The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Best Mentalism effect you've ever seen? (60 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
bond19
View Profile
Inner circle
Blackpool, England
1313 Posts

Profile of bond19
1. Train Tracking
2. Touching on Hoy
3. Osterlinds watch routine
4. PT billitless name reveal
5. DB 'Zoo/Pearly gates' reveal with the 2 marketing men
Rolyan
View Profile
Special user
I'm fencing in my land; so far there are
586 Posts

Profile of Rolyan
Quote:
On Aug 19, 2014, C.J. wrote:
BUT... having said that, it's not about me. It's about the audience, and what THEY like.

Interesting.
Myke Phillips
View Profile
Inner circle
Myke Phillips
1193 Posts

Profile of Myke Phillips
I have to say that the only effect, that I have personally witnessed, that blew me away the most was 8th manoeuvre By Luke Jermay.
chado158
View Profile
New user
Indianapolis, IN
80 Posts

Profile of chado158
Where can I find this Peter Turner name reveal at?
thanks
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10100 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Use the search function? Search for Peter Turner, you'll be busy for days.
chado158
View Profile
New user
Indianapolis, IN
80 Posts

Profile of chado158
Yes I have done this. But does the "name reveal" have a name to it?
Imind
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Imind
Quote:
On Aug 19, 2014, chado158 wrote:
Where can I find this Peter Turner name reveal at?
thanks


Bigger fish 2
Galileo
View Profile
Elite user
Somerville MA
431 Posts

Profile of Galileo
Bigger fish 2 or his penguin live lecture
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3731 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
It's in Bigger Fish 2 and I think it may be on the free form mentalism DVD. It's not on his penguin lecture. Personally I wish Pete kept it to himself. The actual experience was about as close to real mind reading as you are ever going to get. The explanation removes that sense of awe and wonder. Sometimes it better to not know.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Harpacrown Too is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=harpacrown-too
Ophiuchus is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=ophiuchus
Totally Free Will is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=totally-free-will
Galileo
View Profile
Elite user
Somerville MA
431 Posts

Profile of Galileo
Quote:
On Aug 19, 2014, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
It's in Bigger Fish 2 and I think it may be on the free form mentalism DVD. It's not on his penguin lecture. Personally I wish Pete kept it to himself. The actual experience was about as close to real mind reading as you are ever going to get. The explanation removes that sense of awe and wonder. Sometimes it better to not know.

Mark

Yeah sorry my apologies I guess he only performs the effect on his lecture and doesn't actually explain how it works.
Demitri
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of Demitri
I limited my list to effects I've witnessed or experienced personally. There's simply too many effects, in general, to name! Some of the best mentalism effects I've ever seen, personally would be:

Rick Maue's Group Dynamic - The first time I saw this, I was absolutely floored. Simple and brilliant. Can't ask for more.

Alain Nu - ACAAN - Best version I have ever witnessed (and taken part in), hands down. You want direct? Someone named a number, I named a card - someone else came up, opened the deck, and dealt the cards. Alain stood off to the side of the performing area the entire time. I know ACAAN isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I enjoy the plot, and this was the best performance I've seen.

Colin McLeod - I don't know what the name of the routine is. It was the closer for his one-off New York show. I was quite thrilled to be the spectator for it. It was the single best PERFORMANCE I've ever been witness to. Funny, amazing, confounding - with a finale that literally blew the roof off of the building. Easily the best mentalism performance I've ever had the pleasure of seeing.
Galileo
View Profile
Elite user
Somerville MA
431 Posts

Profile of Galileo
Quote:
On Aug 19, 2014, Demitri wrote:
I limited my list to effects I've witnessed or experienced personally. There's simply too many effects, in general, to name! Some of the best mentalism effects I've ever seen, personally would be:

Rick Maue's Group Dynamic - The first time I saw this, I was absolutely floored. Simple and brilliant. Can't ask for more.

Alain Nu - ACAAN - Best version I have ever witnessed (and taken part in), hands down. You want direct? Someone named a number, I named a card - someone else came up, opened the deck, and dealt the cards. Alain stood off to the side of the performing area the entire time. I know ACAAN isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I enjoy the plot, and this was the best performance I've seen.

Colin McLeod - I don't know what the name of the routine is. It was the closer for his one-off New York show. I was quite thrilled to be the spectator for it. It was the single best PERFORMANCE I've ever been witness to. Funny, amazing, confounding - with a finale that literally blew the roof off of the building. Easily the best mentalism performance I've ever had the pleasure of seeing.


that ACAAN sounds like the holy grail practically.
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1524 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
My two are Chan Canastas book test with Mike Parkinson and Derren Browns version of Korans Medallion. Chan for having balls of steel and showing a master thinking on his feet, and Derren for showing how a simple effect can be turned into true theater with the right framing. Both beautiful mentalism for different reasons.
Mesaboogie
View Profile
Special user
804 Posts

Profile of Mesaboogie
Quote:
On Aug 18, 2014, Alexxander wrote:
It's impossible to name just one, so here it goes:

James Brown - Cerebral Steal with a thought of word
Bob Cassidy - 4DT
Derren Brown - Medallion Effect in the Enigma show
Peter Turner - Isabella's Star
Luke Jermay - Touching on Hoy


Another for Derren Brown's Medallion Effect, very moving, extremely baffling (to laymen) and pure theatre. Not been topped since.

Andrew
TheMindReader.co.uk

Everyday, in everyway, I am becoming better and better
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3363 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
I agree that the medallion effect on the recording of Enigma is brilliant. It is an object lesson in the importance of acting skills for a mentalist. Derren seems to mean every word and the shifts between humour and gravitas are extraordinary.

Anyone wanting to know why Derren is streets ahead of almost all of the competition need only watch that routine.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Old School: Kuda Bux. Everything he did seemed totally believable. Plus he had that cool name.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
brucewilcox
View Profile
Loyal user
Readers advised to disregard most of my
266 Posts

Profile of brucewilcox
Quote:
On Aug 19, 2014, C.J. wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 18, 2014, sbays wrote:
Bob Cassidy's 4DT is the perfect thing. His Name / Place a close second.


Here's the fascinating thing about the subjectivity of art: In my perspective, I prefer the name/place. I like the directness, I like the speed and pacing, and from a technical perspective I find the method more appealing (because I like bold mentalism, and it was this sort of balls-in-hand method that first drew me to the wonder of "in their heads" effects. No jokes about what else was drawn from my balls-in-hand, please).

BUT... having said that, it's not about me. It's about the audience, and what THEY like.


Amen on both points.
...in the Land of the Free, and the Home of the B'Wave.
Syndrome
View Profile
Regular user
CANADIAN IMP
165 Posts

Profile of Syndrome
It was about 25 years ago. I can still see it happening in my mind, and I became a different man because of it.

It was called, Synchronicity III. Sheer brilliance!
Live well,
Laugh often,
Love always.

"Illusion is the first of all pleasures." -Voltaire (1694-1778)
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1916 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Derren Brown's The Oracle Act in Evening of Wonders. Brilliantly performed.
AN4QVU, Mr. Chumley Takes a Peek, The Elvis Peek, Micro Billet Q&A, Instant Psychic Readings or Just for the Hull of It (Q&A 1-2-3 + Hull of a Peek) are sold separately and are available for $20 each. To order send Paypal for $20 to: mindreaderfxfx@gmail.com and specify which title you are ordering.

Videos are streaming only and cannot be downloaded.

Reviews can be found by doing a cafe search
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10100 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
As you can tell by the posts to the question posed, the question should have been "what/who was the best mentalism performance you've ever seen?"

My point is it is really not about the effect as much as the performer and the presentation. To me this is one of the greatest misconceptions in our art. We are not truly impressed or impacted by the trick or effect, but in reality the presentation and execution of the performance by the talent/personality.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Best Mentalism effect you've ever seen? (60 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL