plastic versions of this effect can be bought online for a few dollars and frankly wouldn't fool a squirrel.

I dunno.....the squirrels in my neighborhood are pretty stupid.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Exposure Yes, But Still a Nice Prop (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL