The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » 25 Cent download, Tricks and Traps (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3360 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn

In my private collection of books and pamphlets from around 1900 I have this interesting little pamphlet which has survived here into the 21st Century.

It is Clifton R. Woolridge's Tricks and Traps.

It contains "over 100 varieties of confidence games, fakir's snares and swindles worked on the unwary" from the notebooks of "America's Sherlock Holmes."

The stories are fascinating, and I learned a lot of valuable information from this book which has been very helpful along the way.

It is out of copyright, so naturally I decided to scan it and sell it to my friends and fellow travelers...

This little stapled pamphlet went for only two bits when I bought it.

I can't see charging more for just a digital copy. I hope you enjoy it!

~ Pop

http://www.popsmagic.com/store/p34/Tricks_and_Traps.html
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3360 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
The name Clifton Wooldridge means little to people today, but to Chicagoans and Chicago criminals, he was notorious.

Wooldridge, a former police officer was described at the time as "the incorruptible Sherlock Holmes of America," and he was on a mission to save Chicago from itself.

He considered Chicago the "wickedest city in the world." It certainly had the right ingredients. Chicago was seen as the land of opportunity, or at least the gateway to it. People passed through on their way to homesteading further west, the railroad brought folks to the city, in the hopes they would find one of the many possible jobs in this burgeoning city. It became a hotbed for vice and corruption.

As a police officer on the beat, Wooldridge saw what was happening. He battled everything: quack doctors, prostitution, gambling, investment swindles, insurance scams, fake banks, clairvoyants and marriage agencies. He associated with the down and out and the richest of the rich. Apparently he would stop at little to learn the ways of the criminal. Wooldridge was adept at disguising himself, and would dress for the part, whether it meant posing as a rube in from the country or even donning black face.

In 1906, after 20 years on the police force, he proudly proclaimed a record of 19,500 arrests, with 3,200 criminals locked up, 6,000 people paid fines, 100 girls rescued from prostitution, $100,000 worth of property recovered, and 100 marriage bureaus closed.

His wrote numerous books detailing crimes he'd witnessed in the sincere hope of preventing further victims. Titles included: Hands Up! In the World of Crime," and "The Devil and The Grafter and How They Work Together to Deceive, Swindle and Destroy Mankind."

Wooldridge was a man on a mission, intent on stopping further people from falling prey to thieves. He wrote a list of tips called "Detective Clifton R. Wooldridge's 'Never-Fail' System for Detecting and Outwitting All Classes of Grafters and Swindlers."

~ http://www.pbs.org/.../history.../feature/chicago-detective/
walking_liberty
View Profile
Elite user
459 Posts

Profile of walking_liberty
Just downloaded my copy, this looks great. Thanks, Pop!
LeoH
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of LeoH
Thanks for the history lesson! Many of these scams are still in the toolbox of today's criminal.
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1176 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
Got it! Thanks Pop!
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Can't order it, when I try it says order must be 50cents minimum. But there is nowhere to enter an amount, maybe its because I am in Spain :-(
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3360 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Are you using PayPal or the direct Credit Card purchase?
If you send me you email, I will send the file to you.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
I was using the credit card, didn't see a PayPal option.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Thanks Pop for sorting it all out for me, you are a gentleman.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3360 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
It is a problem with our card service. Paypal accepts payments of $.25, but our direct card service provider has a minimum of $.50. We have had to raise the price to $.50 in order for everything to work properly. It is still a bargain.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
It most certainly is.
darksage
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of darksage
So many things to read; so little time! I just added another one...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » 25 Cent download, Tricks and Traps (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL