The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » New Aronson Book On The Way (63 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Quote:
On Oct 22, 2014, lcwright1964 wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 25, 2014, Simon Aronson wrote:
One more thought about my book Art Decko.

The book will be distributed wholesale through Murphy's Magic Supplies, so if you want your local bricks-and-mortar dealer to carry it, tell them they should be able to order copies through Murphy's.

Thanks! I will let my magic shop know. I would like to order directly from you, as I do for gaffs, but you don't ship books out of the US. My store deals with Murphy's and has inquiries about the book with them already. Look forward to seeing it, but till then I have four of your older works keeping me plenty busy Smile

Murphy's is now listing the book in its catalogue. Canadians who can't order direct from Simon should know that Browsers' Den in Toronto has the book on order.
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2014, Tim Cavendish wrote:
Supporting the author directly has benefits.

I have, and have ordered gaffs and individual effects like Red See Passover directly from Simon.

But he doesn't ship BOOKS outside the US, and supporting my local store through a Murphy's order is good too. Ordering directly from Vanishing Inc. is attended by somewhat costly shipping, so I let my store do that Smile

In general, I think supporting one's local magic shop has benefits too. They are becoming an endangered species.

Les
chado158
View Profile
New user
Indianapolis, IN
80 Posts

Profile of chado158
Everything I've read in this book so far is absolute gold. He even has a new version of Fate which can be used with any datebook and a regular deck of cards!!!I'm about 2/3 of the way through so far.
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1513 Posts

Profile of Cain
Quote:
On Oct 25, 2014, landmark wrote:
Probably the biggest surprise is the large amount of space given over to items that depend on gaffs--double facers and the like...

Sounds Solomonesque...
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
mtgoldstein
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston, TX
318 Posts

Profile of mtgoldstein
Thanks for the initial reviews. Added to my holiday list Smile
Pasteboard Alchemist
View Profile
Elite user
475 Posts

Profile of Pasteboard Alchemist
Not to belabor the point, but: still looking for some info on the amount of stack-independent (i.e. not-specifically-Aronson) effects/theories in the book. Thanks!
captainsmiffy
View Profile
Special user
UK, resident UAE
587 Posts

Profile of captainsmiffy
Ive been doing Fate with a regular deck for years......just saying!
Have you tried 'Up The Ante' yet?? The ultimate gambling demo....a self-working wonder! See the reviews here on the cafe.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4930 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Nov 8, 2014, Pasteboard Alchemist wrote:
Not to belabor the point, but: still looking for some info on the amount of stack-independent (i.e. not-specifically-Aronson) effects/theories in the book. Thanks!

Hi. There are four memdeck effects in the book: Shuffle Tracking, Gemini Meets the Stack, Christ-Aronson Aces, and The Aronson Stack Makes Good. The first two are stack independent, while the latter two depend on the Aronson set-up. As a bonus, all four effects leave the deck in memdeck order at their conclusion.
Pasteboard Alchemist
View Profile
Elite user
475 Posts

Profile of Pasteboard Alchemist
Thanks, Landmark. Really good info to know. As Shuffle Tracking has been released multiple times, I'll likely pass on it for a singe stack-independent effect.
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Just got my copy and it is full of gems. It does NOT emphasize memdeck work, as has been previously noted, but that is fine by me--that isn't the only stuff I have loved in Simon's work.

I make some technical observations:

A couple of effects use Bicycle Joker gaffs and require, for matching, the old-style monochrome Jokers. But the newer Bike Standards that folks buy cheap and in bulk at Costco and the like ship with coloured jokers. The old-school 808 decks, with the card back on the box and the monochrome joker, can still be found--I have bought a few through an online seller. One other source of the jokers is the gaff deck for Simon Lovell's Packet Killer--it is available separately on a certain auction site, and includes three monochrome blue-back Bike jokers, as well as a lot of other goodies (double enders for B'Wave and Twisted Sister, various useful DBs, some interesting split cards, the Jack-Ro-Bats packet trick, etc.). The Mandolin back jokers are monochrome, but there is no Guarantee joker, just two standard jokers (albeit marked with 809, not 808). A red rider-back Guarantee joker can be inserted into the Mandolin deck and not be noticed unless you look closely--I use Rider-back DBs with my Mandolin deck and can barely tell the difference myself. I also wonder if one can get one-way force decks of nothing but monochrome Bike jokers--if so, you'd have an ample supply.

The excellent card-to-box Thinking Inside the Box requires an old-style card-back-on-the-box box for reasons that are clear when you read the trick. The Mandolin Back box will do, I think. (I happen to like the Mandolin Back Bikes and have plenty.) Some sources sell the Rider back boxes--just the boxes. I have also saved Rider Back boxes every time I get set of gaffs that ships in one.

The superb Two by Two provides an excellent excuse to also acquire Try the Impossible in order to learn the full theory of the trick's diabolical underlying principle. Indeed, in reading the trick it became clear to me that the trick was doable without the gaffed number deck (children's flash cards or even a blank deck with numbers printed neatly with a Sharpie will do), and the better one understands the math the more leeway one has in varying Simon's presentation. Simon does not get much into the math in Art Decko, and for this reason the entire first section of Try the Impossible should be highly recommended reading for one who wants to understand the trick fully and see how far one may comfortably vary the parameters. I may very well splurge on Simon's number deck myself, but in the meantime I know enough about how it works to experiment without the deck in accordance with what I know of the original principle and Simon's own comments.

I appreciate Simon's no-stack approach to birthday effects, but, as one who has memorized a stack, I still think the memdeck approach is a lot simpler if one has already gone to the trouble.

The relative absence of dedicated memdeck effects is not weakness for me, but if folks turn to Simon largely or solely for memdeck tricks this isn't the book for them. That said, the Christ-Aronson Aces and Aronson Stack Makes Good look like awesome stack-dependent effects that do not require complete memorization of the Aronson stack (though knowing some key landmarks in the stack is important for speed and smoothness). This is good news for me, a Mnemonica guy.

Overall, it seems an awesome book, though I have barely scratched the surface.

Les
chappy
View Profile
Special user
709 Posts

Profile of chappy
Thanks for the write-up Les.
DETAILS OF DECEPTION at www.thedevilsstaircase.com
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Quote:
On Nov 8, 2014, chappy wrote:
Thanks for the write-up Les.

You are welcome!

I have mulled things over a little more and have come to a couple of more conclusions:

I don't think I will splurge on the Two by Two number deck, which, after shipping and exchange will be close to forty Canadian dollars. I have a stack memorized well and am comfortable with the on-the-feet arithmetic of the older Twice as Hard effect, so I will stick with that. However, for a two-card CAAN effect that doesn't require a stack and gives the impression of complete freedom in the selection of card and number, Two by Two is sweet indeed. Who knows? Maybe if I work on my printing I will hand-make a set of the cards with a blank deck and sharpies.

I really don't think that Fate Accompli is a natural successor to Simply Simon's Fate. It is great birthday effect that makes the most of a simple but very deceptive move, but it is quite different from the original Fate, with its great props (if you go to the trouble to get or make them) and mentally gratifying use cross-indexing. I don't know if I will ever print up a set of the older effect's astrology cards, but I will think about it.

Random Sample Shuffle-bored is a much more refined presentation of the effect as offered on first Big Blind Media Ultimate Self-Worker DVD. Simon's newest presentation handles the Ali Bongo folded prediction in a better way and provides a template suitable for copying.

Though most of the gaffs can be made by anyone who has developed some rudimentary card-splitting facility, I think getting a set from Simon for the colourful birthday DB alone.

That's enough from me for now.

Les
LesL
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of LesL
Les, thanks for the great write ups. WRT to the Joker gaff trick - I am unfamiliar with this trick but a source of monochrome Jokers can be had here:

http://www.themagicdepot.com/product_inf......_id=1957

Also, if black colored backs are ok, 4 packs of Bikes are available at many of the retail chain stores (Walmart, etc.) featuring two red decks and two black decks. The black decks have monochrome Jokers.
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Quote:
On Nov 11, 2014, LesL wrote:

Also, if black colored backs are ok, 4 packs of Bikes are available at many of the retail chain stores (Walmart, etc.) featuring two red decks and two black decks. The black decks have monochrome Jokers.

There are also three-packs--red, blue, and black--available at various sources online. Here in Canada Canadian Tire carries them for eight bucks for the three decks. I have gotten plenty of the red-black four packs here at Walmart. They are ten bucks for the four but of late they are harder to find. I love the black Bikes. Not looking for any more bikes at the moment--I went through a hoarding spree over the last year and have several bricks already--a lifetime supply for a hobbyist like me.

Thank you for that Magic Depot link. I will certainly browse around the site so I can take advantage of the free worldwide shipping.
helder
View Profile
Special user
Portugal
973 Posts

Profile of helder
Probably best book of the year. Love it.

:)
My version of Eddie fetcher "Be Honest What's it?" it's available at Penguin Magic
Email: heldermagico@gmail.com
www.facebook.com/heldermagico
magicphill
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of magicphill
Have only dipped inside this book so far but the effect Totally Fooling in the Totals chapter is just that. It relies on a mathmatical stack plus a few very easy moves to result in a double kicker.

Similar to the Undo Influence principle Simon expands on a number of variations of the basic effect with tweaks by Josh Jay and John Bannon
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Landmark and Les,

Thanks guys for your impressions. I respect both of you and this book is on my short list to buy AFTER I figure out how to scare up the dosh to get the offline Digital Genii.

I have never been disappointed in Simon Aronson's work and you guys are KILLING me with all the praise thus far for it.

Best,
Vlad
Brian Thomas
View Profile
New user
Virginia
61 Posts

Profile of Brian Thomas
I just went all in and ordered Art Decko w/gaffs plus the number deck from Simon's website. It too has been on my short list since coming out. The good words here, in particular the reviews from Landmark and Les (thank you for such detail) helped in making the decision to push the PayPal button. More winter reading...but alas I believe my 2014 budget for magic books is now spent.
caigy
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1133 Posts

Profile of caigy
I have given in and just ordered Art Decko from Alakazam and the four gaff cards, with the Two by Two deck, directly from the Simon Aronson website...I may need some help in convincing my Wife that she has bought me an early Christmas present Smile

Paul Mc.
Exclusive Worldwide Supplier of the Grismer Lock.

Top Class, Individually Crafted Performance Pieces, For The Discerning Psychological Entertainer

www.psychicmentality.com www.MagicSiteUK.com
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Another plug--I have enjoyed so much the gaffed card effects in this book (Thinking Inside the Box and About Face in particular) that I have ordered custom-made DFs in Phoenix and Tally-Ho as well from Bernd Maucksch. I actually think Thinking Inside the Box works especially well with the Phoenix Jokers and card case. Moreover, that effect works best with a card-back-on-the-box kind of case, and we have that as standard equipment with Phoenix and Tally-Ho.

Still holding off getting the Two by Two deck. I am finding that working with an ungimmicked handmade deck is a very convincing alternative, proceeding as Simon suggests in Comment 2 on p. 322.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » New Aronson Book On The Way (63 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL