The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Any Board Gamers Here? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
One of my favorite games to play are some of the classic board games like "Acquire" and "Betrayal at House On the Hill 3rd Edition." My wife enjoys the "Betrayal at House On the Hill" as well as "Arkham Horror." She is more into the horror or haunted house themed board games whereas I am more into strategy, conquest and making money type games such as "Acquire." But I think the classics are the best and certainly both games are classic games with simple and easy to understand rules and yet has a big depth of strategy involved. "Betryal At House On The Hill" is a haunted house, horror type game but also has a great deal of strategy involved. Anybody ever played any of these games? Any other cool board games anybody would recommend? I think it's good to play board games because it brings people together to socialize, plus it's good for family time.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
We haven't played a board game in decades, but when we last did, it was during the Trivial Pursuit days, which to this day remains my favorite board game. Though as kids we DID play a lot of Monopoly. While I haven't played that for probably about fifty years, I imagine I would still think is one of the best also.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
On Aug 20, 2014, Bob1Dog wrote:
We haven't played a board game in decades, but when we last did, it was during the Trivial Pursuit days, which to this day remains my favorite board game. Though as kids we DID play a lot of Monopoly. While I haven't played that for probably about fifty years, I imagine I would still think is one of the best also.

Monopoly is a great game. My step son and I plan on playing Twilight Imperium which is a game for serious board gamers this Christmas in Vermont when my wife and I come up to visit family. I'm not a serious board gamer, but it's an interesting game and is fun to play. But the game has got a lot of rules and game pieces. I personally prefer games that have great depth of strategy and yet is not too complicated or have too many rules.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I used to love the Avalon Hill/Sports Illustrated games...Statis Pro Baseball, Title Bout, and Bowl Bound probably being my favorites. Played some of the military games - Tactics II, Panzer Leader. Also loved Stratego and Risk. And of course chess, which occupied a coule of years of my life on a full-time basis (before I discovered that bridge is a better game).
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
On Aug 20, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:
I used to love the Avalon Hill/Sports Illustrated games...Statis Pro Baseball, Title Bout, and Bowl Bound probably being my favorites. Played some of the military games - Tactics II, Panzer Leader. Also loved Stratego and Risk. And of course chess, which occupied a coule of years of my life on a full-time basis (before I discovered that bridge is a better game).

You should try Acquire sometime. It's a classic game and I think it was an Avalon Hill game just like "Betrayal At House On the Hill."

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
The board game I still play is a game which is quite obscure because it was published only once, back during the 1970s, which is when I bought it. It's called RESCUE, in which the objective is to rescue stranded people. Its appeal to me is that it's co-operative, that is, players have to HELP each other in order to achieve the highest possible score, which is a collective-type score. So we are NOT competing against each other. After all, if we are engaged in an actual rescue-operation, we would Not compete but collaborate. So that's the principle of that particular game.

You mentioned ACQUIRE. Although I've never played it, I know it's one of the classics, invented as it was by the genius Sid Sackson. The late Mr. Sackson is still acknowledged as the Thomas Edison of Games, since he invented more games than any other person, literally hundreds of games. They include the many that were published in many issues of GAMES magazine which still continues to be published. That is, the magazine continues to be published, but to get those games that Mr. Sackson invented, one has to find old back-issues of that magazine, which is so very hard to do. I myself still have some of those issues from the 1970s, and wonder if anybody else does.

The tragedy of Mr. Sackson's demise is that he had many UNpublished manuscripts of games that he had invented, but when he passed away, those prototypes disappeared or were acquired by private collectors. Many gamers wanted to make a Museum to preserve those games, but that never came to fruition. Not only the Unpublished games but also those in the many back-issues of GAMES magazine should have been published as a Compilation, but sadly never were.
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
749 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
Me and the Mrs used to play Scrabble at least once a week.
Now.?. Maybe once or twice a year.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
On Aug 20, 2014, Orville_Smith wrote:
The board game I still play is a game which is quite obscure because it was published only once, back during the 1970s, which is when I bought it. It's called RESCUE, in which the objective is to rescue stranded people. Its appeal to me is that it's co-operative, that is, players have to HELP each other in order to achieve the highest possible score, which is a collective-type score. So we are NOT competing against each other. After all, if we are engaged in an actual rescue-operation, we would Not compete but collaborate. So that's the principle of that particular game.

You mentioned ACQUIRE. Although I've never played it, I know it's one of the classics, invented as it was by the genius Sid Sackson. The late Mr. Sackson is still acknowledged as the Thomas Edison of Games, since he invented more games than any other person, literally hundreds of games. They include the many that were published in many issues of GAMES magazine which still continues to be published. That is, the magazine continues to be published, but to get those games that Mr. Sackson invented, one has to find old back-issues of that magazine, which is so very hard to do. I myself still have some of those issues from the 1970s, and wonder if anybody else does.

The tragedy of Mr. Sackson's demise is that he had many UNpublished manuscripts of games that he had invented, but when he passed away, those prototypes disappeared or were acquired by private collectors. Many gamers wanted to make a Museum to preserve those games, but that never came to fruition. Not only the Unpublished games but also those in the many back-issues of GAMES magazine should have been published as a Compilation, but sadly never were.

Ahh man that stinks! I am surprised nobody tried to do anything useful with his unpublished manuscripts and that the museum never happened. The guy brought a lot of happiness into the homes of many families with his games!

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
I play Go, Chess and Backgammon, primarily over the Internet now. As a young teen I played Acquire and I LOVED it.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
On Aug 20, 2014, NYCTwister wrote:
I play Go, Chess and Backgammon, primarily over the Internet now. As a young teen I played Acquire and I LOVED it.

I personally think Go is a superior and much more in depth strategy game than Chess. I enjoy Chess and it's an awesome game, but if somebody is interested in gaining a better understanding and developing a more strategic mind, then Go is the game to play.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Lobo- Did you ever play the Avalon Hill game "Gettysburg?" I used to love that.

My favorite board games are backgammon (for money) and chess (for fun.) Clue and Monopoly were also a lot of fun when I was much younger.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Played a few times back in the day. Became a Gettysburg buff many years later. Connection?!

Also love backgammon and Scrabble. Bob, next time you're in town, maybe we can play some backgammon.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Absolutely!
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
843 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
I play chess a little and love bridge. My name on Bridge Base Online is "cardician." They never heard of Ed Marlo there. Anyway, I remember (vaguely, since I was "using" at the time) a board game called "Diplomacy" in which the players were encouraged to leave the room and make secret deals as well as betray each other whenever a player thought it would be to his advantage. Does anyone else remember this game? It was a long game. 1970s I think.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I remember Diplomacy. I think I've played against you on BBO. I'm Lobowolf there (No X's).

Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb

This is a tough game as the rules change as you go.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
They sure do...robbery becomes shoplifting, bullet wounds in the back end up moving, and providing video footage becomes character assassination! But as the saying goes, a grand jury will indict a ham sandwich, so I suspect we'll be halfway to the preordained "justice" outcome before too long.

Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Lobo you have to roll the dice first... then make your move. Remember you don't have to tell us what you rolled for at least a week.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
There is a game called "The Real Game of LIfe" that is worth getting. In addition to the "life happens" surprise aspect everyone keeps a diary to read at the end. This can be the best part. To hear my 89 year old mother describe how she "got knocked-up" and lost a job from lying about her diploma was a hoot.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On Aug 21, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:
They sure do...robbery becomes shoplifting, bullet wounds in the back end up moving, and providing video footage becomes character assassination! But as the saying goes, a grand jury will indict a ham sandwich, so I suspect we'll be halfway to the preordained "justice" outcome before too long.

How about the mystery of the police chief's statement? From "The officer knew nothing of the robbery at the time of the stop," to "He recognized the suspects from the robbery."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Any Board Gamers Here? (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL