The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Looking for a technique (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The.Amazing.Boy
View Profile
Loyal user
France
299 Posts

Profile of The.Amazing.Boy
Hello there,

I really don't know if this is the right forum but anyway here it is.
I remember seeing a while ago some video of a famous entertainer talking about a theory in magic called something like "the three attention points" or something similar. The main idea was that a spectator can follow (read "pay attention to") two spots or things if he really wants to but doing so for three is impossible. That being said it is then possible to direct properly the gaze of the audience to properly shape the desired misirection pattern.
I also remember that the performer was using a fan of cards held up in the air to make something else dissapear.

It sounds a lot like a Slydini technique, but could anyone confirm and provide some kind of source ?
This would be of a great help.

Thanks a lot ! Smile
Be Cool Smile
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8328 Posts

Profile of funsway
Search for "directed focus" rather than "misdirection" -- might help
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
I wrote a guest editorial in Magic about the power of 3, if you do come across the article you are talking about I would really appreciate a head's up please, it does sound very interesting.
Thanks!
Bri
The.Amazing.Boy
View Profile
Loyal user
France
299 Posts

@funsway : good point, I'll think about it in my next search.
@cupsandballsmagic : will do ! Smile
Be Cool Smile
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5260 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Amazing Boy, try this article by Jarle Leirpoll: http://www.leirpoll.com/choreographic_misdirection.htm

Jim
The.Amazing.Boy
View Profile
Loyal user
France
299 Posts

Thanks Jim, I'm always happy to read you in the threads I follow ! Smile
I'll dive into this article tonight and tomorrow. It really seems interesting. Actually I nearly found it because I stumbled upon this link which refers to yours as well as many others :

http://www.leirpoll.com/misdirection/misdirection.htm

If some of you are interested I think it is a goldmine.

Still looking for that video though, I'll keep you guys updated. To me it really felt like a very advanced misdirection technique because it used three simultaneous actions, instead of two like we usually all do.
Be Cool Smile
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5260 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
TAB, I still marvel over your Shadow Coins video! I'm curious, did you ever get that routine perfected to the extent that you wanted?

Take care.

Jim
The.Amazing.Boy
View Profile
Loyal user
France
299 Posts

Well, I found a few ideas for the presentation and for the cleanup at the end, but I think I reached a peak for the technical aspects. Still working on the speed though because some said slower could be nice. Anyway it is really good like this anyway, everybody seems to enjoy it Smile I wish I let the video public, but out of respect for Kenner this is better like this ! Smile
Be Cool Smile
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5260 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Sounds good, TAB. Good luck!

Jim
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26867 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
The first thing to watch out for is confusion. Check Vernon's comment about that.

Then there's Juan Tamariz's Five Points book which includes guidance about how to attend the audience while performing a secret action under an overt action (those are likely the three points you mention Smile ) which has a nice picture of him holding a fan of cards Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The.Amazing.Boy
View Profile
Loyal user
France
299 Posts

Thanks for these two directions Jonathan ! Smile
Be Cool Smile
Glenn Watson
View Profile
Special user
732 Posts

Profile of Glenn Watson
WHAT IS HAPPENING TO ME? I JUST UNDERSTOOD ONE OF MR.TOWNSEND'S POSTS.Has language as I knew it ceased to exist??
,ek jkelc eljxl okkls; wkkpe; ty, 1wkpog, i6tklwpj. Oh great!
Excollector. Liquidating unused and slightly used items.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Misdirection or, as Funsway better refers to it as "directed focus", is made according to Arturo Ascanio of three elements
A glance at the intended move the audience will have to focus attention to
An "in transit action" (false transfer, lapping,...) for the busy hand TO BE ABLE TO make the move announced by the glance
The "main" move announced by the glance.

Vernon was calling this magic management and his best demonstration was in Kangaroo Coin with the use of the glass placed on the left side

Slydini is more focused on how to generate strong amplitude and low amplitude of attention around the "main move" (body erect, up movement...) and low amplitude of attention (shoulders back, breathing out....) during the "in transit action". Recently Tom Stone in his Penguin Live Lecture develops such points with additional points

Juan Tamariz illustrates it, as Jonathan reminded, in Five Point In Magic but he also explains in his 2nd(?!) DVD lecture with International Magic that to create an "off beat" attention time, one only needs to create a strong focus before as (and this was also stressed by John Ramsay), after a strong time, comes a weak time of attention (Ramsay was calling it a "blind spot").

Tommy Wonder didn't have enough space in his books to really fully explain the "rule of three" that we were discussing (by fax at the time) extensively when he wrote his book. But if you get there, you'll find informations that may not be totally clear but are, in my opinion, very pertinent
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
The.Amazing.Boy
View Profile
Loyal user
France
299 Posts

Once again, this is very useful! Thanks Laurence! Smile
Be Cool Smile
scottjenkins
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of scottjenkins
Quote:
On Sep 29, 2014, Lawrence O wrote
Tommy Wonder didn't have enough space in his books to really fully explain the "rule of three" that we were discussing (by fax at the time) extensively when he wrote his book.

Hi Lawrence!
Are you able to share this information?
Thanks.
Scott Jenkins
Magician Member of the AMA
Joe Porper's partner!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Looking for a technique (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL