The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The August 2014 entrée: Jason Palter » » Practice and perform, or carve out more study time? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
2978 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Jason -

Assuming limited time for the dedicated hobbyist, would you recommend that the time would be better spent practicing and performing a set act for as many audiences as possible, really trying to drill down on improvements based on actual experience, successes and failures, or doing a bit less of that and spending more time studying and expanding your awareness of the great ideas in magic? Ideally one would have time for both, but with family and career, it may not be so. Where would you suggest that the energy be focused?

- Scott
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Jason Palter
View Profile
V.I.P.
335 Posts

Profile of Jason Palter
Hi MaxfieldsMagic:

Thank you for that question. I think the answer really depends on who you ask. I know some of my fellow performers are very interested in (for example) the history of magic. So what they do is read a lot, study a lot, and get to know as much as they can about it. I also know others that prefer to (as you wrote) perform as often as possible, etc. You are correct, it would be great if there were enough hours in the day to do everything....but I don't think that is possible. As the comedian Steven Wright said: "You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" lol

My interest first and foremost is performing, so my personal suggestion is that you do more of that, and hone those skills. You simply cannot beat the experience of performing in front of live crowds.

However it really is a personal choice, and you have to ask yourself what is it that interests you the most, and what is it that you really want to do. If you want to improve your knowledge of magic, its history, and other ideas, then by all means work on studying that. If on the other hand you want to improve your experience in front of a crowd, then you may find benefit in doing shows for as many sets of audiences as possible (video the shows, review them), etc.....Of course if you're on the fence and can't decide which to do, then I would suggest perhaps compromising and doing a bit of both.

Does that sort of make sense, or was it too vague? Please let me know, and I will be happy to expand on something if you'd like. Thanks!

Best regards,

Jason
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The August 2014 entrée: Jason Palter » » Practice and perform, or carve out more study time? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL