We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Best Mentalism effect you've ever seen? (70 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5941 Posts

Profile of george1953
For me it has to be Larry Beckers some total and Bob Cassidys card calling on the Penguin lecture.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2615 Posts

Profile of NeilS
It was an effect Phil Goldstein performed at the Magic Circle. It involved the corners being torn from ESP cards and the assisting spectator picking the correct torn corner.

It seemed so utterly fair and it was also a joy to watch such a masterful presentation. Even to this day, I remember some of the patter and great lines used. (And if anyone knows where this particular effect of Phil's has been written up, I'd like to know. It's a real gem.)
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2531 Posts

Profile of brehaut
I still remember my reaction when I first saw Neil Staniforth's Lottery Illusion on his performance DVD and the impact it made on me so that would be my choice
Galileo
View Profile
Elite user
Somerville MA
431 Posts

Profile of Galileo
Thanks for all the great responses guys!
Galileo
View Profile
Elite user
Somerville MA
431 Posts

Profile of Galileo
Quote:
On Aug 18, 2014, Martin Pulman wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2014, Galileo wrote:
Whether it be the one that seemed the fairest, had the best presentation, or was what introduced you to mentalism what is the most mind boggling mentalism trick you've ever seen? My personal all time favorite still has to be the lottery ticket illusion by Nate Staniforth.

The best I've seen on video or television - Experiment With Books (Canasta)
Best I've witnessed as a spectator - Reminiscence (Brown)
Best I've experienced as a participant - Name Divination (Turner)

Just looked up the peter turner performance of his name reveal and wow that effect is killer I can't imagine how crazy that would feel if you were the spectator he chose to do it on.
Imind
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Imind
Quote:
On Aug 18, 2014, Myke Phillips wrote:
For me it has to be Reminiscence by Derren Brown. The whole routine is a master class in structure of effect and performance. The thought that has gone into that routine is unbelievable. All the subtle gestures and inflection in words were so well thought out. "The Pure Effect"

Myke
X

+1
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3403 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
On Aug 18, 2014, Galileo wrote:

Just looked up the peter turner performance of his name reveal and wow that effect is killer I can't imagine how crazy that would feel if you were the spectator he chose to do it on.

In all honesty-and I'm frightened of seeming ridiculous here- when Peter said my friends name it was as if the world stood still for ten seconds. My whole understanding of the universe was thrown into confusion. Mad as it sounds! But we forget the power that mentalism can have on a participant. I performed a similar clean effect for a friend the other week and I saw the same look of wonder and even fear in her eyes that I had felt. It was all the more gratifying for having previously undergone the experience myself.
E.E.
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of E.E.
For me the best mentalism effects I've seen (and my favorites to perform) are Mr. Cassidy's Name/Place Routine and 4th Dimensional Telepathy, because they just look like the real thing and it's very hard to figure out by lay people, and even magician and other mentalists.
I shall see you on the other side.
jamiesalinas
View Profile
Special user
Houston
724 Posts

Profile of jamiesalinas
Another vote for Nate Staniforth's Lottery Illusion. It was what inspired me to create my own version.

Jamie
Jamie Salinas
Galileo
View Profile
Elite user
Somerville MA
431 Posts

Profile of Galileo
I think what always impressed me about the lottery ticket illusion was not only how quickly he pulled it out of his wallet but also how freely it was displayed by the cameras and that he even had a spectator standing right next to him and let them look at it so closely.
Alexxander
View Profile
Elite user
Frankfurt, Germany
422 Posts

Profile of Alexxander
It's impossible to name just one, so here it goes:

James Brown - Cerebral Steal with a thought of word
Bob Cassidy - 4DT
Derren Brown - Medallion Effect in the Enigma show
Peter Turner - Isabella's Star
Luke Jermay - Touching on Hoy
sbays
View Profile
Inner circle
Burbank, CA
1053 Posts

Profile of sbays
I would have to agree. I have said it a million times. Bob Cassidy's 4DT is the perfect thing. His Name / Place a close second. There are many other incredible pieces of Mentalism out there, but if I could only do one, 4DT without thinking twice.

Now if everyone would just STOP using his patter verbatim ... Smile
"Opportunity may only knock once, but temptation leans on the doorbell."
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I know- I laugh ever time I hear someone saying my lines wrong. Smile
seamagu
View Profile
Special user
860 Posts

Profile of seamagu
Quote:
Quote:

In all honesty-and I'm frightened of seeming ridiculous here- when Peter said my friends name it was as if the world stood still for ten seconds. My whole understanding of the universe was thrown into confusion. Mad as it sounds! But we forget the power that mentalism can have on a participant. I performed a similar clean effect for a friend the other week and I saw the same look of wonder and even fear in her eyes that I had felt. It was all the more gratifying for having previously undergone the experience myself.

Yep, that's pretty much how I felt from that one. The whole way home and for a few weeks after that I kept thinking 'what the hell did he do to me' I even wondered had I been hypnotised, drugged or something even more crazy. Getting mentalismed like that does not happen too often but it is a great reminder of why we do what we do.

Sea
I love post its Smile
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2170 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2014, Galileo wrote:
what introduced you to mentalism?

I had my mind read...

As a teen, while frequenting my local shop, an unknown older gentleman read my mind. I don't remember the MO (CT, drawing dupe, etc.) I don't remember the reveal. He could have been famous, I don't remember.

I remember having my mind read......

And thus started my journey......some guy read my mind.

Bryn
*QUARANTINE SPECIAL!!!*
"The Safwan Papers" & "The LOGAR Scrolls Mentalism ebooks - Now just $20 each!

Just PayPal to:
bryn@darkmountainarts.com
(No PayPal account? Just shoot me your email and I'll send you an invoice that can be paid with any card.)

REVIEWS:
" The Safwan Papers":
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=253272&forum=15

"THE LOGAR SCROLLS":
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=464100&forum=303&70

Browse my Artwork!
https://www.darkmountainarts.com
Facebook & Instagram: #DarkMountainArts
chado158
View Profile
New user
Indianapolis, IN
80 Posts

Profile of chado158
The first time I saw Richard Osterlind's Magazine Test!
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
For me, I have to agree with mr cassidy's name/place routine, one of the strongest pieces of mentalism you can perform.

I do also have some love for OOTW. First time I saw that many moons ago, had me completely fooled. I now always do Paul Harris's version and it is astonishing the reactions you get.

Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17682 Posts

Profile of Slim King
At this point I think HARD COPY THOUGHT BROADCAST by Callahan is my favorite. Completely strong on many levels.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Quote:
Quote:

In all honesty-and I'm frightened of seeming ridiculous here- when Peter said my friends name it was as if the world stood still for ten seconds. My whole understanding of the universe was thrown into confusion. Mad as it sounds! But we forget the power that mentalism can have on a participant.

Same thing happened to me. It's a weird and wonderful feeling.
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2366 Posts

Profile of C.J.
Quote:
On Aug 18, 2014, sbays wrote:
Bob Cassidy's 4DT is the perfect thing. His Name / Place a close second.

Here's the fascinating thing about the subjectivity of art: In my perspective, I prefer the name/place. I like the directness, I like the speed and pacing, and from a technical perspective I find the method more appealing (because I like bold mentalism, and it was this sort of balls-in-hand method that first drew me to the wonder of "in their heads" effects. No jokes about what else was drawn from my balls-in-hand, please).

BUT... having said that, it's not about me. It's about the audience, and what THEY like.
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Best Mentalism effect you've ever seen? (70 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL