The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The August 2014 entrée: Jason Palter » » Keeping track of everything to do? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
What do you use for keeping track of multiple levels of to-do as you manage your magic enterprises?

I have a concept for a show. So I have a list of items connected with putting the show itself together. 
That show can use some existing routines, but they need tweaking. Now I have a list for each routine. 
One routine needs a prop resized and refinished. Yet another list. 
To do these shows, I need to upgrade some of my general business practices. One more list. 

And so on .... 
How do *you* track all these to-do lists? 

Ed
Jason Palter
View Profile
V.I.P.
335 Posts

Profile of Jason Palter
Hi Ed_Mills:

That's a great question! In the "old" days, I used a large paper date book, and one of those Bic-type pens that wrote in 4 different colours. Everything was in a different colour in my book so I could keep track of it all. Green for instance was always for gigs....don't ask me why. lol But now I keep most of my stuff organized on whatever electronic calendar I'm using. I started off using one of the first Palm Pilots in the mid and late '90's and whatever desktop application for my computer at the time. For the past 6 years I've been using my iPhone and the iCalendar applications (on my Mac computer) to keep things organized....and believe it or not, events that are gigs still highlighted in green for me! lol So basically I have everything on my computer/iPhone (and backed up on other drives, of course!) and mostly in the Calendar application for schedules, TO-DOs, etc. If I have a concept for a show or am working on a specific event for a client, I may make a folder on my computer for that and put all the things into it (photos, invoices, correspondence, etc.).

In the case of routines, new product ideas, and such, I have separate folders on my computer where I write and then store new routines, all the assets for the new tricks, etc.

I'm fairly organized and I prefer to type than write. That way also I can keep everything very searchable, and backed up.

Sometimes I would like to have an all-in program that will do this, but so far haven't found one.

So fellow magicians, what do you use? Do you have any other thoughts?

Best regards,

Jason
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
Hesperia, California USA
1904 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
I have 3 folders on my computer. Secrets (where all my secrets (scanned into PDFs) and Inventory spreadsheets are kept, Routines (where tricks are assembled and set to music or patter), and Acts (where the routines are assembled into various acts. Ideas of routines being developed are kept in a note keeping program. I'm still evaluating these as they are all pretty good, but each has strengths and weaknesses. Hopefully, I'll come to some sort of conclusion in the very near future.

And many of my ideas come to my head and I can't write or type fast enough, so I have a dictation program that will take my spoken ideas and put them in my word processor without a problem. This is especially helpful when developing patter, as that usually (for me) comes about while working on the routine or performing it. However, sometimes I just jot down a note someplace and move it over to the software later (hopefully, it won't get lost before that happens).
Jason Palter
View Profile
V.I.P.
335 Posts

Profile of Jason Palter
Hi Steven:

Having that dictation program is a great idea! I sometimes will just use the "Voice Memos" app on my iPhone if I'm out and about, as it will allow me to record an idea or thought very quickly. But you're right also that sometimes I also just jot a note down on something.....and like you I hope it never gets lost before I have a chance to input it into the computer or something! lol

Best regards,

Jason
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Right now I'm trying out a to-do list app on my Android phone called ToDoist. The free version allows various levels of subtasks. The premium version is a $30/year subscription but adds quite a bit. (Probably more than other things I've dumped $30 on!)

Ed
Jason Palter
View Profile
V.I.P.
335 Posts

Profile of Jason Palter
Hi Ed_Millis:

That sounds like a cool app. Let us know how it goes as you continue to test it!

Best regards,

Jason
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The August 2014 entrée: Jason Palter » » Keeping track of everything to do? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL