The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Server at dennys/magic for tables (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

daviddoerr
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of daviddoerr
I started my first serving job at Denny's. Yes I said Denny's. I perform for my tables every second I get. I have really have a great time with my guests. I use the same tricks but different for each tables. I'm working on new ideas. Cups and balls but I'm using Denny's mugs and sugar packets for the balls. (and limes for the ending) I still need work on the routine but I'm working out the kinks for only the few that are my regulars. I'm looking for new ideas that I can do. I'm doing the torn and restored sugar packet. Which is basic but works really well. I have done it more then a few thousand times. So I worked out the details on my own. Nothing fancy but it works. Also a lot of coins to shoulder which is really easy when they are sitting down, works really well. I'm looking for new ideas since I'm the only magician around town that actually does magic for guest at a restaurant. I have a small following of course. Which really works on my behave. I have a few dvd's on restaurant magic. I kinda want to come up with new ideas that would be fast and easy. Since I don't have much time a table at times.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Aug 29, 2014, daviddoerr wrote:
Which is basic but works really well. I have done it more then a few thousand times. So I worked out the details on my own. Nothing fancy but it works.

This part of your post speaks volumes.

Whatever brought you to this point, find it and embrace it. You have learned to find the epicenter of a trick and turn that into entertainment.

My suggestion is this... If you find a new trick that has any other magician's name attached to it, keep moving. You will do much better to find something that is spoken with YOUR voice. Look for basic plots of classic tricks. Far too few magicians do that these days. The audience has not become disinterested in such things... only magicians have. You have found ways to convert simple objects into works of art by using them for classic magic effects with crystal clear plots.

You may find here a bevy of suggested tricks that "kill" for restaurant work. But, I hope you will either read, or re-read works such as the Tarbell course. Within those pages, you will find enough magic to last a lifetime. Begin with some that speak to you, because these will be the ones that you can most easily express to others.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
What Michael Baker just said! SCORE!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea I was going to suggest you buy books on technique and come up with your own ideas.

Your situation is sort of specific. Make that an advantage. Don't rely on others. Get great technique and go for it yourself. Take tricks and adopt them.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
ZakKnapper UK
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of ZakKnapper UK
I think technique books are where you should go, the tricks could be anything, give a well known a new method if need be.

Zak
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I want to let you know that I got my start in exactly the way you did. I was a waiter and would do tricks for my tables. Eventually the restaurant manager asked me if I would just do the magic and let the other waiters serve the food. I couldn't believe it.

Michael Baker has hit the nail on the head by advising you to work on basic plots and classic tricks. After many many years of buying the latest thing I find that in my work I actually just use three pieces of rope, a regular deck of cards, a few rubberbands, sponge balls, and coins.

Don't get me wrong, I had a lot of fun playing with the super gimmmicky tricks and showing them to my magic friends but if a trick can't be repeated 10 or 15 times a night with almost no re-set it isn't going into my restaurant work.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Thehedge
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of Thehedge
Agreed! As a magician who happened to work as a server at a busy steak house, I can relate. I always enjoyed the opportunity to entertain the guest at my table when time permitted. Gimmicks are attractive at first, but I think performance without are more pure. Plus, gimmicks can be expensive for someone waiting tables for a living. Serving tables can be a busy job, and you don’t want to pack your pockets or bring valuable items that can be broken, lost, stolen, etc. When performing card magic, I always use a regular deck.

I never wanted to miss an opportunity for a spectator to show me a card trick they know. Interesting things can be learned by watching laypeople perform a trick. Sometimes a subtle gem can be found this way. I was performing once, and a man stopped me and asked that I use his deck instead. Can’t believe he had a deck of cards, but I stopped immediately then continued with his deck for rest of performance. If I had not always performed without gimmicks this may have been difficult.

Questions for Daviddoerr: Do you perform for every table? If so, why? If not, how do you pick? Do you have a process, or just go with your gut?
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
daviddoerr
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of daviddoerr
Questions for Daviddoerr: Do you perform for every table? If so, why? If not, how do you pick? Do you have a process, or just go with your gut?

I don't perform for every table but I get a lot of requests to do them. But most of them yes. I pick them by how they look I guess. If they look angry I don't pick them lol. Most are good for doing magic for them for the first time. I work 3rd shift so I get a lot of drunks and teen kids. My process is basic. Large group of people work the best. I don't ask to show them magic. I just do it. If I ask they could say no or they would try and figure it out even before I start. I use a lot of flash paper and or pull the coin out of there shirt. I normally do not start out with cards. Ether coins or sponge balls.I try and use there items. Rings,coins,bills. 99 percent of people that I do magic for are always open to see a trick. The one percent they are just not into magic. I have not had one person say that they did not want to see anything. I usually don't perform while they are eating. Always before and after. Before is better I think. At least for me.
Thehedge
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of Thehedge
I was just curious. I was limited to performing after the meal because it was always busy and typically there was people waiting for tables.

By the way, good call on the flash paper, grabs peoples attention in a flash (pun intended). I wish I would have used it when I was a server. I also have wondered about converting a server booklet into a fire wallet.

As for your original question in post, I have not heard anyone mention pen tricks. Servers always have pens (except when people take them and leave bad tip in return). Pointless by Gregory Wilson could be altered into a routine that fits your style.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Server at dennys/magic for tables (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL