The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » News Story on Busking in Ocean City (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

writeall
View Profile
Special user
Midland, Michigan
930 Posts

Profile of writeall
NPR ran a piece this morning about busking in Ocean City, MD. Apparently, some buskers won court cases there against the city and opened up the boardwalk - wide open. The story is about the explosion of buskers now and push-back from retailers.

http://www.npr.org/2014/08/26/342241266/......l-debate

Comments?
Anyone working that area?
sjbrundage
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of sjbrundage
I worked the Ocean City Pitch for about a week last year. A little overwhelming with the amount of people there busking. It looks to only be worse now.
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1074 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Hey Writeall,
thanks for passing the NPR Story on.
I have to admitt, such reports send crispy chills up my spine,..
burrrr(!).
,the bit about the 'Poll Dancer' was kinda funny though!

I've never been to Ocean City.
I guess a lot of folks here, on the site, have played there,.
I seem to recall, JoeJoe actually started the Magic there,.. a long time ago(!).
George Gilbert,. there'e a 'Jimmytalksalot clip', Eric Evans,.. I think even a 'Sonny Holiday clip', in the parking lot(!).
Man, the place has some history!

still,..brrr,.. "what does one do?"
,the questioned found no answer in my head.
The fear that the situation will sweep 'everywhere!',...!.
I guess we have to stick to our guns,
our greatest strength,..
Mobility.
If we can remain Mobil...
we have to remain Mobil.
I guess "Busking", means more then "..looking for a spot".
I believe it's root are deeply in the word "looking",..
always looking.
,...eyes in the shoes.

hey Writeall, I wish you well,.
maybe we should meet in O.C.,..
for vacation(!).
,take in some Shows.
Have our picture taken together with Bob the Builder,.
save our last dollar for the Pole Dancer!
,watch her 'move'...!
smiles from Bad Hersfeld,
gallagher
G.Gilbert
View Profile
Elite user
baltimore
495 Posts

Profile of G.Gilbert
This was my home pitch for many, many years ..... The city knows me very well.

I worked around the clock with a close friend of mine, Mark Chase, the Rutherford Institute, and with the ACLU to keep it open when they were trying to ban street performers

countless town hall meetings, and protests.

In the long term, we Won.. Street performers can work... but they did take away one of our best pitches, and now it's not very good for shows........

But I am starting to get older. And tired of the BS. I don't want to be where I'm not wanted anymore. What I do is valuable, and if the city can't see the value of buskers, I don't want to be there. Which is why I moved on last year... This summer was my first summer not being in OC in 9 years......

https://www.facebook.com/georgegilbertma......&theater
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
George wrote: "if the city can't see the value of buskers".
I wonder what, if any, articles have been written where-ever, assessing the value of buskers to a city.
Do city-folk often ask after particular buskers when folk find they are not at their pitch [of course, city folk wouldn't call it that word]? Who knows...
How many magician buskers get told by people in the streets, "It's good to see you back here on the street" or equivalent?
I busk because I enjoy meeting people and having fun and mystery with them. I've got no idea what my regular busking city officially thinks of me.
The presentation makes the magic.
G.Gilbert
View Profile
Elite user
baltimore
495 Posts

Profile of G.Gilbert
Businesses love buskers when business / foot traffic is slow because we draw crowds... But when the area gets busy on a regular basis, buskers seem to lose their value, then they don't care about us anymore.... I recall a time when Talksalot was working the gas lamp when the shops were flourishing, and was hassled by police a lot.... But after the economy scare in 2008 / 2009 people were not coming out to shop as much... Talksalot did some shows, and the businesses loved him.. When the police came to shut him down, a shop owner came out and said "No! We want him here..."..... The police got mad and told them that they need to make up their mind, and left..

This is the thing with ocean city.... THE OC boardwalk is going to have 500,000 wall to wall people every day whether buskers are there or not. It was a tourist destination before street performers showed up. The people go for the ocean, the shops, the food, the carnival...... If there were nobody there, and street performers helped make it a tourist destination then the city might see us as having some value... but this isn't the case. The people were there first.

I would rather be on an established pitch with an established program where street performers are wanted and expected...

Boston Fan. Hall, Balt. Inner Harbor, Mallory Square are just a few ....

YOU CAN WORK OCEAN CITY.. but the shop owners, and police don't want you to....

a lot of people have come through oc in the last 10 years...
Jesse Stickley, Kris Bentz, Sonny Holiday, Rambles, Alexander, Eric Evans, Chanz, Jimmy Talksalot, Brian Bloodworth, Gazzo, Keith Balloonatik, Birdie McClaine, Valentino, Ried, Jase, Blue, Seth , Mariah Silver Bride, Dano Escapes, Dallas Saupe/Nicholas Stainback .. just a few.... street magicians would stay the whole summer here to work and study

Sadly the pitch sucks now since N Division street was banned
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Thanks for that, George.
The presentation makes the magic.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Sep 4, 2014, MagiCol wrote:
George wrote: "if the city can't see the value of buskers".
I wonder what, if any, articles have been written where-ever, assessing the value of buskers to a city.
Do city-folk often ask after particular buskers when folk find they are not at their pitch [of course, city folk wouldn't call it that word]? Who knows...
How many magician buskers get told by people in the streets, "It's good to see you back here on the street" or equivalent?
I busk because I enjoy meeting people and having fun and mystery with them. I've got no idea what my regular busking city officially thinks of me.

I've had people come up to me at Wal-Mart and say; "Hey, you're the guy in the park! You were really good!"

Not THIS year of course, but it HAS happened.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » News Story on Busking in Ocean City (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL