The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Redskins gesture offensive. (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..26~27~28~29 [Next]
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
I've been watching CNN Death Row stories about how a lot of death row inmates got exonerated and the only reason why they got put on death row in the first place was because prosecutoral misconduct. I think they also mentioned how later, it was shown that some innocent people were executed on death row. It's pretty scary what kind of power a prosecutor has. But here is the thing, the only reason why they got exonerated in the first place, was because of competent defense who fought tooth and nail for them.

They proved beyond a doubt that the clients were innocent and in the process proved that prosecutors knowingly, willfully and intentionally with-held evidence that would prove the person they were prosecuting as innocent. The truth didn't seem to matter at the time of some of these prosecutions, JUST get the conviction and never mind the truth. What's scary was that few of these prosecutors that were shown on this CNN show from what I saw of the show were ever held accountable for prosecutoral misconduct from what I saw on CNN even after their misconduct was proven. That's pretty scary.

That's a lot of power these prosecutors wield over others. I think we need defense attorneys who fight toogth and nail for their clients, especially when it seems the sort of power that prosecutors wield. One of the exonerated death row inmates said he thought some of the prosecutors should be charged with attempted murder because they knew and had evidence that the person they were prosecuting was without question innocent and with-held that evidence from defense attorneys and prosecuted the innocent person anyway and got them put on death row when they knew and could prove they were innocent. The only reason why some of those inmates got off death row was because of defense attorneys who refused to give up the fight. Those exonerated death row inmates owe their defense attorneys their lives.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20992 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I am not a death penalty advocate for the reason of what if you are wrong? But has it ever recently, since say 1915 ,been absolutely proven the state executed an innocent person?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Very few cases can be said to have been "absolutely proven." But it is the State that is required to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. No defendant is required to prove anything, let along his absolute innocence.

But here are two recent cases which come to mind that certainly raise serious doubts as to whether the right person was executed and, in the second, as to whether a crime was committed at all:


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_DeLuna

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cameron_Todd_Willingham

Since you've been in law enforcement, Danny, I'd like to hear your reaction to these cases.

(In my earlier link to the innocence project, you'll find MANY cases in which death row inmates were exonerated conclusively before their sentences could be carried out. For the most part, they spent many years in jail before Innocence Project attorneys were able to have the sentences vacated. States have also paid large sums in civil damages to wrongfully convicted individuals. But, obviously, you can't give someone years of his life that have been taken away.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20992 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I will look in a second, when I have more time. But it was a WIKI link that made me ask the question in the first place. Obviously once a person has been executed they point out how funding dries up.

On a related note Barry Scheck of OJ fame has a much more interesting project of exonerating capital criminals who turns out are not criminals at all.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20992 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Aug 30, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Very few cases can be said to have been "absolutely proven." But it is the State that is required to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. No defendant is required to prove anything, let along his absolute innocence.

But here are two recent cases which come to mind that certainly raise serious doubts as to whether the right person was executed and, in the second, as to whether a crime was committed at all:


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_DeLuna

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cameron_Todd_Willingham

Since you've been in law enforcement, Danny, I'd like to hear your reaction to these cases.

(In my earlier link to the innocence project, you'll find MANY cases in which death row inmates were exonerated conclusively before their sentences could be carried out. For the most part, they spent many years in jail before Innocence Project attorneys were able to have the sentences vacated. States have also paid large sums in civil damages to wrongfully convicted individuals. But, obviously, you can't give someone years of his life that have been taken away.


I don't want to speak out of school, and keep in mind I have not had to investigate anything more serious than how much Barq's Root Beer is in my fridge in decades. Now having said that let me say this. It seems as if the first one could have been investigated a bit better. It seems to me that at the VERY LEAST he should have been spared the capital punishment just by the seeming lack of absolute compelling evidence.

I have actually read about the second case before. Again these things seem to be fairly good reasons for an argument against capital punishment. Along with wondering if it is the job of the state to kill the constituents.

I am no fan of Barry Scheck. But he is doing very good work as far as I am concerned. I think he did himself and his cause a little more harm than good by doing the OJ trial the way they did. I think it makes people think of that case as "an innocent man" instead of the REAL WORK the group has done. The system NEEDS someone to keep it "honest" for lack of a better word.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Another sad part about the Willingham case, though, was that Governor Perry actually REMOVED people from the board reviewing the sentence, and then refused to even look at the new evidence that came forward proving convincingly that the fire was an accident caused by a portable heater, and not arson.d

In other words, he KNEW that there were serious problems with the evidence but refused to stay his death warrant anyway.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20992 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea hard to say whatb he KNEW but it sure has bad optics.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
From the earlier link:

Quote:
Dr. Gerald Hurst, an Austin scientist and fire investigator, reviewed the case and concluded there was "no evidence of arson", the same conclusion reached by other fire investigators. Hurst's report was sent to governor Rick Perry's office as well as Board of Pardons and Paroles along with Willingham's appeal for clemency.[25] Neither responded to Willingham's appeals. In response to allegations that he allowed the execution of an innocent man, Perry was quoted as stating "he was a wife beater."

"The whole case was based on the purest form of junk science," Hurst later said. "There was no item of evidence that indicated arson." Perry spokeswoman Katherine Cesinger said the Governor had weighed the "totality of the issues that led to (Willingham's) conviction." She said he was aware of a "claim of a reinterpretation of (the) arson testimony."[26]
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
So then these last few pages of posts proves that Redskins is a bad name or the gesture the Redskins made is wrong. I am so confused here. Smile Smile
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Let's stick to something we can all agree on...they're a bad team.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
6250 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Sep 3, 2014, acesover wrote:
So then these last few pages of posts proves that Redskins is a bad name or the gesture the Redskins made is wrong. I am so confused here. Smile Smile



I sure hope that's not what you got. This is laughable and a joke. The name has been around for way to long and no one ever had a problem before. This is just leftist political correctness. There are way more important things to deal with than a flippin' NFL football team name, like 1/3 of Americans and rising now on assistance since the current administration has been in power for nearly 6 years now. But- it's that darn Bush's fault. We know that already so you guys don't have to repeat it.
HudsonView
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of HudsonView
Why don't they just call them the Rednecks and be done with it.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
From asking whether the name "Redskins" is an offensive name for a football team and an offensive gesture, we somehow got to innocent people being executed. I don't know about you but to me, that is a stretch.

Although I do agree with Lobo. They are a bad team.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
6250 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Sep 23, 2014, acesover wrote:
From asking whether the name "Redskins" is an offensive name for a football team and an offensive gesture, we somehow got to innocent people being executed. I don't know about you but to me, that is a stretch.

Although I do agree with Lobo. They are a bad team.


I was being facetious. But also agree with Lobo. They are bad. Though, back-up QB Cousins may bring a spark......
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
After the Eagles game, I'm revising my opinion...Cousins is something else out there. I think the RG3 era is over.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20992 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Hell of a game that was.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20992 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Sep 23, 2014, HudsonView wrote:
Why don't they just call them the Rednecks and be done with it.



Interesting to me how selective name calling and veiled hatred and racism is ok just so you pick the group the PC crowd hates.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
HudsonView
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of HudsonView
Interesting to me how selective name calling and veiled hatred and racism is ok as long as you aren't part of the group being defamed.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Wow, "defamed" even! I wonder how many people know that the term "redskins" doesn't even refer to skin color? Or how many people care.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Redskins gesture offensive. (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..26~27~28~29 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL