The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Gene Matsuura's Winston Freer book? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

colin72
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of colin72
Hi

At the 2012 EMC conference, Gene Matsuura gave a very interesting lecture on Winston Freer. He said he was writing a book on Freer. Does anyone know if it's still happening and when? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Colin
ralphgironda
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of ralphgironda
Any news on this?
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I had a free minute and wss surfing...just found this thread...

I have a copy of "Compiled Magic of Doc' Maxam" ("Impressario of the Impossible") Vol. 1. (Doc Maxam was Winston Freer.)

It was printed in 1954. I bought one. It's full of clever off beat ideas. For me, especially at my age, then (22) his articles, in the booklet, "HOW TO MAKE THE MOST OF YOUR MAGIC". Part 1, & Part 2 were real "eye openers" --and thought provokers! They influenced my development to a tremendous degree.

Some time later, "digging" through a bunch of old GENIIs, I found Part 1 in an OCTOBER 1941 issue. (Part 2 may have been printed in GENII, also. I didn't have that issue.

I can't check old GENIIs, because I canceled my subscription. Old pro. John Todtman had offered to pay for a trophy for the "School magician of the year", after the awards at an annual bsnquet in Hollywood. Bill Larsen Jr. responded: "No. We don't consider those guys to be magicians." Bill's wife, Irene, had worked schools with John Daniels!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I had a free minute and was surfing...just found this thread...

I have a copy of "Compiled Magic of Doc' Maxam" ("Impressario of the Impossible") Vol. 1. (Doc Maxam was Winston Freer.)

It was printed in 1954. I bought one. It's full of clever off beat ideas. For me, especially at my age, then (22) his articles, in the booklet, "HOW TO MAKE THE MOST OF YOUR MAGIC". Part 1, & Part 2 were real "eye openers" --and thought provokers! They influenced my development to a tremendous degree.

Some time later, "digging" through a bunch of old GENIIs, I found Part 1 in an OCTOBER 1941 issue. (Part 2 may have been printed in GENII, also. I didn't have that issue.

I can't check old GENIIs, because I canceled my subscription. Old pro. John Todtman had offered to pay for a trophy for the "School magician of the year", after the awards at an annual banquet in Hollywood. Bill Larsen Jr. responded: "No. We don't consider those guys to be magicians." Bill's wife, Irene, had worked schools with John Daniels!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Heqq! I was editing that, and, you got the pre edit, and edited version!
Nem
View Profile
New user
Florida
59 Posts

Profile of Nem
Still hoping for Gene's book on Freer.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Gene Matsuura's Winston Freer book? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL