The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » 360' Routines for weddings. Not-so-grand illusions. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tyler Salvador
View Profile
New user
Toronto, ON
33 Posts

Profile of Tyler Salvador
Hi there!

Im looking for a few tricks that can be done center dance-floor at weddings. Ideally I want it to require one or both of the newly weds. I want something I can write a good, clean, fun, comedy routine for with lots of audience participation. So something that has a few nice beats or phases to it. I don't want cards.

These tricks would be part of an MC/Magician combo-role so they would be used as entertainment between courses and to gather attention before speeches. As such, I'm willing to invest a bit into something that really fits the bill.

Currently I'm looking at a light-heavy chest. Id like to hear other suggestions or recommendations!

Thanks!
Tyler Salvador - Barnacle Bart the Pirate
www.barnaclebart.com
scenic effects
View Profile
New user
Wisconsin - USA
77 Posts

Profile of scenic effects
Just brainstorming here - how about a wrist chopper using both bride and groom - the spin being the solid commitment (a solid thru solid approach)?
Tyler Salvador
View Profile
New user
Toronto, ON
33 Posts

Yea! Brainstorming is what I'm looking for! Some people to think-tank with.

Wrist chopper is a cool idea! I can already see a lot of potential laughs.
www.barnaclebart.com
magicjoe
View Profile
Special user
758 Posts

Profile of magicjoe
Do as I do type effect where the bride can do something but the husband can not.

3 easy tasks the husband can do but the last "hard" task he can accomplish if he can accomplish one task he gets to keep the wife.
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Cut and restored rope is a classic for a reason. Have one spouse hold each end after you do the work. Talk about how we say marriage is tying a knot, but sometimes it can be much more than that. When two people learn to pull together, they learn that marriage makes them one. Use the pop knot so as they pull on the ends the knot falls off and the rope is seen as one rope.

This has meaning, is fairly simple to do, and costs pennies.

Patrick
Tyler Salvador
View Profile
New user
Toronto, ON
33 Posts

Great ideas!

What's a good do-as-I-do effect/routine that is large enough to be seen by people at their tables? (Other than the chest which I already mentionned). The halls that I will be performing at are around 700 people for the large weddings.
www.barnaclebart.com
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
997 Posts

Profile of Aus
Have a few comedy wedding tricks suggestions. If you’re open to satire on wedding and married life here are some ideas.

Wedding Dairy: Take a dairy effect and on each date put a funny line that comes across as an entry from an indecisive bride. Have an envelope with your prediction of date and diary entry and have the bride come up to decide on her wedding day as a context for the performance. All this is done in retrospect of course as if caricaturing the lead up to this wedding, you could even have a tongue in cheek intro for the trick as you commandeering the brides wedding planner. She picks a date and is offered to change her mind (like indecisive brides do) and when she commits to a date you open and read your prediction which predicts everything.

Misers Dream: Who holds the purse strings in the relationship? Have the bride on the left and the groom on the right and you in the middle. Holding the bucket create comic situations where the bride takes the grooms money. Get yourself a Comedy Growing Pants Pocket (order from your local dealer) and have the groom install it before hand as comic final of the routine. Another final could be transformation of the money into a pair of shoes or a gift card to women’s clothing store. Most people will see the cliché elements to those ideas, think of the funny stage picture being created by the groom with his growing pants pocket out with his bride holding her new pair of shoes or gift card; finally answering the pivotal question.

Mind reading Demonstration: Guys are always complaining about not knowing what women won’t so in an effort to help domestic harmony you offer the groom some help in understanding his bride better with a mind reading demonstration. Have the groom come on and hand him a Crystal ball wrapped in a hanky (this should get some laughs) then have the bride come up and hand her some cards that have some domestic duties on them ie: take the rubbish out, mow the lawn etc. You could have some real fun with this with playing with the grooms interpretations. For a method for the groom to read suggestions from the ball look up “Dunninger’s Mental Card Trick” out of “Scarne on Card Tricks”. For Props get a clear acrylic contact juggling ball (Murphy’s will supply them to your local dealer) or if you want to go the budget option us a glass of water (idea from Fulves Self-working Mental Magic).

With the cards the bride holds put a ball and chain image on the back for some comic value.

Also there is a marketed trick called Genetics by Sean Goodman which if you could make yourself up a parlour version I think would work great as a litmus test for how well the groom and bride know each other.

All these ideas assume a level of familiarity with the bride and groom so you will need to season the comedic situations to their sense of humor and tastes, but I hope this gives you some ideas.

Magically

Aus
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
You might find it interesting to read these old threads on the topic:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&forum=8

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=161

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&forum=5

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=15

That was a trip down memory lane!!! There was some good ideas and tips back then.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
billmarq
View Profile
Special user
State near Arizona
570 Posts

Profile of billmarq
Using the right patter, the Gypsy Thread or it's variation, the Gypsy Balloon, would work well I believe, possibly as a closer.
Honi soit quit mal y pense.
radamwarner
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
170 Posts

Profile of radamwarner
How about using the Linking Rings. Given that wedding rings are generally an essential part of the wedding ceremony, they could make a very memorable impression on the bride and groom.
simplymagicweb
View Profile
Inner circle
Norfolk, UK
1415 Posts

Profile of simplymagicweb
I use my effect Tick Tock as well at weddings. The bride and groom both have a small pocket watch and change the times with the watch face downwards. When they are turned over, the times both match, plus it's the exact time they got married! Nice.
Magically,

Website - www.simplymagic.co.uk
Twitter - www.twitter.com/simplymagic19
Facebook - www.facebook.com/SeanGoodmanMagician

Creator of BDZ, Holidayz, The Grayle, DUO, Secret Servante, Genetics, Vision, Tick Tock, Starstruck, CelebriDate, MagiDate, Focus, SIGMA and R2R
vincentmusician
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
266 Posts

Profile of vincentmusician
In the middle of a Dance Floor, the floating Table would be nice. I do not do it but I have seen it done live and there are lots of videos of Magicians doing it. It is surround proof too! Cheers!
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1040 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
I've found Duke's Dye Version to be a wonderful closer for wedding performances. DDV became a staple of my surrounded shopping mall show back in the 1980s. But with weddings it has a special theme.

Typically, table hopping occurs before the centralized wedding performance. During that time I invite the guests to sign a large 'card' expressing their support for the wedding couple. This card becomes the tube used in DDV. The newly weds are brought together front and center. They are each given two silks representing various aspects of their lives coming together into one...time, wealth, health, and family. They are put in tube as each is talked about a little bit. This grows into a love which will keep you connected no matter how far apart you physically find yourselves from time to time. Each of them takes a corner of the streamer and walk away. Then ask them to come back together saying that everyone here hopes that those times of separation will be few and each of us here are committed to helping in any way we can through your life together. To this we have pledged. The tube is unrolled and they are presented with the signed card and a round of applause from the audience affirming their support. Usually this then goes back to the DJ for the first dance at which point you place the card with their gifts so it finds its way home with them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » 360' Routines for weddings. Not-so-grand illusions. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL