The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Guns don't kill people... (35 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..13..20..27..34..41..44~45~46 [Next]
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
176 Posts

Profile of R.S.
And in other recent gun news, a "Cops" TV show crew member was accidentally fatally shot by the police...

http://www.omaha.com/news/crime/official......878.html

So even in the hands of the most qualified experts, innocent bystanders can die. So much for the notion held by some that if you arm all the good guys (your average law abiding citizens), then when one of these mass shootings occurs the bad guy can be "neutralized" with no collateral damage. When bullets fly, people die.


Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Quote:
On Aug 27, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:
So who asked you to? Go watch a soccer game or something.

The original poster asked me, when he posted on an open forum. I thought you might understand that. It's fairly basic really. And what has soccer to do with me? It is as alien to Irish culture as handing an uzi to a nine-year-old.

The parents were morons, and the gun instructor was a moron. They share culpability. But the red-necks who insist on your silly gun laws are equally culpabable.

You won't find a nine year old using an uzi in Europe, Canada, Australia, most of Asia... Need I go on?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Aug 28, 2014, TonyB2009 wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 27, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:
So who asked you to? Go watch a soccer game or something.

The original poster asked me, when he posted on an open forum.


Sorry to have missed such an obvious point! So "The rest of the world is getting fed up sympathizing with you over these incidents." Was directed at he original poster, who offered a link without commentary and was apparently, in fact, a Scot. Ok, that makes sense.



Quote:

The parents were morons, and the gun instructor was a moron. They share culpability.

I agree wholeheartedly.


Quote:
But the red-necks who insist on your silly gun laws are equally culpabable.

I disagree wholeheartedly.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Aug 28, 2014, R.S. wrote:
And in other recent gun news, a "Cops" TV show crew member was accidentally fatally shot by the police...

http://www.omaha.com/news/crime/official......878.html

So even in the hands of the most qualified experts, innocent bystanders can die. So much for the notion held by some that if you arm all the good guys (your average law abiding citizens), then when one of these mass shootings occurs the bad guy can be "neutralized" with no collateral damage. When bullets fly, people die.


Ron


I'm not sure anyone (here, at least) has taken that position, but at least that particular straw man has been killed and poses no further threat.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2892 Posts

Profile of lunatik
I definitely believe that people should be able to have firearms, I also believe in people being able to open carry, I also believe that people shoulde be able to own AK-47's, AR-15's with 100 round clips. When I say people, I mean law abiding citizens. As for this 9 yr old shooting an Uzi? That instructor should of had his hand lightly resting on top of the gun to ensure it wouldn't go astray. But IMO, the 9 yr old probably shouldn't have been shooting the gun, as she didn't have the strength to keep it under control. Maybe if she was in her teens and has shown to be proficient? Shooting guns is a lot of people hobby, but it has to be handled responsibly and I do not believe this incident was.
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Quote:
On Aug 28, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:
"The rest of the world is getting fed up sympathizing with you over these incidents." Was directed at he original poster, who offered a link without commentary and was apparently, in fact, a Scot.

No - it was aimed at you, and people like you, who justify the horrific toll of deaths because you still hark back to the days when you were part of the Empire, and trying to get out of it. The world has changed. You don't need the right to carry weapons any more. You have not needed that right in more than a hundred and fifty years (or, if you are one of the oppressed African Americans, fifty years).

The rest of the world does not have these incidents, because we live in the twentieth century. What happened in Ferguson does not happen in Europe. What happened in Omaha this week does not happen in Europe. Nine year-olds don't use Uzi's in Europe.

Be in no doubt; the comment was aimed at you and other apologists for stupidity.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6916 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Aug 28, 2014, TonyB2009 wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 28, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:
"The rest of the world is getting fed up sympathizing with you over these incidents." Was directed at he original poster, who offered a link without commentary and was apparently, in fact, a Scot.

No - it was aimed at you, and people like you, who justify the horrific toll of deaths because you still hark back to the days when you were part of the Empire, and trying to get out of it. The world has changed. You don't need the right to carry weapons any more. You have not needed that right in more than a hundred and fifty years (or, if you are one of the oppressed African Americans, fifty years).

The rest of the world does not have these incidents, because we live in the twentieth century. What happened in Ferguson does not happen in Europe. What happened in Omaha this week does not happen in Europe. Nine year-olds don't use Uzi's in Europe.

Be in no doubt; the comment was aimed at you and other apologists for stupidity.

The rest of the world doesn't have these incidents? Really?
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6916 Posts

Profile of magicfish
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1278 Posts

Profile of imgic
Every time I had to go onto the range while in the service, I was always nervous. And this was with highly trained and dedicated instructors and shooters that are mature and already have some training. I cannot fathom the thought if taking a gun to a gun range, let alone giving them an UZI. While the parents and instructor are complete idiots it's heartbreaking to know the little girl will be the one paying for rest of her life.

It is a bit embarrassing to be an American at times...gun control, capital punishment, and other issues. Unfortunately the culture and system of change prevent any quick actions to be done...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Aug 28, 2014, TonyB2009 wrote:
What happened in Ferguson does not happen in Europe.


Did Mark Duggan tell you that?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 5,278+ posts, only credited with
133 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
TonyB2009 +1

tomsk192 +1

I support your position.
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Say it ain't so! Abandoning the right to carry weapons from the "Live free or die" state?!
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Lobo- It really can't seriously be denied that we have a gun culture in this country unlike any other civilized Western nation.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5138 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
Say it ain't so! Abandoning the right to carry weapons from the "Live free or die" state?!


Makes sense to me. It's not the "Live free and die" state.



Quote:
And they had one rule at their meetings...no religion or politics.


Hey, just like the Magic Café!
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Aug 28, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Lobo- It really can't seriously be denied that we have a gun culture in this country unlike any other civilized Western nation.


I agree. And IMO, it can't seriously be argued that that culture is the sole cause to which the fact that a whopping 3.1 more people per hundred thousand are intentionally killed in the USA than Iceland is attributable, for instance.

What's the line for abhorrently high rates of intentional homicide anyway, btw? Apparently if you're Tony B, it's somewhere between 1.2 per hundred thousand and 4.7 per hundred thousand. Why not 0.3 per hundred thousand? Should we not ask what barbaric cultural mores exist in Ireland that cause their intentional homicide rate to be QUADRUPLE that in Iceland?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
The Irish have shillelaghs, the Icelanders have fish.

But how does the Irish homicide rate compare to the U.S.?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Aug 28, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
The Irish have shillelaghs, the Icelanders have fish.

But how does the Irish homicide rate compare to the U.S.?



It's lower. Why is it 400% what the Icelandic rate is, though?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Like I said, the Irish have shillelaghs.

I lived in Iceland for a year. There was virtually no unemployment and most of the adult male population where I lived (Keflavik) were out on fishing boats most of the day. The Irish may well have more time on their hands.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Guns don't kill people... (35 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..13..20..27..34..41..44~45~46 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL