The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Best Mentalism effect you've ever seen? (60 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Galileo
View Profile
Elite user
Somerville MA
431 Posts

Profile of Galileo
Whether it be the one that seemed the fairest, had the best presentation, or was what introduced you to mentalism what is the most mind boggling mentalism trick you've ever seen? My personal all time favorite still has to be the lottery ticket illusion by Nate Staniforth.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
The buttons by DB has been a favorite of mine for a long time. Even after learning the secret, I admire him for the presentation and making it so believable. It fooled me SO bad when I first saw it.
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1533 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Real Telepathy, by Patrick Froment.

I drew a bottle on a piece of paper, over the phone. He then was able to divine what I drew, without any questions.

It's the purest effect I know.
Hands-off ACAAN - freely chosen card and number : http://doriancaudal.wix.com/miracaan
Richtofen
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of Richtofen
Mystery chocolate box by Paul Shirley.
The best mentalism routine I've ever seen.
involve the whole audience, funny, entertaining and so strong!
I heard Derren Brown tried to buy it but Paul said no.
NeilMcCauley
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of NeilMcCauley
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2014, Richtofen wrote:

I can't seem to find any references to it on Google. Do you know where I might be able to see it performed?
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10091 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2014, NeilMcCauley wrote:
Quote:

I can't seem to find any references to it on Google. Do you know where I might be able to see it performed?

..and you shouldn't if Paul doesn't want it released.
Galileo
View Profile
Elite user
Somerville MA
431 Posts

Profile of Galileo
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2014, Mindpro wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2014, NeilMcCauley wrote:
Quote:

To be fair there are many performances out there that magicians don't want to reveal but still post a video of them performing the trick for audiences can't imagine why he wouldn't post one unless the method was that obvious to other magicians after watching it, which I can't imagine is true if Darren brown wanted to buy it.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Stop it Richtofen! Smile
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
One of my all time favorites for "Entertainment" value was on the Eric Samuels, 'Acts of Astonishment' stage show demo. Participant thought of a song, then Eric went to the drums and played the main part of the song! Smile
Don't care how he done it, but I really enjoyed the performance ! (Of course, there was other instruments on stage to chose from !)

Have not had the pleasure of seeing Paul's effect...But, I do like Paul !
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
NeilMcCauley
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of NeilMcCauley
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2014, Mindpro wrote:

Interesting non-sequitur. I agree, by the way. I simply asked if there was a performance of it, not whether it should or shouldn't be shown against the inventor's wishes.
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2366 Posts

Profile of C.J.
Maybe it's the long island iced tea I've been drinking, but this thread is hilarious. Also, Paul Shirley is an underrated genius and a truly nice guy. Although it does disturb me to hear how much people enjoy his chocolate box.
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
Richtofen
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of Richtofen
I don't know if there is any video, I saw his stage show " blu tongue here come the song dingo" twice.
After his show when he comes and talk to the audience he has also one of the best piece of close-up mentalism I've ever seen!
A multiple drawing duplication with 6 people with a crazy ending!
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1686 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
The first Mentalism effect I think I ever saw was maybe the one that had the strongest impact on me as a young magish: Scott Creasey (creator of the BIP book amongst other things) showed me Mental Yarn after a magic club session once and I had zero clue. Zero clue. I didn't want to know, I just thought it was the best. I remember what I picked, where we were stood in the room, everything, and that was maybe 11 years ago.

Not very ginormous or spectacular but it was the first time I'd had MY mind read. I loved it and it opened my eyes to the possibility of doing this stuff.

Phill
Now available to preorder, the incredible new DMC ELITES V5 deck, our biggest leap yet.
-+: https://store.dmcmagic.com/products/dmc-elites-v5 :+-
Myke Phillips
View Profile
Inner circle
Myke Phillips
1193 Posts

Profile of Myke Phillips
For me it has to be Reminiscence by Derren Brown. The whole routine is a master class in structure of effect and performance. The thought that has gone into that routine is unbelievable. All the subtle gestures and inflection in words were so well thought out. "The Pure Effect"

Myke
X
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8959 Posts

Profile of funsway
In Silence performed by Arnold Furst

second choice are all Pendulum demonstrations where the performer is not in direct contact with the Pendulum
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3361 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2014, Galileo wrote:
Whether it be the one that seemed the fairest, had the best presentation, or was what introduced you to mentalism what is the most mind boggling mentalism trick you've ever seen? My personal all time favorite still has to be the lottery ticket illusion by Nate Staniforth.

The best I've seen on video or television - Experiment With Books (Canasta)
Best I've witnessed as a spectator - Reminiscence (Brown)
Best I've experienced as a participant - Name Divination (Turner)
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1524 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
I saw a guy predict which poker chip someone would choose out of red, blue, yellow, or green. That was pretty impressive I think.
seamagu
View Profile
Special user
859 Posts

Profile of seamagu
Hey Martin, I agree on the Peter Turner name reveal. He hit me with that and I was totally blown away. That was the best effect I have ever experienced Smile.
I love post its Smile
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3729 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
For me best as a participant was Pete Turners ACAAN followed by his name reveal. Watching Pete perform for layman is a real joy too. Watched him do his PK touches for a couple on Friday night, followed by an uncannily accurate reading. Watching the spectators reactions was very entertaining and he actually got a booking out of it.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Harpacrown Too is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=harpacrown-too
Ophiuchus is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=ophiuchus
Totally Free Will is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=totally-free-will
bofx
View Profile
Elite user
France
497 Posts

Profile of bofx
Quote:
On Aug 18, 2014, Myke Phillips wrote:
For me it has to be Reminiscence by Derren Brown. The whole routine is a master class in structure of effect and performance. The thought that has gone into that routine is unbelievable. All the subtle gestures and inflection in words were so well thought out. "The Pure Effect"

Totally agree !
My mentalism books: Mental Sweets 1 - Mental Sweets 2
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Best Mentalism effect you've ever seen? (60 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL