We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Quote by a magician... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

melvinsoto
View Profile
New user
Puerto Rico
16 Posts

Profile of melvinsoto
I saw this Section is called "The Good, the bad and the Garbage" and I remembered a quote an old magician friend told me. "There are no bad tricks, there are just bad magicians." ~H. Tua. Do you guys agree? I kind of agree but not completely, since there are some tricks that are just Bad!
Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1033 Posts

Profile of Ado
I certainly disagree, and some famous magicians have published some remarkably bad tricks (though fame certainly does not imply quality).

Here's a trick I just made up. Take a deck, have a card chosen. Take the card back in one hand, having the deck in the other hand. bring both hands to your back, put the card face up in the deck. Bring the deck back. Say a magic pass. Show how the card is now reversed. That trick sucks. You should not even try to attempt it, even if you're Bill Copperfield, David Ammar or Michael Malone.

Things that make a trick bad include:
- actions have no justification (put card openly in deck, then spread deck to show it's there)
- actions that have no cover, or have a bad cover (I recently saw a trick that relies on a top change done where I look...)
- sequences where the handling of a single action changes many times (like ghost count, then hamman, then whatever regular count that looks like neither)
- lack of proper misdirection,
- weird card/deck grip
- effects that have no cleanup (eg, you end with 5 cards face up at random places in the deck)
- situation where the audience has to remember things and cannot double check later (like dealing cards face down early in the tricks, and not using them before a while, and yet not being able to show the faces because a switch happened earlier)
etc.
- assumption that cards appear in a certain order in a shuffled deck (eg, for culling)
- bad choice of sleights (eg, an ACR with only a convincing control followed by a 1-card spread pass).

You may be a famous magician. You may be a great cardician. You may somehow make some people be genuinely amazed when you do the trick, it's still a bad trick. It may be just 10% bad. But if you get called out on these 10%, you're screwed. If you need outs for a trick, maybe that trick isn't as good as you thought.

P!
melvinsoto
View Profile
New user
Puerto Rico
16 Posts

Profile of melvinsoto
I definitely agree with you P! I believe maybe if you do the presentation right some of the tricks might pass, but not all of them!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Quote by a magician... (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL