The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Redskins gesture offensive. (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14..27~28~29 [Next]
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I certainly think that those whose job is to pass laws should have a solid foundation in law and legal interpretation.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Members of Congress don't seem all that competent to me. Playing chicken with the nation's credit was very incompetent. Not to mention the influence that money has on politics. The corrupting influence of money seems to produce a lot of incompetence on Congress. Lawyers, are somewhat analgous to like made guys in the mafia. They are part of the elite of society and are on top of the pecking order in our social order of things. They pass the laws, make important decisions for the nation and can take your assets if they want to. If you want to do business, you are wise to pay tribute to the lawyers, the elite of society otherwise you could very well end up paying a much higher price later on to this elite. Lawyers are very powerful and though they may choose not to exercise their power, they can if they wish to do so.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

You've been misinformed. It's been said that lawyers are just hired guns for those who actually have the power.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

I'm not so sure about that. It might seem that way sometimes, but from my angle, it seems the lawyers are the ones with the real power. They can always sue to make money if nobody hires them. Most lawyers are also Congressmen who can pass laws against business if they so choose to do so. Lawyers are also not stupid though, you don't want to kill the goose that laid the golden egg either. This is one of the reasons for LLCs and Corporations it would seem in my view.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

They can always sue to make money if nobody hires them????? Do you really believe that?

Now that we're completely off-topic again....
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Smile
It's almost like when somebody who doesn't know anything about magic tries to "explain" to the rest of the audience how the tricks were done.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Well sure, you can be sued at anytime for any reason. That's what my attorney told me. She didn't mis-advise me did she?

Here is what one person had to say in an article here:

Quote:
You will probably go through your entire life without being sued. There were 278,442 civil case filings in the U.S. in 2012, according to the latest government data, but it isn't exactly a rite of passage for most people. You probably weren't taught in school how to handle a court summons, and your parents probably never sat you down and talked about how someone might try, through legal channels, to take away everything you have.

But every once in a while, it happens. Kat Garcia, 32, who lives in Los Angeles and works in public relations at the National Notary Association, was sued by her ex-fiance in 2010. She says he slapped her with a civil lawsuit for malicious prosecution, emotional distress and defamation.

Garcia describes being sued as "horrible." "It's emotionally, physically and financially draining," she says. "Despite our 'innocent until proven guilty' system, you can be 100 percent innocent and still be sued to the brink of near bankruptcy for frivolous reasons by malicious individuals."

http://money.usnews.com/money/personal-f......ing-sued

It's probably best to assume that you could very well be sued by somebody who is malicious and the law incentivizes lawsuits if somebody thinks they will get a money payout which plays well to drumming up business for attorneys. If you make these assumptions, you will be better prepared for worst case scenarios in the event it does happen. Not saying that the worst will happen, but you want to plan and be ready for the worst because there is always that possibility.

Even if you are sued and you successfully defend against the lawsuit and win it, you still lose because defending the lawsuit could very well bankrupt you and there is a good chance a court will not grant you all the legal fees you had to pay defending yourself even if you win and successfully defend against the suit. To me, that's a great deal of power that lawyers wield when you consider the totality of it all.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

That's all well and good, but what you said was that if lawyers are unemployed they can just sue people to make money. Sue them for what??

If they have a client, they're NOT unemployed. Do you think they just sue people on their own?

You're aware, are you not, that an attorney can be sanctioned for filing frivolous lawsuits?

This is getting silly and is now completely off-topic. In case you forgot, the discussion is currently about the right of a criminal defendant to be represented by counsel and the rold of defense attorneys in the criminal justice system. That has nothing whatsoever to do with civil lawsuits.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Aug 24, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
As I wrote several posts back, and what you apparently missed- A slam was made against defense lawyers in criminal cases. Their integrity was smeared and their need was questioned. That's what the second part of my earlier response to Bob1Dog was about. (The first part was just an answer to his question. The second was to the earlier diatribe against defense attorneys in general.)

Oh, I didn't miss anything. Maybe you misunderstood my question.

First, you said, "Personally, I never defended, at trial, a person I knew to be guilty, but I did succeed in keeping several innocent people from going to prison."

No one asked if you had. Because you offer this without being asked, it almost seems as though this is a badge of honor for you. But then later, you explain why it's important that even the guilty need counsel.

So again, I was wondering, why would you be proud of the fact you never defended someone you knew to be guilty when you believe it's important that they get counsel? If you want to claim that you were just stating a fact and that you're not proud of the fact, why offer it at all?
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 5,278+ posts, only credited with
133 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
"To me, it's pretty obvious that it's a good thing to have people of above-average capability in Congress."

If it's that obvious, then why don't we have them in Congress now? As a group you may consider them to have an above average IQ, but their judgment, common sense and behavior is despicable.
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Aug 24, 2014, slowkneenuh wrote:
"To me, it's pretty obvious that it's a good thing to have people of above-average capability in Congress."

We do. If you think they would be better replaced (in terms of capability) by a cross section of random average Americans - average in terms of intelligence, education, etc. - you're deluding yourself.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Rockwall-

Where did I say I was "proud of the fact" that I never defended someone I knew to be guilty? Reread what I wrote, for you've misquoted me:

"Personally, I never defended, at trial, a person I knew to be guilty..." [emphasis added for clarity] Of course I represented clients who were guilty but I never took those cases to trial. Instead I negotiated reasonable sentences and/or argued for same in court. Because, like I said, EVERYONE is entitled to representation.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Aug 24, 2014, General_Magician wrote:
Members of Congress don't seem all that competent to me. Playing chicken with the nation's credit was very incompetent.

Scary, perhaps, but not remotely incompetent.
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 5,278+ posts, only credited with
133 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
I'm not suggesting we randomly pick and average American, but there are many qualified people who do not have the money, connections or time to pursue a political career and could do an admirable job given the opportunity as opposed to the more fortunate ones who seem bent on squandering the opportunity.
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
Most lawyers are also Congressmen . . . .

Absurd.

Most lawyers - 95% or more - aren't congressmen.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Or as we tell the LSAT students, "'Most' isn't reversible."

General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
Absurd.

BCIII

That's not what I meant to write, I meant to write most Congressmen are lawyers. But if you want to nail me to the wall, you can assert it isn't true. A more accurate statement would be, many members of Congress are lawyers.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
Quote:
Absurd.

BCIII

That's not what I meant to write, I meant to write most Congressmen are lawyers. But if you want to nail me to the wall, you can assert it isn't true. A more accurate statement would be, many members of Congress are lawyers.

Maybe you've hit on exactly the problem: there aren't enough lawyers in Congress.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21005 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I was lost two pages ago.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5154 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Aug 24, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 24, 2014, slowkneenuh wrote:

We do. If you think they would be better replaced (in terms of capability) by a cross section of random average Americans - average in terms of intelligence, education, etc. - you're deluding yourself.

Disagree strongly. With access to staff to insure the proper legal niceties are followed, I think the decisions would be much more representative of the people's will, which, if I recall correctly, was the whole point of the experiment.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Redskins gesture offensive. (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14..27~28~29 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL