The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Guns don't kill people... (35 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..24~25~26~27~28..32..35..38..41..44~45~46 [Next]
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I think that's maybe just a semantic difference. To my mind, if you say, "I know that a certain number of people will die under this framework, but this is the framework I want; these are my ideal gun laws," then you're accepting it. My prediction isn't much of a prediction. Per CNN, we know that there are already a fair number of people who want to ban private ownership of guns altogether. To deny my "prediction" is to suggest that nobody favors unreasonable gun laws, which doesn't seem plausible.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
What are you doing here, anyway? Shouldn't you be watching the Seahawks beat the Packers?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Surely the point is, that if one elects a complete tit locally, who runs on gun freedom, then it's awfully difficult to get that particular tit to sit down and negotiate nationally? It's really up to your political parties to align themselves with sensible debate. At the moment, one side seems remarkably stupid, bordering on insane.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
To accept that "there are already a fair number of people who want to ban private ownership of guns altogether" would mean that Bob would no longer be able to call that a straw man argument. I'm not sure he's willing to do that.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Sep 4, 2014, tomsk192 wrote:
Surely the point is, that if one elects a complete tit locally, who runs on gun freedom, then it's awfully difficult to get that particular tit to sit down and negotiate nationally? It's really up to your political parties to align themselves with sensible debate. At the moment, one side seems remarkably stupid, bordering on insane.


I would never suggest that Democrats are bordering on insane but I will give you the remarkably stupid part.
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
176 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Sep 4, 2014, rockwall wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 4, 2014, tomsk192 wrote:
Surely the point is, that if one elects a complete tit locally, who runs on gun freedom, then it's awfully difficult to get that particular tit to sit down and negotiate nationally? It's really up to your political parties to align themselves with sensible debate. At the moment, one side seems remarkably stupid, bordering on insane.


I would never suggest that Democrats are bordering on insane but I will give you the remarkably stupid part.


Gotta hand it to Rockwall - this did make me laugh. Smile
(and I don't mean that sarcastically - it was actually a good line)


Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On Sep 4, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:
What are you doing here, anyway? Shouldn't you be watching the Seahawks beat the Packers?


I am! I am watching as I type!
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On Sep 4, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:
I think that's maybe just a semantic difference. To my mind, if you say, "I know that a certain number of people will die under this framework, but this is the framework I want; these are my ideal gun laws," then you're accepting it. My prediction isn't much of a prediction. Per CNN, we know that there are already a fair number of people who want to ban private ownership of guns altogether. To deny my "prediction" is to suggest that nobody favors unreasonable gun laws, which doesn't seem plausible.


That small number of people is more than balanced out by those who would prefer no gun controls at all.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Sep 4, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 4, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:
I think that's maybe just a semantic difference. To my mind, if you say, "I know that a certain number of people will die under this framework, but this is the framework I want; these are my ideal gun laws," then you're accepting it. My prediction isn't much of a prediction. Per CNN, we know that there are already a fair number of people who want to ban private ownership of guns altogether. To deny my "prediction" is to suggest that nobody favors unreasonable gun laws, which doesn't seem plausible.


That small number of people is more than balanced out by those who would prefer no gun controls at all.



It depends what you mean by "balanced out." Per the middle-of-road CNN, the "no guns at all" faction is bigger.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5138 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Sep 4, 2014, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 4, 2014, tomsk192 wrote:

The current President is in favour of reforming healthcare and gun control. From the other side of the Atlantic, it's a total no-brainer. And well done for electing a President who got his hands dirty. The USA will look back on him better than they look at him today, is my prediction.


I have the same feeling. Especially in light of such unprecedented and virulent opposition by the opposing party. A party who early on publicly announced that their top priority was to see that Obama be a 1 term president.

Ron

He will be remembered by many as the man who had the opportunity to change the course of the country from the preceding psychopaths and then went back on every promise made to the people who voted for him. Kind of like those mystery thrillers where the serial killer turns out to be the detective.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
He will be remembered as the bloke who started to spread the sh*t. Clever bloke.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
He'll be remembered as a skilled politician in a non-complimentary sense of the word. A guy with almost no political experience who was elected because he could give a great speech, then took office and found out the job was a lot harder than it looked. And as Landmark (is there a more liberal poster here in NVMS?) points out, one who "went back on every promise made to the people voted for him."
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
My analysis differs from yours, but he wasn't my Prez.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Except he didn't.

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/magazin......page=all

And all that, and more, with a GOP that vowed on his first inauguration night that their primary goal was to obstruct everything and to insure that he'd be a one term president.

He will certainly go down in history as one of our better presidents.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Sep 4, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:

He will certainly go down in history as one of our better presidents.


Wow! I'll take the "under" on that one. He will almost certainly go down in history as a subpar president, and lucky if he escapes with a C-.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I'll take that bet.

Please provide a comparable list of GWB's fifty greatest accomplishments.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Sep 4, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
I'll take that bet.

Please provide a comparable list of GWB's fifty greatest accomplishments.


lol Yup...the best thing his supporters will say is, "Well, at least he was better than Bush." Unfortunately for his legacy, those supporters won't even contend that such a comparison gets him out of the bottom 10%.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Sep 4, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Except he didn't.

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/magazin......page=all

And all that, and more, with a GOP that vowed on his first inauguration night that their primary goal was to obstruct everything and to insure that he'd be a one term president.

He will certainly go down in history as one of our better presidents.



You could probably do a "top 50 broken promises" without changing the topic from the ACA. But here's a nice talking point from the very first of the "top 50": "It will cover 32 million uninsured Americans beginning in 2014" How's that working out?


#4 "Ended the War in Iraq." The promise was (how soon we forget) that that would happen in one year. Right after comprehensive immigration reform.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
#5 "Began drawdown of troops from Afghanistan"

"From a peak of 101,000 troops in June 2011..." So he created the 101,000-troop peak then gets credit for reducing HIS maximum. I'm reminded of Kurt Russell in Tequila Sunrise. "I don't plant weeds in my back yard so I can pull them!"

There's always 35% or so who support every president, 35% or so who oppose every president, and 30% or so in the middle - the ones who decide legacies and elections. There are more than enough soundbites for the diehard Obama fans; the approval ratings, however, show what the middle third thinks.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
In the interest of not getting myself banned, I'll refrain from reading #s 6-50. Vegans shouldn't shoot fish in barrels anyway.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Guns don't kill people... (35 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..24~25~26~27~28..32..35..38..41..44~45~46 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL