The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups and balls extravaganza (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Christian Wilde
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of Christian Wilde
I like to get inspired by watching talented magicians performances. Today I stumbled upon Ryan Hayashis "Ultimate cups and balls" . I guess many of you already know his act. I just wanted to share what in my experience so far is the most equilibristic cups and balls routine I've seen.

http://youtu.be/nDoVmlMdyi8
shellgame-al
View Profile
Veteran user
Arizona, USA
336 Posts

Profile of shellgame-al
Yes, that was very good! Thanks for posting it.
Manufacture of 3 Shell Game Sets & 3 Disk Monte Sets
3shells.com and magicswindles.com
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1593 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
It is nice but way too long in my view
benhart
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of benhart
I agree with you Christian, this was very good and creative. I think it just got better, as he when on. Much better then what I see from a lot of cups and ball guys. Which is boring, not magical or creative. This guy was very good.
benhart
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of benhart
I agree with you Christian, this was very good and creative. I think it just got better, as he went on. Much better then what I see from a lot of cups and ball guys.

Which is boring, not magical or creative. This guy was very good.
Christian Wilde
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Yeah. I like the progression and the over-the-top'ness of his performance. And I actually forget, that he is performing in his livingroom. Smile
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1078 Posts

Profile of BCS
I know we each like different stuff... I will give him credit for skill, but I found it much too long and somewhat boring.

Thanks,
Bruce
MGordonB
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of MGordonB
Agree that it's technically brilliant, but way too over the top and long. I don't want to say boring exactly because I'm interested in his moves, but I can't see a lay audience wanting to sit through all this.

There's also a matrix routine he.has online which similarly technically brilliant but overlong. When it comes to this kind of stuff, less is definitely more. I shudder to think of what he would do with a set of linking rings.
shellgame-al
View Profile
Veteran user
Arizona, USA
336 Posts

Profile of shellgame-al
If you found it boring, I would sure like to see one you know of that has more action than this one
I think many magicians are set on how something should be done and they are happy with that.
But I think most people watching this routine for entertainment would be entertained.
Entertaining different magicians can be much harder. As we look at it in a different way than the public.
Manufacture of 3 Shell Game Sets & 3 Disk Monte Sets
3shells.com and magicswindles.com
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1593 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
I watched it again, his technique is excellent, but like John. Mendoza says in his DVDs, "too much magic"
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1078 Posts

Profile of BCS
I think Pabloinus said it best.... "too much magic"

And for those that liked the performance, I am glad they enjoyed it. I did not and that is ok.

Take care,
Bruce
Christian Wilde
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

I don't necessarily disagree wtih the people that find it long and boring. But I find it interesting because it is extreme. Most magicians would problably settle with a cups and balls routine that sits somewhere between the instructions in the cheapest plastic cups and balls set you can get and Hayahis performance. I mean some like more, some less. But in my opinion it's fascinating to explore the extremes.
:-)
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1841 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
I think he's just experimenting, pushing the envelope. Does a nice job.
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
1926 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Shellgame Al, look for Master Payne's routine. It is 15 minutes and I have not been bored by it after at least a dozen viewings.

I like Ryan Hiyashi's routine, but for me it was lacking a certain element of theater. Payne's routine showcases his performing personality very well. I did not get a sense of individual character from the performer.

But I cannot do better yet, so I will cut him some slack. Smile

Patrick
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
It feels like I'm being performed "at", rather than "to".

There is a world of difference between Master Payne and this routine; I was not engaged by it at all, because no real attempt was made to engage me, the viewer.

But his matrix extravaganza is worse. I would rather chew broken glass than sit through that again.
benhart
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of benhart
Some like story telling or theater with magic and that is fine.
If I want theater I go see a good play, lots of characters and a great story line.

When I want to see what looks like magic, I go to see a good magician that thinks out of the box. With each trick he top's the one before and his routine does not look like many other routines out there. Otherwise I can appreciate someone's skills but still will be bored with their routine.

I guess what will be boring to some, others will love and be inspired by. It is good there are different types of magicians.
May you all enjoy what you like!

Oh, by the way I seen the Matrix routine, Ryan Hayashi did online. Which I like that too. He did the same matric routine, only it was longer than the one online and he won 1st. place at SAM 2005 and 7th. place at FISM 2006.

I guess they did not think it was too long.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
No, they did not. The audience of magical judges absolutely loved that ****.

The one book I would recommend to Mr Hayashi is 'Our Magic'. If his act is a manipulation act, then it is nowhere. It is a boring manipulation act. Otherwise, read the book.

If you have not read them, there are many interesting discussions on Matrix [Schneider] here on the Café. They deal in detail with your view and my view, and neither of us have to wrestle pigs in the process.

A man called Al Schneider, who plays around with things, has some very interesting points to make about 'Matrix'. It is the best sort of thing that ever happens around here. If you haven't read it all, search a few different threads.
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1078 Posts

Profile of BCS
I hope that I can get my thoughts across... I always thought that those that perform magic as true magic are kind of off base. If they could truly do magic why would they bother doing what they are doing.

I think those that have entertainment skills are much better to watch than those that have have all the moves down pat, but just rely on the moves.

Thanks,
Bruce
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Wow... that was a lot of stuff. I will not critique the routine or the performance, as the performer is not here asking for that. I can see this as doing well in a competition. But, regarding the discussion as it stands here....

Don't overlook the fact that the deeper into magic we go (as magicians), the more esoteric the points of our fascination. I have been to conventions where the after-midnight fodder generally consisted of some top dog cardmen showing the stuff that destroys magicians... who will watch it for hours. Most laymen won't.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Spot on, Mr Baker.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups and balls extravaganza (6 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL