The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Well that was short-lived (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1631 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
I'm no longer working at the restaurant. Mismanagement by one person has cost many people their jobs. They are in a bad place right now and may not remain open.

Feeling pretty sad right now. I can go get another magic gig. Hopefully. But these people may lose their livelihoods for a time.

It was such a great place to work.

Time to go find another one.

Thanks for your support.

Theodore-
Magic is the bacon in the breakfast of life.

God bless you and have a magical day
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20185 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Wasn't this the place that was extending your hours and you were increasing business?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1631 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
Yes, it was. But mismanagement in other areas caused them to get into a hole that they might not get out of.
Magic is the bacon in the breakfast of life.

God bless you and have a magical day
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20185 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Always amazing how people who don't run restaurant seem to think they can do it better.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
4890 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Was it really increasing your business? If so, would it be worth working for free for a bit to help them attract business and help you keep getting your name out? Or maybe the bad management burnt a bridge with you (I know that happens too) but if it is not the case, I have stayed on for free, even worked on a slower night to help increase business. Got my card out and booked enough parties and other gigs (not to mention REAL PRACTICE with actual spectators) Barring trouble with management, you could still go back to them and make this a win win for you both. Just Iron out that they can make it up to you when they get back on their feet (but even if they don't you are getting valuable experience and exposure) Just something to think about.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I was let go from a place today to. A college bar that I don't do during the summer. My friend who helped get me in the door had left, and I called 2 weeks ago to make sure they still wanted me in September when the college kids come back. I had no reason to think they didn't....when I had my last night there in May the owner and his wife were there and saw the huge crowd I had at the bar and how much fun they were all having and every table kept throwing $20 bills at me. It really was one of my greatest nights at any venue. It took 4 phone calls and almost 2 weeks to get an answer....my services are no longer needed.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
4890 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Wow Pepks, that stinks. I'm sure you will find something else but it is tough to leave a place you (A) do well at financially (b) like to work at and was probably fun for you too.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1168 Posts

Profile of Montana76
That sucks for both of you. Hope things works out.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Its getting tough here in Spain too, the economy is down and so is tourism. Which leads to everyone cutting costs where they can and usually the first to go are entertainers.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
kumpletoo
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of kumpletoo
I thought I'd chime in here. I'm in the same boat as you guys... July and August months are slow for local restaurants. People, who normally would go to these local restaurants, are taking their last minute vacations before schools start back up again...

My last day performing magic at Mellow Mushrooms Pizza was last Friday. This was after a run of three months, performing every Friday. The general manager (GM) decided to do without the entertainment due to the low sales number for July and August. But the GM did tell me that he'll bring me back in September. I hope he stays true to his words and does...

In the meantime, I still have my other gig at an Italian restaurant... The business has been slow there too. To help out the owner, I offered to perform pro bono... He was really appreciative and wants me to stay on board despite the slow business. He's been compensating me with high-priced food items from the menu.

Hang in there... I'm sure you'll find a new gig soon. You just have to keep at it and something will come up.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20185 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well here is a dark cloud for you.

Often the very sad reality is that some restaurants end up in a position of desperation and as a last gasp hire a magician. Then they end up closing needless to say. Now this has absolutely NOTHING to do with the magician.

Also it is pretty easy to sit back and Monday morning quarterback the whole "they ran it wrong"scenario but running a restaurant is a complex endeavor and probably not as easy as you think to run from the outside. You do not know all going on so don't judge. It will lead you to a very bitter life of always being the guy who could do better if only you had the chance. You don't want to be that guy.

I know a performer who had 4 places in a row close on him. The 5th he was at for 24 years. I hope you find your spot sooner than 4. Good luck.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Aug 15, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
Well here is a dark cloud for you.

Often the very sad reality is that some restaurants end up in a position of desperation and as a last gasp hire a magician. Then they end up closing needless to say. Now this has absolutely NOTHING to do with the magician.

Yup! I've been down that road. I know at least one place that I worked, the manager had hired me as an eleventh hour attempt to save his own job. It didn't work for him, and as soon as the new manager walked through the door, my stint was history, in spite of the fact that I had developed a following. The restaurant continued on, but eventually closed due to unrelated circumstances.

Restaurants are among the businesses with the highest mortality rate, regarding both the employee turn-over and the restaurants themselves. I think if someone compiled a list of the places in any average city just within the framework of their own recollection, I think they'd be amazed at how many places have come and gone.

Now, considering that very, very, very few restaurants actually have a magician, the odds of that job lasting are not great by most standards.

It's the nature of the beast, and after 20+ years in the trenches, all I can say is, "Welcome to the jungle."

It's a numbers game, and those who persevere stand a better chance to survive. It'll test the thickness of your skin.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3179 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
What Dannydoyle described has happened to me twice over the past many years. I was hired and then the person who hired me was let go and soon after the restaurant closed.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
To all those who have lost their jobs, my condolences.

I know you miss the paycheck and the work itself.

At least you know how to land a gig.

See if you can get a reference from some of the highest ranked and Magic friendly staff, either on Yelp (without the name of the defunct restaurant, I.E., Ted really improved our #s and fun factor. John Smith, Gen. Mgr. Tucson Family Restaurant.), your website or as a phone reference.

Good Luck.

-Mary Mowder
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
That's a real good idea, Mary! Turn every experience into an opportunity!

Worst scenario I ever faced was while working as a house magician (5 nights a week) at the hottest spot in town (this was around 1992-93). This place eclipsed every other place in town, and the money we were all making was almost obscene. The problem was, the 2 owners were not paying the bills, but rather trying to out steal each other.

One day, I went to work to find the place being gutted. Furniture and equipment were being loaded on a truck. The power company did not shut off the power, they literally disconnected the wires to the building. Rumors were flying and I'm not sure any of us knew the full story. Anyway, I managed to rescue all my framed magic posters (some valuable originals) that graced the walls before the doors were chained shut.

So, in the blink of an eye, I went from making 50k a year to zero. Ironically, this was after the busiest night the place ever had. Sadly, lots of other people, my friends, lost their jobs, too.

I resolved at that moment to never again put all my eggs into one basket.

Just sayin'... it can be worse. But, I'm still here, alive and kicking, so it's not the worst!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5861 Posts

Profile of motown
When I first moved to Atlanta, there were 5 restaurants in a row down the street from where I live. All five have since closed. That includes a Fridays, Hustons and Famous Dave's. Of the five buildings, only one new restaurant has opened up. It shows how tough that business is in a slow economy.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
It's a tough business in a good economy. Even when people are eating out a lot, they still choose where they go. Lots of little things that can make them go somewhere else.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5861 Posts

Profile of motown
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
plink
View Profile
Special user
661 Posts

Profile of plink
Have worked at a number of restaurants and learned to expect illogical outcomes. If things at the restaurant are going south cutting the magician seems 'logical' to many in charge. On the other hand, I've been hired to build business, when in reality I wouldn't want to go there myself. What to do? Your best! Enjoy your time there, make the people happy they came, don't worry about the 'logic' you can't control.
Rolyan
View Profile
Special user
I'm fencing in my land; so far there are
579 Posts

Profile of Rolyan
Restaurants are a strange world. A young man I know worked in a restaurant near me as a waiter. All tips had to be put in a jar and were shared out at the end of the evening, amongst the waiters and management. One night the owners son took the tip money and spent it. The young man asked for his tip money the next day. So they sacked him.

At least we can pick and choose who we work for and for how long.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Well that was short-lived (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL