The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Examining Linking Rings (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
David Fillary
View Profile
Special user
662 Posts

Profile of David Fillary
There are some people who I would never perform the rings up close for though. Some of the teens in the school I work want to check my coins "because they're not real" and so must be the source of the impossible. If only there truly was a gimmicked coin that could become "20x larger!" I've had one kid want to hold the stuff because he did believe it was magic and wanted to feel the magic!
I wouldn't do the rings to someone who behaved like this at the start - I save it for the small groups who are just eating up the magic and want to be amazed Smile
However, lots of people open street shows with them, so I guess it depends on the setting.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
I perform with 2 rings, but always bring 3 rings with me in the cloth bag that I carry them in. I take out 2 rings, and during my routine I have people handle the rings as part of my routine. ("handle the rings... I never hand out the k** ring but I confuse people so anyone watching casually is under the impression that I hand out both"). If someone asks to see the rings at the ned I tell them no or otherwise hee-haw around it and start to put them away... but then in one move I swap the k** ring for the 3rd ring in the bag and just say "ok you can look at them" and in the same move I put the bag out of site casually as I bring on whatever my next trick is (cards if I'm strolling, who know's what if it's a platform show. )

Since the focus is on the shiny rings and not the bag... it always works. I've never once been asked about the bag, or if there are multiple rings.
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
I do the rings at the only gig I have. It is a walk around gig, and I use my own version of the messado rings. During the routine it looks like all the rings have been examined (even though they haven't.) I have never had someone ask to look at the rings.
Reality is a real killjoy.
seanksutton
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of seanksutton
Does anyone know where I can get my hands on some Black Messado rings? It seems they are out of stock everywhere I look. And, if anyone is wiling to sell them to me, I would be EXTREMELY grateful. Just PM me if you are willing to sell them.

Thanks!

Sean.
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
I don't know anywhere except ellusionist, but they are not necessary. I use a set from empire magic that is about the same size. Have you read the reviews on ellusionist? They don't seem to be the best quality like they are marketed as.
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Why don't you ask messado himself?
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Take them to a powder coat outfit
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Sep 12, 2014, David Fillary wrote:
There are some people who I would never perform the rings up close for though. Some of the teens in the school I work want to check my coins "because they're not real" and so must be the source of the impossible. If only there truly was a gimmicked coin that could become "20x larger!" I've had one kid want to hold the stuff because he did believe it was magic and wanted to feel the magic!
I wouldn't do the rings to someone who behaved like this at the start - I save it for the small groups who are just eating up the magic and want to be amazed Smile
However, lots of people open street shows with them, so I guess it depends on the setting.

Yes! The rings are good for opening, and "grabbing" a tip. They are big, noisy, the effect is visual, and the effect(and prop) ix definitely visible. No table is needed, They are "recognizable" (i.e. not a "change bag" of similar "magician's prop). The rings are angle proof, the effect is versatile (any age audience) they pack relatively small and light, and play big. The set up, if any, is minimal, and the effect is spot adaptable. --So, many buskers open with them. When I was mentoring a young guy in San Francisco, about 35 years ago, I recommended the rings--as he had a routine that he KNEW, and he could hand them to people to hold (and therefore,"examine"). --This helped to "nail" the early arrivers. Once they're holding the props, they're less likely to walk
away. I also like them as a tip grabber" because one can "stretch" the routine as needed to build the tip.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
Paul Daniel's routine does a good job of making the rings look examined.
kris attard
View Profile
Elite user
Malta
437 Posts

Profile of kris attard
7hexagon, I performed LR for many years and never really had people ask to examine them. Nowadays I don't perform, so cant say whether in this day and age of blatant internet exposure, this is more likely to happen or not, though I imagine so. However right from the start when I was just 15, a criteria for the LR for me had been that the audience should leave with the impression that all the rings were examined.

So after researching several available routines and deciding which linking and unlinking moves and flourishes I wanted, I put together my own routine which included these moves. But the routine was also structured at giving the audience the distinct impression that they have handled and examined in the own hands every single one of the 8 rings, whether in a separate or linked state. This was in fact an important part of the patter presentation. The crux was a switching move at the right moment, under simple but powerful misdirection while moving my spectators on stage. In decades of performing LR, this has held me well and it fooled even people in the know, including teenagers who had already loudly declared the method to everyone as soon as I brought out the rings, because they had a magic set. On that occasion I had calmly countered by smiling and saying "yes there is that simple method you mentioned which is used in magic sets, however there is also THE OTHER and real secret method, which is known only to very few magicians!" I then told them they could tell the difference because you can examine every single ring which of course you cant do with the magic set method. I had even gone as if to hand out the rings, but as an afterthought said "Actually let's examine them one by one as we go along, otherwise it will take you all an hour just to check the rings, and the show will be over already!". By the end they were floored since they realized they had examined all the rings.

I think that the creative use of subtle methods that will fool even those who know of the method, is one way that magicians can overcome the rampant internet exposure. That is, use the same method but in such a way that in the minds of the viewer it negates the possibility of that method having been used!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Examining Linking Rings (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL