The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » [Request] French kiss by wayne houchin (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Aeltham
View Profile
New user
France
7 Posts

Profile of Aeltham
Hi everyone ! I'm sure you are all aware of the latest release on theory11: "French kiss" wayne houchin. Originially part of his "art of magic" dvd (I believe) a while ago, the spectator sings a card, then you fold and have him/her bite down on it. You do the same thing with a card that you sign, and then inexplicably, the two cards switch. I always loved this effect and the "invasion of personnal space" dimmention that it does. It realy is fun to perform. And recently, wayne release a revisited version of this trick, on theory11, including a version that doesn't involve cards.

So I was wondering: is there anyone here who actually bought it ? I would love to get a review to help me decide if I'm willing to spend the money on it. My biggest fear is that I'd buy it and get the secret of the card version which I already know, and then the secret of a less effective notepad version that I wouldn't use, practicly getting nothing out of the download. What do you guys think ? Do you think it's worth it to buy it if you already know the old version of the trick ? Are there many new handelings, methods and presentations on this download ? Looking foward to your thoughts.
otreboR
View Profile
Veteran user
The Netherlands
398 Posts

Profile of otreboR
I haven't seen this new download and don't know if it's easy to do it with a notepad.
I do this trick with my businesscards, because I don't like my cards being signed and do the set up every time I want to perform the trick.
With the businesscards you are always ready to go.
paul caillau
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of paul caillau
Hi,
I'm also considering it as WH is someone I like to support. I know the main effect with card as it was in his Art Of Magic release but don't really know how the pad variation will look like. Still anybody got this?
otreBor is right, great magic with business cards as you don't really have to set up anything.
colin72
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of colin72
Quote:
On Sep 3, 2014, Aeltham wrote:

So I was wondering: is there anyone here who actually bought it ? I would love to get a review to help me decide if I'm willing to spend the money on it. My biggest fear is that I'd buy it and get the secret of the card version which I already know, and then the secret of a less effective notepad version that I wouldn't use, practicly getting nothing out of the download. What do you guys think ? Do you think it's worth it to buy it if you already know the old version of the trick ? Are there many new handelings, methods and presentations on this download ? Looking foward to your thoughts.

I liked it and thought the note pad version was great. I wouldn't consider the notepad version less effective at all. In fact, I would prefer it to the card version. I'm sure you have plenty of effects with cards. The note pad version is the same effect but you get to put down the cards and change things up.

The note pad version is not difficult to do. It doesn't require any weird or tough moves. I would suggest it if you like the effect but want to get away from cards.
sgtgrey
View Profile
Special user
Austin, TX
839 Posts

Profile of sgtgrey
I ditto everything colin72 says about the notepad version - I found it well worth picking up for this version, and I will probably be performing French Kiss in this manner in the future. The preparation is minimal - similar to business cards in that you only have to prep for one second - and you get to put down the cards and change up the presentation a little bit. I would recommend checking it out if you like the original.
Aeltham
View Profile
New user
France
7 Posts

Profile of Aeltham
Okay, so I bought french kiss, and here are my thoughts on it. First of all, the quality is perfect, nothing to say about that. Perfect sound, image, lighting, clear instructions ect...

For when it comes to the actual effect, if you don't know about the method of french kiss, you can stop reading right now and go buy it. 100% Worth it, one of my favourites effects ever, and more importantly, a ton of fun to perform, to the point where you almost get to feel the magic, which is realy rare in my modest opinion.

However, if you know the secret already, like it was my case, think twice before buying this. The notepad version is great, I don't know if it's worth the price of the full Download, but it is definatly something you will perform, and not something you will just "like but... Naaah I think I'll stick to my usual ambitious card". Both version have their advantages, and if you know for a fact that even if a notepad version is cool, you won't perform it cause you don't feel like carrying a notepad or whatever reason you might have, then it's probably not worth the buy. The card version didn't change a bit in 10 years, which is not bad, cause it was already one of the craziest tricks ever back in the day, but if you expect new handlings or presentations ideas.... Nope. Actually, he doesn't even mention the leg turnover in the video, which is a perfect sleight for this trick in my opinion... They are a few valuable tips on presentation, but nothing too worth the buy. He will teach you about not going too far so the effect doesn't turn creepy, but nothing too new about that neither.

In conclusion, if you already know and love this trick, the new version won't change your world. It will practicly not change anything. Exept if you wanna step away from the cards and do the notepad version, which is perfectly fine. The effect is great, and if you don't know it, get it, but if you already perform it, you might wanna forget about this, eventhought I know it's hard because you probably love it and which to know everything there is to know about this effect.
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Blimey ,after reading your post not sure if it's good or bad?,lol,
xavier23
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of xavier23
MIsfeelings about the effect...
Very old principle which, in some advertising of the effect wrongly attributed to Wayne (?!)
The presentation is probably the most interesting I have seen for this effect, and the misdirection for the DLs greatly improved.
Still, I question myself if this adaptation is enough to launch a full DVD and claim it as a new effect.
Also, the notepad variant, interesting, but it feels ridiculous to include a small plain notepad just to "enhance" the pack.
In summary, nice revamp of the effect. But exaggerated commercialization…
ummer21
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of ummer21
Just wondering. Is it the same as SWAK. Sealed with a kiss? You might have seen it on YouTube disturbed reality
makulit974
View Profile
Loyal user
259 Posts

Profile of makulit974
Hi,
I just saw the video and I don't really see what is new about this release apart from the presentation.
All you need is a D....e card and do a couple of DL and that's it. Or am I missing something?

$20 seem a lot for such an old principle.
If I am wrong, please let me know.

Patrick
ummer21
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of ummer21
Exacly as I was thinking makulit974. SWAK. I have done this before. Great effect, but why is it on the market as a new effect?
vincentmusician
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
266 Posts

Profile of vincentmusician
Yes. It is an old principle. However, the presentation is a really good idea. How much a good idea is worth is up to you.
I think this is one of the best card effects in Magic. It can also be taken in different directions and you can change up the presentation very easily. For me, I like Magic that is easy but strong and lots of fun to perform. French Kiss ticks all the boxes! Cheers!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » [Request] French kiss by wayne houchin (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL