The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What's a Topit? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

fengenroll
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC
226 Posts

Profile of fengenroll
I've heard it's for vanishes and stuff, but I'm not familiar with this prop.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!
F. Smile
perlimpinpin
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of perlimpinpin
Hi,

I don't know to which extent this question can actually be answered without 'exposing'.

However, I can certainly tell you that there has been a lot published about this :

Michael Ammar has a book ('The Topit Book') and video.
Carl Cloutier has a video out on the subject.
Jay Scott Berry has one as well I think.
Pat Page has a small booklet and basic topit on sale somewhere.

Cellini uses a topit, as well as Sylvester the Jester.
Another performer using topits brilliantly is Bob Fitch.

If you do some research on the web you will find all these references and more I am sure.

Without exposing, and although its actual form can vary, a topit is a prop which is attached to your clothing, and allows you to ditch other small items (balls, coins, a deck of cards, cats, whatever) for the purpose of vanishing or switching them. It is mostly used for walk-around work in close-up situations, although some have suggested its use when sitting at the table. The topit is not an 'active' prop (like a pull for instance), it is 'passive'.

Depending on the design of the topit, it can also be used to recover the objects that were ditched into it.

An important element to keep in mind is that using a topit generally requires the use of a jacket or coat of some type. There are people out there using topits without jackets or coats but I think it still remains less practical. (Well that depends on the type of performance attire you use I guess)

Hope this helps
Daniel
fengenroll
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC
226 Posts

Profile of fengenroll
Thanks Daniel,
You did clarify it a bit more, but I am still confused,
is it like The Raven, or more like a gim. like the Switcharoo?
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5358 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Fengenroll, Topit’s have been discussed in a number of threads here at the Café. I think that you would benefit from searching for those threads, reading them and maybe posting some of your questions to them.

Daniel has answered your question fairly completely. You need to re-read his post. You seemed to miss the point of it. If you had read it you would have seen that a Topit is NOT a gimmick like the Raven or Switcheroo.

If I told you that you needed to build something that you could hide under your coat and that you could toss things into without missing, what would you build? Yep, you’re right! You’ve just invented your own version of a Topit.

They are remarkably easy to make and remarkably difficult to master.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
perlimpinpin
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of perlimpinpin
Harry I agree with you about the hard to master aspect. I also found that a topit can be challenging to install as well !

Daniel

Fengenroll,

Some more food for your thoughts :

1) if you know what sleeving is about, well, using a topit is pretty similar in principle

2) Any coat or jacket has sleeves, none have topits, so you need to install one yourself or have it installed. Most of the time, this means learning about knitting.

Daniel
fengenroll
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC
226 Posts

Profile of fengenroll
Ok, thank you for the information guys, I think I get the picture on what a topit is, think I'll stop searching around for topit's for a while, let's say this: I'm not exactly there yet.

Thanks anyway!
-e- Smile
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4355 Posts

Profile of rannie
I sugest that you get the Ammar topit video ,as well as any of Carl Cloutier's topit videos. It will be well worth it . I have been using the topit for about ten years now, the powers/possibilities of this utility is trully limitless.

Should you decide to get one or have one made, please be meticulous with the material, dimensions and the height. You will know what I mean when you finally see it. Good luck, you are on your way to discovering one of magic's best kept secrets.

Magically yours,

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What's a Topit? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL