The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Worked My First Trade Show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
I was booked for what I thought was a strolling magic gig but it turned out to be a trade show. The booth I worked already had the sound and audio set up for me when I arrived (I wasn't expecting a tradeshow and if I knew it was going to be a tradeshow gig, I would have gotten some sort of sound system ahead of time). I actually did a pretty good job of creating crowd and turning them over to the booth and selling the organization to the crowd by incorporating the benefits of the organization into the presentation of my magic tricks. It was really cool and fun to get a crowd gathered around and perform (that was what I loved the most) and I am sure the client really liked seeing a big crowd turn over to their booth.

Talk about having to improvise on the spot. I would target people who were in at least groups of two and draw them in with my little mini magic show which helped to draw even more people in and gather around (because people wanted to see why some people were gathered around my table which was close by the booth I was working which in turn would catch the attention of even more people who woudl also gather around). The customer was happy with the work and I thought I did pretty good for my first go at a tradeshow. It was actually quite a lot of fun. Really enjoyed! I would love to work another tradeshow again.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3181 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Congratulations. Sounds like a great experience. Be sure and get a testimonial from them.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2915 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Congratulations !!!!!
I'm a little confused though. How could you not know what type of venue you would be performing? A tradeshow is a unique gig and does require much different preparation. (as you know) I always get full details of the show and send a confirmation/agreement to the client so we are both on the same page and I know what is expected of me... Regardless.. it sounds like all went well and your client was happy...It could have gone the other way.. Good for you..
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
On Aug 29, 2014, davidpaul$ wrote:
Congratulations !!!!!
I'm a little confused though. How could you not know what type of venue you would be performing? A tradeshow is a unique gig and does require much different preparation. (as you know) I always get full details of the show and send a confirmation/agreement to the client so we are both on the same page and I know what is expected of me... Regardless.. it sounds like all went well and your client was happy...It could have gone the other way.. Good for you..

I agree. I asked ahead of time what my primary purpose would be and they said entertainment. I also sent them a contract before I made the appearance with "strolling close up magic" checked and part of the contract stipulated they were hiring me based on my demo video (and my demo video didn't include anything about a tradeshow magician). I had worked this place before where tradeshows take place, but the last time I was hired at this place was genuinely for entertainment purposes and not a tradeshow.

So, when they told me this time around my purpose would be for entertainment I assumed it was like last time. Except, despite the contract and what the understanding we had before, it turned out that nope, it was a tradeshow gig after all. But fortunately everything turned out good anyway. What can you do in a situation like that when you took all the necessary steps beforehand to get an understanding of the gig and yet, as it turns out, it was not exactly what the client said or what the understanding was. But we also had a contract that spelled out exactly what I was being hired for which was entertainment purposes for strolling magic and the client agreed and signed the contract. Has the client's signature on it.

That being said, I am flexible and work anyway to make sure the client is happy. The customer is the boss and I want to get paid and I am not a stickler for sticking strictly by a signed contract. I just use it as a "C-Y-A" kind of thing but work with the client and am flexible. You want your customer to be happy. I don't think they were intentionally misinforming me either, it's just they themselves didn't seem to understand the true purpose they were hiring me for. They were really looking for a tradeshow magician. I am certainly not going to argue with the customer, so I am just going to do what they tell me to do and "go with the flow." Those with the gold, make the rules.

It wasn't exactly like they were exactly trying very hard to get contact information from prospective clients at the tradeshow, BUT they did want more foot traffic to their booth AND wanted me to sell the organization and inform people about their organization using magic and what activities they had going on at their booth during the tradeshow.

That being said, now you can understand why I use a contract. That way if their is any misunderstanding, the client signature is there on the contract and the contract spells out exactly what I am being hired for. However, I am flexible because people who hire you expect you to be flexible and they are the boss given that they are paying you, so, I am going to accomodate the customer as best I can even if what I am asked to do is not exactly what is spelled out in the contract. I think the client in this case didn't fully understand what they wanted to hire me for. But when they saw I was customizing my magic presentation to sell their organization, gather a crowd and turn it over to their booth, they were like "ohh yeah, this is what we really wanted." You kinda get what I mean?
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
Congratulations. Sounds like a great experience. Be sure and get a testimonial from them.

Thanks, I just sent an email requesting a testimonial and their permission to use it on my website. Thanks for mentioning that and reminding me!

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
ZakKnapper UK
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of ZakKnapper UK
Very well done to you. The fact you could attract crowds says something good about your magic, keep up the good work.

Zak
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
On Aug 30, 2014, ZakKnapper UK wrote:
Very well done to you. The fact you could attract crowds says something good about your magic, keep up the good work.

Zak

Thanks, just got my first testimonial from a trade show emailed to me by the client. Will have it posted on my website in a few days. Glad to have a testimonial from a trade show now.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Worked My First Trade Show (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL