The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Redskins gesture offensive. (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..14~15~16~17~18..27~28~29 [Next]
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5129 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
But this is the best sub-thread in the whole thread!

I know, but who are we against so many? Smile
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Aug 25, 2014, landmark wrote:
Quote:
But this is the best sub-thread in the whole thread!

I know, but who are we against so many? Smile


How do you know that the rest of us don't also think it the best sub-thread in the whole thread?
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Some of the posts get so long and confusing you can't tell what's going on or what's being talked about or who you are talking to.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2882 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Quote:
On Aug 23, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Wow! Leave it to you to slander an entire profession. Personally, I never defended, at trial, a person I knew to be guilty, but I did succeed in keeping several innocent people from going to prison.

So what did you think of Clarence Darrow? (Or have you ever even heard of him?)

Also- have you ever heard of that part of the Constitution that guarantees the right to counsel, whether you're guilty or not?

Those are rhetorical questions, by the way. I really don't care what your uninformed answers would be.


Everyone should have right to counsel, I never said they shouldn't. I'm just stating that most defense attorney's are dirtbags and go further than what they should to get these creeps off the hook. If they committed the crime, they should be there to maybe ensure the sentence is in reflects the gravity of the crime and also their past criminal history. Other than that, they shouldn't be there to try to get the charges dismissed if they committed the crime! How ridiculous! And if I may ask, why didn't you ever defend a client that you knew was guilty? Did it go against your moral grain?

If they are innocent, then by all means let the defense lawyer fight tooth and nail for the client.
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20869 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
So only innocent people are entitled to the best possible defense?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/25......131.html

"I don't go looking for guilty people to represent. Who needs that aggravation, right?"
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Aug 25, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
So only innocent people are entitled to the best possible defense?


Everyone has a right to counsel and that counsels job is to get them the conviction they deserve!
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Quote:
Everyone should have right to counsel, I never said they shouldn't. I'm just stating that most defense attorney's are dirtbags and go further than what they should to get these creeps off the hook. If they committed the crime, they should be there to maybe ensure the sentence is in reflects the gravity of the crime and also their past criminal history. Other than that, they shouldn't be there to try to get the charges dismissed if they committed the crime! How ridiculous! And if I may ask, why didn't you ever defend a client that you knew was guilty? Did it go against your moral grain?

If they are innocent, then by all means let the defense lawyer fight tooth and nail for the client.



I think a lawyer should defend a client to the best of his ability even if he is guilty. That's the job of a defense attorney. To fight tooth and nail for his client, even if his client is a dirtbag. That's just part of the principle of the Constitution that even criminal dirtbags deserve a defense that will fight tooth and nail for them. Sometimes people who are guilty do walk free. It sucks, but they do have a right to a competent defense who will fight tooth and nail for them and a defense attorney has a job to do even if his client is a guilty dirtbag. In the end, only a jury in a fair and square trial should have the right to decide who is guility and not a mob or one single person.

Just like OJ Simpson. I thought he was guilty as heck, but that's not what a jury decided and he has a right to a fair trial and a defense attorney who will fight tooth and nail for him. You might not agree with a jury's verdict but you still have to respect the jury and the legal process.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16356 Posts

Profile of tommy
The term "lawyer" is a general term over here, meaning anyone concerned in the field of law. There is no such thing as a lawyer here in England. There are solicitors, barristers, Judges, legal this and that and all together they are lawyers. People who practice law. Anyone with legal qualifications.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20869 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
How many times do you have to easy tooth and nail in one paragraph to make the point?

And incidentally it is the guilty ones who need the lawyer more.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Aug 25, 2014, rockwall wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 25, 2014, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 25, 2014, rockwall wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 25, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Jury awards are different from settlements, which parties agree to.

Technically true. I believe both S2000 and I were using the two terms interchangeably.

We both were, except that I wasn't.

The origin of this discussion was General Magician's reference to laywers and courts. Jury awards come from courts, whereas settlements (generally, if not exclusively) do not.


Really?

And here when you said, "Lawyers are not responsible for large settlements; blame the jurie", I could have sworn that technically, you meant, "Lawyers are not responsible for large 'jury awards', since as Lobo tells us, juries don't give settlements.

That was a gaffe on my part; I'd meant jury awards.

Good catch.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
With what this thread started out as. I have to ask. Why are we hung up on this lawyer jury stuff? Smile
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Aug 25, 2014, lunatik wrote:
I'm just stating that most defense attorney's are dirtbags . . . .

What evidence do you have that most attorneys are dirtbags?

Lobo cited 180,000 lawyers in California alone. If only half of those are involved in criminal cases and only half of those are defense attorneys, that's 45,000 defense attorneys in California, and you claim that more than half - 22,501 - are dirtbags. I'd like to see the evidence on those 22,501 in California.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16356 Posts

Profile of tommy
It's so secret they can't talk about it.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
6097 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Aug 26, 2014, tommy wrote:
It's so secret they can't talk about it.


Lol....
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2882 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Quote:
On Aug 25, 2014, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 25, 2014, lunatik wrote:
I'm just stating that most defense attorney's are dirtbags . . . .

What evidence do you have that most attorneys are dirtbags?

Lobo cited 180,000 lawyers in California alone. If only half of those are involved in criminal cases and only half of those are defense attorneys, that's 45,000 defense attorneys in California, and you claim that more than half - 22,501 - are dirtbags. I'd like to see the evidence on those 22,501 in California.


Just the mere fact that they defend hooligans all day long is evidence.
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2882 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Quote:
On Aug 25, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
So only innocent people are entitled to the best possible defense?


IMO yes. Why does a child molestor deserve to be let go due to a scumbag lawyer finding a technicality only to reoffend? We say that it's just what happens sometimes, but that tells me that the system is broke. But let it be someone's daughter in this thread and all of a sudden it's different. hypocrisy at its best....
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 5,278+ posts, only credited with
133 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
Next we will hear the pundits say it is in the public's best interest when defense lawyers are able to have prior convictions suppressed.
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2882 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Of course! The jury has no need to know that he's a 5 time convicted felon and was just convicted of molesting 3 children. Oh how unfair to him!!
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Aug 26, 2014, lunatik wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 25, 2014, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 25, 2014, lunatik wrote:
I'm just stating that most defense attorney's are dirtbags . . . .

What evidence do you have that most attorneys are dirtbags?

Lobo cited 180,000 lawyers in California alone. If only half of those are involved in criminal cases and only half of those are defense attorneys, that's 45,000 defense attorneys in California, and you claim that more than half - 22,501 - are dirtbags. I'd like to see the evidence on those 22,501 in California.

Just the mere fact that they defend hooligans all day long is evidence.

But it doesn't support your thesis.

Jesus ate with lepers.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Redskins gesture offensive. (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..14~15~16~17~18..27~28~29 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL