We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Spooky challenge (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
magus
View Profile
Special user
Huntington Beach, Ca
668 Posts

Profile of magus
A few teeth are held in a spectators hands.
Suddenly they drop them, they've been bitten.
One "Silver" tooth, or tooth with a large filling.
(Hypno heat)
crappy deium-

what a lousy day to be seized

thaumometer-

a device for measuring a magical field
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3812 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Speaking about mourning items, here's a nice collection of those

http://www.pinterest.com/cpfrey1949/mourning-accessories/
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Aug 19, 2014, The Curator wrote:

Those are great. I was drawn to the collection of mourning pins. I discovered a very small town in south Alabama when I performed at a home party there. The town is somewhat secluded and keeps a fairly low profile. I was stunned to see the main road lined with gorgeous Antebellum homes. I learned that during Sherman's march to the sea, the town's doctor met the approaching union army with information about a cholera breakout in the town. Apparently, the army detoured to avoid the town, thus leaving all this beautiful architecture intact.

Whether or not this is true, I don't know. But the story intrigued me and became the basis for my development of an Antebellum version of The Great Leon's Miniature Haunted House.

The mourning pin collection made me think they could be all from residents of that town... people who had earlier cheated death. A similar story could develop from the town's cemetery, and how each person ultimately met their end, perhaps with subtle but unusually ironic twists.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Joshua J
View Profile
Special user
665 Posts

Profile of Joshua J
Quote:
On Aug 18, 2014, IAIN wrote:
Pandora's box equals orville meyer's cigar box, no?

People post their fears into the box...

Change the method and you have a q&a too...

You would. I was thinking the kiddy nothing box trick. The metal variety that look like a pill box, with a healthy dose of psychological build up.
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1457 Posts

Profile of Darkness
The tear catcher bottles make for a strong emotional connector in a story. If the woman or man who left the tear was one of the last of the true black magic witches, how much fun could that be? What did those eyes witness? Let me show you true darkness.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Grandma's lAST BREATH...False teeth in jar (PK enhanced) Smile
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Quote:
On Aug 19, 2014, The Curator wrote:

Wow, thanks for that link !
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Joshua J
View Profile
Special user
665 Posts

Profile of Joshua J

Carried on with my Pandora's box idea, quite enjoying performing it.

Boxes hold strange fascination for the magician. Until open who is to say what is inside. They contain mystery. You might be able to guess from the box the contents, but until open nobody really knows. They remain an enigma, a secret ready to be revealed. In Greek mythology Pandora was the first woman the gods made. Created by Hephaestus on Zeus orders, then clothed by Athena, given beauty by Aphrodite, Apollo granted musical ability, Hermes the power of speech. She was created as a beautiful evil for humanity after Prometheus stole fire from the gods. Zeus revenge is completed by giving Pandora as a wife to Epimetheus; The brother of Prometheus. Pandora was given a beautiful jar by the gods, but warned never to open it. However her curiosity overcame her and she opened the box releasing all the evils into the world, only one thing remained in the bottom, hope. Pandora feared Zeus's wrath, but Zeus knew all along she would succumb so left her unpunished.

"Only Hope was left within her unbreakable house, she remained under the lip of the jar, and did not fly away." Hesiod.

In later versions the jar, known in Greek as a pithos, became a box. A development through 16th century literature and reinforced through art work.

A Japanese legend about the fisherman Urashima Tarō tells a similar story. The young fisherman, Urashima, sees children torturing a turtle. He saves the small turtle and releases it back into the sea. The next day a huge turtle returns to tell him he had rescued the daughter of the Emperor of the sea. He is given gills by magic and swims to the bottom of the sea to meet the emperor. He remains 3 days, but wants to return to his ageing mother. He is rewarded with a Tamatebako, a paper puzzle box. The box will protect him so long as it remains unopened. He reurns to the shoreline he had left. However everything had changed. His home was gone. His family were gone. All the people he had ever known had gone. He asks the people if anyone knew a man by his name. They answer that a man by that name was lost at sea many years before, almost 300 years. Caught up in his grief he opens the box. He instantly aged to an old man with a long white beard. He realised inside the box was his old age.

In fairy tales boxes have contained magic. In Hans Christian Anderson's story, “the tinder box” the box had the ability to grant wishes and brought the soldier in the story wealth. In horror movies boxes have released all sorts of horrors, from hellraiser to the possesion they have released evils.

Here I have a little old curriosity, an old metal pill box. This old brand, the devils pill, was supposed to relieve anxiety. I don't know what the pills consisted of, but no doubt something you can no longer get on prescription. It also shows the idea of medicating depresion is nothing new. Doctors were no better in the past at trying to route out actual causes of anxiety or depression. A magic pill would solve all.

Please take the box, hold it, look over it, but don't open it. Hold it gripped infront of you in one hand. I would like you to close your eyes and imagine the box contains your worst fear. Try to create a vivid image of this thing. You may feel the box change as you hold it, the fear inside may start to take form and weight. Fear can bring out all sorts of reactions. It may make you sweat, it may make you feel hotter. You may pick up on various emotions and sensations from the box. As the image builds it may feel heavier and just go with it let your arm relax.

The interesting thing about many of our fears is that many have no rationale behind them. People fear animals, insects, spiders especially. Most of whom stand no chance of really hurting us. Many of the things which scare us we have no real reasson to fear or else have no real control over. What we can't control is best left alone and the situation accepted. As children many of us fear the dark and creatures under the bed or in the wardrobe, but as we grow up we realise we have nothing to fear. The same goes for many of our adult fears as we come to terms with our fears and realise there is nothing to fear we feel released.

I would like you to slowly open your eyes and hand the box back as you do you should feel lighter as if you have been relieved of a heavy burden. Inside we can hear something in the pill box. I'm not going to reveal your fear or ask you too, that is your private knowledge. When I open it you will see something strange. Nothing, nothing inside as with most of fears they are based on nothing, just our imagination.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t238/......e781.jpg
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1812 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
Joshua, I enjoyed that. You wlve together a number of box myths ancient and modern into a nice cohesive story. Considering the box fetish most of us seem to be sfflicted by, it is a very appropriate tale. It reminded me of the best parts of JJ Abrams Mystery Box TED talk. Have you seen Rob Zabrecky's use of a box in his youtube performance video?
Joshua J
View Profile
Special user
665 Posts

Profile of Joshua J
Yes I like JJ Abrams ideas on mystery. He is good at story telling and revealing information at the right time. Its an element of our work which is often rushed or overextended. A lot of bizarre props come in beautiful packages, but that part of the routine is rushed over. I've seen Prof BC build up the anticipation on his props beautifully, so the room was fascinated to see objects befoe they've even come out. Certainly something worth putting a bit of thought into. I haven't seen the Rob Zabrecky, but will try and look it up.
Joshua J
View Profile
Special user
665 Posts

Profile of Joshua J
Also on TED talks Andrew Stanton's storytelling probably fits well here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxDwieKpawg
TH1
View Profile
Special user
Zombies beware! I have your heads on
587 Posts

Profile of TH1
Quote:
On Aug 31, 2014, Joshua J wrote:
Also on TED talks Andrew Stanton's storytelling probably fits well here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxDwieKpawg

Great stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Video wouldn't play for me at original link...May be a Safari or iPad issue. Here's an alternate link in case others have similar issues: The Clues to a Great Story
Beware of evil spirits...and depleted batteries! Smile
TheHauntedOne.com
Assembly11.com
Louis Cypher
View Profile
Veteran user
353 Posts

Profile of Louis Cypher
Thanks for sharing. That was a great find. I think a great point was made, "To emotionally hook your audience into caring about your central character". I think my magic is evolving again, moving away from effect and back to more storytelling, which was were I started as a storyteller. I want the magic in the story not the table. I'm going to work more on this.
One of my best (I think) performances was performing the Leslie Melville's "The miracle of the poinsettia" at Christmas time for my kids and their assorted friends, not a single child noticed the leaf change to the rose in a magical way, they just accepted it as part of the story. After I felt a little down, no one had reacted to the change from leaf to flower. It took me a while to realise that the story was the important thing not the transformation, I helped illustrate the story without it being the whole.
Hope that makes some since Smile it's been a long day so apologies if rambling Smile
Best regards
Louis.
Sam Hagen
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of Sam Hagen
Great ideas! Smile
May you live in interesting times.
Nyama Possessor
View Profile
Veteran user
Under the Shade Tree
322 Posts

Profile of Nyama Possessor
Thankful to IAIN for starting such a wonderful thread... Many, many, many great ideas listed here, plenty of food for thought to be mentally digested. Adding onto the cipher, here are a couple ideas I have been tossing around for some years now:

"We-R-Wolves" - Teeth from supposed "Werwolves" are displayed by a Shaman attempting a ceremonial ritual, yet he/she ends up experiencing Lycanthropy, by handling one of the teeth for an extended period of time.

"Effect of the Living Dead" (A Nihilistic Delusion) - The participant is taken on a trippy, psychological, surreal, delusional, "drug-induced" (placebo), shamanistic journey, the effect of which leaves her believing she is dead (Cotard's Syndrome/Walking Corpse Syndrome). Through a healing ritual she is brought mentally "back to life" just like the initiate reenacting the murder of Hiram Abiff (the widow's son).

(http://www.odditycentral.com/news/dead-men-walking-the-bizarre-condition-known-as-cotards-syndrome.html)

"Blood In My Eye" - The performer's eyes bleed tears of blood (Haemolacria) as a result of an insight discovered during a live demonstration of past-life regression.

(http://www.odditycentral.com/news/3-people-who-allegedly-cry-tears-of-blood.html)

"Familiar Faces" - A participant is lead to believe that you and her met before (despite her inability to recollect it). Insisting that you had met in the past, a "futuristic prediction" then reveals something (?) which proves and convinces her you DID both meet before. Could play heavy, could play light.

That's all for now... I'll drop some more ideas soon, the trance is starting to wear off (need to collect more Tabernanthe iboga).

Thank you again IAIN for such a constructive, practical, positive, creative and thought provoking thread.

Ancestrally,
Nyama Possessor
The Honorable NYAMA POSSESSOR

Co-Founder & Co-Creator of MAGICAL REALISM, Owner of ANCESTRAL REALM PRODUCTIONS

* 17 Year Member of the Shadow Network * ICBM Alumnus *

Creator/Author of SUMMONING RUMI and numerous other underground proprietary releases...
Books, routines and tools coming soon, available only and exclusively at www.AlchemyMoon.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Spooky challenge (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL