The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Sad or Emotional Music - Suggestions anyone? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Quote:
On 2004-01-24 19:46, Mary B. wrote:
Claire de Lune by Claude Debussy has a rather haunting, emotional melody.

My mom was a pianist, she use to play this one all the time. I love that tune.

If you ever want to see a grown man cry (not) put on Artur Rubinstein Chopin “The Waltzes” Op. 34-No. 2 in A Minor (“Valse brillante”).

Now if you want to hear something really sad let me tell you about my last date…
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
glodmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
501 Posts

Profile of glodmagic
I give up..please tell who!

If possible it would be cool if anyone could post a link to a sample of their favorite.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/bro......-9822253

has short clips from CDs. The samples I posted was from a site called

http://www.moviemusic.com

and of course there is the Best of all of them:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/

Keep 'em coming!
Remember ANY of your posts here can be Googled by your customers and Clients. Just entering your name in Google can bring up your negative comments that stay for years!
Chris Berry
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of Chris Berry
Quote:
On 2004-01-30 15:17, JoJo Hermann wrote:
The saddest out today would have to be "Mad World". Not the Tears for Fears version, but the Gary Jules Version that has hit #1 here in the UK.
Oh and by the way... one of our own magic Café members plays in the band with Gary Jules and plays on that song. Can you guess who?

Jojo, would that be you?

Yes Mad World is a sad song. But it is a good song. I remember when I watched Donnie Darko and I heard that song at the end!

Chris
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
I do not want to sound like an elitist or a snob - but tastes can vary according to just how much you know about music and how much and for how long you have listened. A casual listener may say John Williams theme from "Schindler's List". Someone who has studied music may say "Rachmaninov's Adagio in E Minor". If both pieces create emotion then both have succeeded even if the Williams piece is like a Grade 1 beginner's tune compared to the Rachmaninov. I was lucky enough not only to have been given the gift of piano playing as a child, but also worked as a professional musician for many years, and am glad to hear your views on the works of Claude Debussy in particular. Barber's Adagio is an emotional piece of music but it is intended to hit the listener directly in the heart-strings. Others are more subtle in their composition maybe? Anyway, enjoy YOUR music and thanks for bringing up such a good topic.

Tony. Smile
glodmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
501 Posts

Profile of glodmagic
True true Aceparties,
I doubt anyone here would disagree with your educated comments.

Most interesting is the diversity in what music tugs at the heart in this thread.
Remember ANY of your posts here can be Googled by your customers and Clients. Just entering your name in Google can bring up your negative comments that stay for years!
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
I have to agree with mad world by Gary jules as in Donny Darko.
I do think it is personal though and I personally like November Rain by Guns and Roses but I am pretty sure no one else would consider it as sad as some of the songs mentioned above.
The guitar solo really gets me going.
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2324 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Well no one has seemed to mention this yet. But I have always thought that "Pachelbel's canon in D" would be perfect for a performance. It could be used for a silent close-up act, parlor, or stage.
But done with a live orchestra would be best in my opinion.
Welshwizard
View Profile
Loyal user
Wales
292 Posts

Profile of Welshwizard
Tut tut, Tears for Fears ORIGINAL is far better than the Gary Jules cover of Mad world. I do like the Gary Jules cover as well by the way.

Other sad music:

Anything by Cold Play (I hate this band)
David Gray.
There is a CD out called 'depression'. It's a collection of sad/emotional music.
The theme from Jean de Florette.
The theme from Paris, Texas.

Other than film theme tunes I can't think of anymore now.
Magix
View Profile
Elite user
432 Posts

Profile of Magix
One of my all-time favorites is At This Moment by Billy Vera and the Beaters.

This is the only link I could find -

http://www.externet.hu/AAS/FamilyTies.htm

Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page.
Jem
View Profile
Veteran user
Singapore
342 Posts

Profile of Jem
I think Beethoven's Pathetique Sonata (Adagio Cantabile) is one of the more tragic yet beautiful pieces of piano music I have heard. Then again, many of Beethoven's works were deeply tragic, considering his temperamant and the kind of life he had. Many of his songs are a tad too emotional for my liking though.

I think there are many soundtracks which have very emotional music. I particularly like Michael Nyman's soundtrack for "The Piano". I think its partly due to the fact that the music accompanies a particular storyline, which is usually tragic, and that's what makes the soundtrack's music even more effective.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
New World Symphony would work except in the UK where it just reminds people of bread.

A bit of Radiohead, perhaps?
Decker
View Profile
Loyal user
Hades
211 Posts

Profile of Decker
If you've read Lord of The Rings the following, titled Gollum's Song, is pretty heart wrenching. If you haven't read/seen it just imagine a shell of a person whose life has been unnaturally prolonged for 500 years linging in utter despair. And of course even the second personality Gollum has invented for himself betrays him on a constant basis...

Where once was light
Now darkness falls
Where once was love
Love is no more
Don't say goodbye
Don't say I didn't try

These tears we cry
Are falling rain
For all the lies you told us
The hurt, the blame!
And we will weep to be so alone
We are lost
We can never go home

So in the end
I'll be what I will be
No loyal friend
Was ever there for me

Now we say goodbye
We say you didn't try

These tears you cry
Have come too late
Take back the lies
The hurt, the blame!

And you will weep
When you face the end alone
You are lost
You can never go home
You are lost
You can never go home

The song is haunting, and hidden at the very end of the Two Towers movie during the credits.
"He had alot to say... He had alot of nothing to say..." --MJK
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
You know, really enjoying reading the postings on this. I ask you all to sit back and try and detach what creates sadness in you personally because it relates to some incident or time of your life, - i.e. my father died when I was very young. The Beatles "Michelle" was being played over and over during this week. Every time I hear "Michelle" it makes me feel sad - but I have to say that musically I find it absolute tosh. Others may attach military tunes or sounds to their inner emotions, i.e. here in the UK (and I think a few other places too) the sound of the pipes leads the emotions into visualising 'Tommies' marching through a smoky battlefield, bayonets fixed; or in the USA the "Star Spangled Banner" is not just an anthem as in most other countries, - but it is a sacred melody that stretches the emotions to the limit.

So how about just a 'good sad tune' and try and detach from that melody that reminds you of mom or dad, or that love that 'got away' who you still think of!

Interesting? Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Sad or Emotional Music - Suggestions anyone? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.45 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL