The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Best Mentalism effect you've ever seen? (60 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1025 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
Quote:
On Feb 28, 2020, Christopher Taylor wrote:
For me it was this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-VYn6gUBFE&feature=youtu.be

CT

Nice, that's a great idea of how to present it for television.
Belief Manifests Reality.
Satanic Playing Cards Live on Kickstarter Now...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/satanicplayingcards/the-satanic-playing-cards
kleqy
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of kleqy
Quote:
On Feb 29, 2020, David Thiel wrote:
I have to say that it was one of two experiences. The first could have been presented as a mentalism effect but wasn't. It was around the early 1980's and I didn't even think about magic or mentalism in those days. They didn't mean anything more to me than origami or (shudder) juggling.

I was at a street performer festival and this ragged man in a cheesy costume did the Invisi*le Deck. He did it badly -- but I remember standing in the audience with my mouth open. HOW DID HE DO THAT??? I went back every day to watch him. (I wasn't stalking him...I was INVESTIGATING...ok?) I watched my pet theories get shot down one at a time. He didn't have 52 decks of cards. The volunteers weren't plants...etc. I was utterly baffled.

In the olden days there was no internet. So I wound up at a magic shop -- a middle aged man who ran a special events company -- asking the owner to sell me that trick. He refused because he said I wasn't worthy of that effect. He was right. And THAT encounter led to a relationship as close as possible to a magic mentor. I still perform the ID today. You could say that seeing that effect changed my life because it did.

The other effect left me quite literally gobsmacked. Richard Osterlind had invited me to attend his workshop in Vegas after one MindVention. So I went and he chose me as the volunteer for a CMR demonstration. First I hid an object. In a pocket. In a guy's jacket. In the middle of the room. Since I was the volunteer I KNOW I wasn't helping him and I wasn't a plant. But he took my hand in his and went RIGHT to that guy. That pocket. That object.

I was obsessed with that effect for months. I nagged Richard into doing a book about it. I worked on it for a long time and finally put it into my show.

But I still fondly remember the utter wonder the first time I saw it.

David

Where can I find this please?
User101
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of User101
Quote:
On Jan 20, 2021, kleqy wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 29, 2020, David Thiel wrote:
I have to say that it was one of two experiences. The first could have been presented as a mentalism effect but wasn't. It was around the early 1980's and I didn't even think about magic or mentalism in those days. They didn't mean anything more to me than origami or (shudder) juggling.

I was at a street performer festival and this ragged man in a cheesy costume did the Invisi*le Deck. He did it badly -- but I remember standing in the audience with my mouth open. HOW DID HE DO THAT??? I went back every day to watch him. (I wasn't stalking him...I was INVESTIGATING...ok?) I watched my pet theories get shot down one at a time. He didn't have 52 decks of cards. The volunteers weren't plants...etc. I was utterly baffled.

In the olden days there was no internet. So I wound up at a magic shop -- a middle aged man who ran a special events company -- asking the owner to sell me that trick. He refused because he said I wasn't worthy of that effect. He was right. And THAT encounter led to a relationship as close as possible to a magic mentor. I still perform the ID today. You could say that seeing that effect changed my life because it did.

The other effect left me quite literally gobsmacked. Richard Osterlind had invited me to attend his workshop in Vegas after one MindVention. So I went and he chose me as the volunteer for a CMR demonstration. First I hid an object. In a pocket. In a guy's jacket. In the middle of the room. Since I was the volunteer I KNOW I wasn't helping him and I wasn't a plant. But he took my hand in his and went RIGHT to that guy. That pocket. That object.

I was obsessed with that effect for months. I nagged Richard into doing a book about it. I worked on it for a long time and finally put it into my show.

But I still fondly remember the utter wonder the first time I saw it.

David

Where can I find this please?

THis? https://osterlindmysteries.com/store/ind......ts_id=95
weirdwizardx
View Profile
Veteran user
390 Posts

Profile of weirdwizardx
I don't think that this qualifies as "mentalism", but more as "comedy mentalism"?

Anyway, the first Fool Us act from Jandro is one of the greatest predictions I have ever seen.
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
2106 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
The Revelation by Dean Dill absolutely fantastic never fails to get a huge reaction absolutely fantastic.

Good magic to all,

Eric
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8959 Posts

Profile of funsway
Just asking, not challenging ...

is "huge reaction" the measure of "best mentalism effect?" (or any performance?)

Is the immediate response of any kind the best measure? But, for an entertainer, what else?
I was once told the only person that had to be impressed was the booking agent.

Me, I like the response I got 40 years after the performance.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
Kassim
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Kassim
Berglas effect lol Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Best Mentalism effect you've ever seen? (60 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL