The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Best Mentalism effect you've ever seen? (60 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
Also while I think of it, derren's 10p routine was one of my favourite routines ever to perform. While I could, of course!

Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
Galileo
View Profile
Elite user
Somerville MA
431 Posts

Profile of Galileo
Quote:
On Aug 23, 2014, Mindpro wrote:
As you can tell by the posts to the question posed, the question should have been "what/who was the best mentalism performance you've ever seen?"

My point is it is really not about the effect as much as the performer and the presentation. To me this is one of the greatest misconceptions in our art. We are not truly impressed or impacted by the trick or effect, but in reality the presentation and execution of the performance by the talent/personality.

I completely second that there is a reason Derren Brown, Peter Turner, and Bob Cassidy keep coming up
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3361 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
On Aug 23, 2014, Mindpro wrote:
As you can tell by the posts to the question posed, the question should have been "what/who was the best mentalism performance you've ever seen?"

My point is it is really not about the effect as much as the performer and the presentation. To me this is one of the greatest misconceptions in our art. We are not truly impressed or impacted by the trick or effect, but in reality the presentation and execution of the performance by the talent/personality.

I think that's true up to a point, but the impact of store bought effects on AGT performed by, on the whole, mediocre talents suggests that a brilliantly designed effect can have a huge impact, despite any limitations of the person performing it.

What I think is interesting is how many of the effects chosen as favourites here were created by the person performing them. It would seem the singer and his own song is stronger than the singer doing a cover version. It's just a shame so much of mentalism is cover versions.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10091 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Yeah, I agree. But then those will chime in with the same old "well there's only so many premises in metalism". To that I say yeah, but look how many great songs have been written using the same three chords!
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
How about comedy? After all, there are only seven basic joke forms.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3361 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Or the seven basic plots in narrative literature. We're 2,000 years away from Gilgamesh yet still we're thrilled by new films, plays and novels. I wonder which mentalism effects will be released in 4014? And will we know the solution to the Berglas Effect by then Smile
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2366 Posts

Profile of C.J.
Quote:
On Aug 23, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
How about comedy? After all, there are only seven basic joke forms.

Long Island Iced Tea = perfect mix of five basic spirits... Smile
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Actually, there is really only one joke that matters:

Gourmet
View Profile
Loyal user
247 Posts

Profile of Gourmet
I think a layperson would be best to answer the initial question.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

The problem, though, with having a layperson answer, would be that the average layperson has probably only seen one or two mentalists in his/her entire life.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18818 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I've asked to be banned
Galileo
View Profile
Elite user
Somerville MA
431 Posts

Profile of Galileo
Gotta love Monty python
Gourmet
View Profile
Loyal user
247 Posts

Profile of Gourmet
Quote:
On Aug 24, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
The problem, though, with having a layperson answer, would be that the average layperson has probably only seen one or two mentalists in his/her entire life.

Agreed.
Maybe a lay mentalism enthusiast could answer. But maybe this person would be drawn to his or her preferred performer regardless how strong other performers are.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

I've got to say that I never met a "lay mentalism enthusiast!" But I agree that laymen would just generally pick the only one they probably ever saw in person.
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1582 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
Most laypeople will opt for "the guy" they've seen do some Mind Reading on TV. A by product of this for some will be to actually go & see this guy live if he comes to their town.
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1736 Posts

Profile of jakeg
When I was working out a blindfold routine, I thought that I knew all, or at least most of the published methods. Then, Kuda Bux had me put his blindfold on him. What he did with the blindfold on, completely blew me away. It was as if he had vision from every angle. I don't know if time has distorted my memory, and I am now envisioning it from a layman's perspective, but it was totally amazing.
Galileo
View Profile
Elite user
Somerville MA
431 Posts

Profile of Galileo
Yeah some people out there have devolved some pretty ingenuis blindfold methods that blow me away too sometimes.
Martin Joseph
View Profile
New user
UK
70 Posts

Profile of Martin Joseph
As a teenager in the late nineties, the magic society I was a member of had Andy Nyman perform at our annual dinner. He opened with the Tossed Out Deck and completely blew me away. His whole act was fantastic but that initial experience of the TOD and the wonder I felt really stayed with me.
dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2196 Posts

Profile of dmoses
All three happened at Mindvention but different years:

Jeremy Weiss's legendary ACAAN
Looch's inexplicable (and unpublished) Influence routine
and Marco Fida's mythic Contact Mind Reading
"You're a comedian. You wanna do mankind a service, tell funnier jokes."
TPR by Dave Moses and Iain Dunford
Galileo
View Profile
Elite user
Somerville MA
431 Posts

Profile of Galileo
Quote:
On Aug 25, 2014, dmoses wrote:
All three happened at Mindvention but different years:

Jeremy Weiss's legendary ACAAN
Looch's inexplicable (and unpublished) Influence routine
and Marco Fida's mythic Contact Mind Reading

Yeah I remember seeing some of the promo videos for influence after it first came out and it blew me away too.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Best Mentalism effect you've ever seen? (60 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.43 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL