The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » FIRST THING TO SAY (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

PAUL K
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
547 Posts

Profile of PAUL K
When you walk up to people for the first time to show them Magic. What would you say.

Paul
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hello!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Paul! I suggest that you get a copy of "How To Win Friends And Influence People" (Dale Carnegie) --Check out the Public Library.

Carnegie's book is one of the all time "best sellers". You'll learn much about how to "work" WITH people!

Also, check for a copy of "Selling The Sizzle" (Elmer Wheeler) If I remember, it was written in the THIRTIES. Wheeler was a SALESMAN. When "you" perform, you must "sell" YOURSELF. (A trick is only a creative tool, like the artist's paint brush.)

You cannot show them "Magic". --MAGIC only "happens", in the spectator's mind!!! --IF YOU PERFORM A TRICK, WELL!

Even though you have made over 500 posts, it is apparent, to me, by your question, that you need to do some "remedial" study of basic concepts! I strongly recommend that, if you want to perform a trick so well, that "magic" happens in the spectator's mind, you read--NO, STUDY--TARBELL, and CARNEGIE!!!

I'm sure that you meant well, but, posing a question, such as the one you did, suggests to me that you are looking for ME to do your thinking for YOU.

There "aint" no free rides!". Some may respond to your question, with THEIR "WORDS". --But, "YOU" AINT "THEM"!

My opening lines, fit ME. Odds are that they would not fit you. FOR PETE'S SAKE! DO NOT START OUT WITH: "WANNA SEE A TRICK?" (A wise salesman never asks a "closed question" i.e.: A wise salesman never asks a prospective customer a question that can be answered with a "No."
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Don't ask but show. get them curious.
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
Better they walk up to you and a smile is a great start.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On Aug 19, 2014, PAUL K wrote:
When you walk up to people for the first time to show them Magic. What would you say.

magicjoint.com/pages/the-crowd-goes-wild-promo/

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
PAUL K
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
547 Posts

Profile of PAUL K
I've been doing Magic for over 45 years and doing walk around for up to 500 people.

I was just curious on the different things you say when you first go up to people. Everyone has a different approach.

Thanks. Paul
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1074 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Good morning Paul,
actually, I read your Post yesterday,.. didn't quite understand it,..
read it again this morning,..
it hit me.,
As a Street Performer, I don't walk up to people.
I set up my Show,
and expect THEM to walk up to me,.
with the questions.
Our 'set-up', is the 'cheese',.. the 'wurm',..
they quietly observe,..
we reel 'm in.
We don't say a word, at first!
Funny, ignoring them just tickles MORE interest.
Half the time, they start,.
"What 'cha going to do here?"
,again,. we totally blow them off.,
".... gotta wait and see."
,... "Monika, did you feed the snakes this morning?"

I think, in Street Performing , it's more important.
that THEY want US.

,I simply want my morning coffee!
gotta go buddy,
one's waiting!
,....feed the snakes Monika.
gallagher
PAUL K
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
547 Posts

Profile of PAUL K
Thanks!....gallagher

For the kind words.

Paul
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Quote:
On Aug 19, 2014, PAUL K wrote:
I've been doing Magic for over 45 years and doing walk around for up to 500 people.

I was just curious on the different things you say when you first go up to people. Everyone has a different approach.

Thanks. Paul

You are right everyone has a different approach. BUT! on the street is different. if you go up to people you are weak. you are in a low status. BUT! if people come to you YOU are in a high status. on the street you have to make them curious. read the post from Gallager,above. and again and again.

everything you do on the street is the show. even praparation.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » FIRST THING TO SAY (7 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL