The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Any Board Gamers Here? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2892 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Diamond, have you by chance thrown in any Settlers expansions? My favorites are Seafarers and a Traders and Barbarians. I like the ships in Seafarers and the fish in Traders (gives you cool abilities).

Another thing if you haven't seen it before, I got it from kickstarter but is now avail everywhere. Makes setting up and taking down a breeze!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00ETFTX9Q......_redir=1

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tra......ng-board
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
RobDougherty
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of RobDougherty
Lunatik, we regularly use a few of the expansions (my personal fave is Cities and Knights) but that board is a new one to me, thanks for sharing! My friends are going to go nuts when I show up with one of those to game night, really, THANKYOU!
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2892 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Np! my gaming group was so happy that they didn't have to use their cell phones to hold down the borders lol. Now we just drop the tiles in! Just make sure to get the 5-6 player, you'll be able to make a lot more cool scenario's. We currently have 4 middle piece expansions to use if we want, for REALLY big maps with a lot of islands!
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Well, wife and I weren't able to play Arkham Horror like we wanted. My business has been demanding my attention and then we have family coming over to visit, so it doesn't look the wife and I will get an opportunity to play this week. I wanted to join up with a Pathfinder group but then ended up having to drop out and not even participate in one single session, because, well, I had bookings every weekend they played! But I still love my job as a magician! I know the wife and I will get an opportunity sooner or later to play Arkham Horror. I'll have to make time for my wife. I've been reading over the rules again when I get a chance. But it's been slow as I have so many other obligations and responsibilities. Still, I want to get a game in sooner or later.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
RobDougherty
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of RobDougherty
Hi General, unfortunate that you couldn't take part in Pathfinder which is a fantastic RPG that I love to play. If you're looking for an easy "pick up and play" RPG I can recommend the "new" World of Darkness games by White Wolf (which can also have a cool "magical" theme) as a very easy series for gamers who don't have as much free time. Whilst it took me a while to come round to the newer version compared to the original WoD games, I've come to love these games over the last few years for their simplicity in execution and streamlined mechanics (which often lead to a far more "story driven" session compared to the often number crunching combat heavy action of DnD/Pathfinder.) The great thing about the series is it's variety, you have the "core" WoD game which leaves the setting and story very open to the players (and also has awesome expansion sources such as "Innocents" which puts the players into the role of young children, complete with the limited experience, skills and physical attributes of a child. Think a horror/mystery version of "Goonies" and you'd be pretty close to Innocents.) If you want something more overtly supernatural there are themed books for: Vampires, Werewolves, Mages (incredible in terms of the creativity it allows you), Prometheans (like Frankensteins monster), Changelings (fairy/fae folk), Ghost/Spirit-like creatures, Hunters/Slayers (complete with global conspiracies), Mummies, Demons and Magical beasts. The key to the series is a simple "success/fail" mechanics approach where dice rolls are quick affairs with little calculation needed. Whereas a typical Pathfinder session can take an entire evening to progress the story in any real way, I have often had "quickie" 1 or 2 hour sessions with WoD that left me entirely satisfied by the end.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Well, wife and I will be getting a game of Arkham Horror in tomorrow on Labor Day. We'll be going over to a family member's comic book store that he owns. Sure am proud of him for starting his own comic book store and his own business. He has certainly worked hard to put it all together. Wife and I spend our cash there to help his business. He has a gaming room and various tables set up for board gamers. So, wife and I are pretty excited to be going over to play. We might be able to get a few more people to play with us. It's nice to have some free time to spend with the wife.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On Aug 31, 2014, General_Magician wrote:
Well, wife and I will be getting a game of Arkham Horror in tomorrow on Labor Day. We'll be going over to a family member's comic book store that he owns. Sure am proud of him for starting his own comic book store and his own business. He has certainly worked hard to put it all together. Wife and I spend our cash there to help his business. He has a gaming room and various tables set up for board gamers. So, wife and I are pretty excited to be going over to play. We might be able to get a few more people to play with us. It's nice to have some free time to spend with the wife.

It's been almost a whole week since G-M mentioned being finally able to play a game with his wife, but still No follow-up after six days. So I wonder whether he had to postpone again. (As you recall, he had to postpone the other week too.) Whatever the case, it's good that he always tries to find time to spend with his wife. And one of the best ways to do it is with a board-game. There is certainly truth to the rhyme "The family that PLAYS together, STAYS together."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
GM's had to postpone his...uhh...participation in TMC.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16347 Posts

Profile of tommy
The other day I saw a board game. Well it's not a board game but a game board, which is magnetic, with cards that stick to it, so you can play cards outside, without them blowing away.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20992 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Seems as if he will have ample time for gaming.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Oh well...
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Sep 6, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:
GM's had to postpone his...uhh...participation in TMC.

Why?
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20992 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Why or which time?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2892 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Quote:
On Sep 6, 2014, tommy wrote:
The other day I saw a board game. Well it's not a board game but a game board, which is magnetic, with cards that stick to it, so you can play cards outside, without them blowing away.

Out of curiosity, what's the name of this board? Sounds like it may have some potential!
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1278 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On Sep 6, 2014, lunatik wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 6, 2014, tommy wrote:

Out of curiosity, what's the name of this board? Sounds like it may have some potential!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000JLY6EQ......_redir=1
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16347 Posts

Profile of tommy
I don't know, I can't read Chinese yet.

No I don't know really. It might have been that one. I just saw somebody using one.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2892 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Those are magnetic cards but not a game board. good start though! the next time you see it tommy, find out what it is and where they got it Smile
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Sep 6, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
Why or which time?

Why did he have to postpone.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1278 Posts

Profile of imgic
Interesting looking game. Wonder if the US version is "Sorry"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-29050369
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20992 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Sep 7, 2014, NYCTwister wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 6, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
Why or which time?

Why did he have to postpone.

It would be purely guessing on my part.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Any Board Gamers Here? (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL