The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Any Board Gamers Here? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Quote:
On Aug 23, 2014, lunatik wrote:
I really like Settlers of Catan. It's a great euro game with a modular board for awesome replay ability. Our group uses a couple of expansions with it and we love it! Our library is slowly but surely getting bigger, it can be an expensive hobby if you purchase all the games that one finds interesting.

We also like Inkognito, Love Letter/Lost Legacy, SmashUp, Resistance:Avalon, Shadows over Camelot, Memoir '44, Neuroshima Hex, Kingdom Builder, Coup, Revolution, King of Tokyo and so many more. We probably have about 70+ board games at this time. I have a few still in kickstarter as well.

I really like board gaming for the social interactions. Every other week we will visit a few local game stores when they hold board game nights, sometimes we have close to 60 in attendance, great fun!! Smile

I have never played Settlers of Catan but I have heard a lot of great things about it. Are the rules complicated or are they simple and easy to understand?
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2901 Posts

Profile of lunatik
They are pretty simple to understand. I compare it to Risk and monopoly. There's a lot of conquering to do along with bargaining with others. It's probably our most played game!
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5154 Posts

Profile of landmark
Parker Bros games: Monopoly, Life, Sorry!, Careers, Clue, Risk, Rich Uncle, Boom or Bust
Avalon Hill: Gettysburg
Other: Scrabble, Stratego, Chess, Checkers, Chinese Checker, Hi-Q, Trouble
When I was a teen, a neighbor used to come over with his game of Diplomacy in hopes of finding enough people to play, but never did.

GM wrote:
Quote:
It has to be that way, otherwise because society is not willing to give the police a fair shake and will throw an innocent cop under the bus for being justified in his actions,

Normally I wouldn't respond to this, but since it's at least the 2nd time you've said it, please tell: who are all these innocent police officers who have been thrown under the bus for justified actions? Is this just a feeling or do you have actual names and cases?
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

We're trying to stay on topic landmark. The thread is about board games. Let's keep it to board games. We don't want the thread to be derailed.

Anyway, it seems Gettysburg seems popular here. I am not so sure this game is fun. At least not for me. Why do people enjoy this game so much? Is it because we have some Civil War buffs here or the historical significance of the Gettysburg battle during the Civl War? What about the fun factor of this game? Is there a fun factor?
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
All board games can be fun as long as you have a good group of players.

Some just can't handle losing.

We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

I get my butt kicked all the time. Another board game I used to play a lot is Twilight Struggle. It's a strategy game on the Cold War. They have a computer version of it and you play against some really awesome players online. Needless to say, I was no match for my online opponents. But playing online makes you a better player both online or just playing against a friend in a friendly boardgame version match. Both the online and board game versions have the exact same rules.

Another favorite of my family is a game called Talisman. My wife really loves this game. So, I usually end up playing Talisman with my wife and step son.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
I wear a Talisman does that count?

My wife isn't an American so when we first got married I introduced her to most of the Parker Bro's games.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Chinese chess (xiang qi) is a good game, too.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On Aug 24, 2014, General_Magician wrote:

Anyway, it seems Gettysburg seems popular here. I am not so sure this game is fun. At least not for me. Why do people enjoy this game so much? Is it because we have some Civil War buffs here or the historical significance of the Gettysburg battle during the Civl War? What about the fun factor of this game? Is there a fun factor?

It's a strategy game that follows the actual time-line of the battle. So it's also educational. For some it is fun, for others not so much. I don't understand your point. It's a popular game so, obviously, some people enjoy it.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

I like strategy games, but I also want the strategy to be in depth and yet fun. I also like any educational aspects if a game offers it but first and foremost it has to be fun. I've never played the game myself, but I have seen some Avalon Hill wargames with square pieces and it seemed like a lot of rules to remember. I probably should have had somebody who was more experienced with the game to show me the strategic aspects. But again, I have never played Gettysburg though I have seen some of the other Avalon Hill wargames and it seems somewhat similar.

Now Days of Wonder has a really fun World War II game out and it's nothing like Avalon Hill and it has strategy and very simple and easy to understand rules. My brother in law have played against each other in this particular game.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2957 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On Aug 21, 2014, Daryl -the other brother wrote:
Cause here at the Café every conversation is a board game.

! Smile Good one! Smile

I like Clue, too, Bob, but I only have it on nintendo, which my sister got going again last night. The video game has video of a hand rolling the dice. Smile It's same as the board game, I guess. Dang Mrs. Peacock, I think it was, beat me last night. And since I can't find the instructions, would someone mind telling me how the cards are used? I don't recall.
Battleship, Mastermind, Chess. I always wanted to try Operation. I might have tried it at a cousin's back in the day, not sure. Some of the above mentioned sound interesting enough to play. My attention span doesn't hold otherwise. I would like to find some interesting games to play.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2957 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
You guys got me looking around now. This one could be fun. "and spending much of the time talking about hats." I like hats! Smile
Ladies and Gentlemen

Streetcar

Freedom the Underground Railroad
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2901 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Quote:
On Aug 25, 2014, magicalaurie wrote:
You guys got me looking around now. This one could be fun. "and spending much of the time talking about hats." I like hats! Smile
Ladies and Gentlemen

Streetcar

Freedom the Underground Railroad

I haven't picked up Freedom yet, but the reviews are great. I hope to get it soon!
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20998 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I was and to an extent still am a board game nerd. My friend even published a fantasy D&D type game. We played Axis and Allies a lot. Backgammon is great. Cribbage is technically a board game I like a lot.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
was and to an extent still am a board game nerd. My friend even published a fantasy D&D type game. We played Axis and Allies a lot. Backgammon is great. Cribbage is technically a board game I like a lot.

Axis and Allies is an awesome game! My buddies and I in high school played Axis and Allies and we took it very seriously. We had some serious disputes over that game, but we sure as heck loved to play the game. We were very competitive with each other. Imagine 5 type A personalities who play to win and are very competitive in a game of Axis and Allies. You know some crap is going to get started. But boy did we love that game!

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Laurie-

Here are all the rules and history of Clue (Cluedo).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cluedo
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2957 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Thankyou, Bob. Smile

I didn't realize there are so many board games out there and a market for them. Cool. Makes sense in hindsight. But how much press do they get these days?
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6918 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I loved monopoly and Connect Four as a child. I also really liked Boggle and Yahtzee.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

My wife and I will be playing Arkham Horror this weekend. The rule book takes a little bit to read over but it seems like a fun game ONCE you have played it a few times and mastered the rules really well. Fantasy Flight will make some good games, but again, my main complaint is the way they write their rule books. It reads like some kind of stero instruction manual or something.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
RobDougherty
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of RobDougherty
I'm another lover of Settlers of Catan, with the right group that can be a serious night of gaming. Small World is also an awesome game with a great concept, it's almost Risk-inspired in some ways but in others is just totally unique, great game. My all time favourite board game is Talisman which has again been reincarnated in the last few years (has been through a couple of iterations including a fully licensed Games Workshop version with fantastic miniatures) and even has an app-game version now for mobile devices and computers. Fantastic game though and well recommended. I've play Arkham Horror many times and it's an absolute classic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Any Board Gamers Here? (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL