The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Movies Get It Wrong! (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
I'm not sure if this classifies as "getting it wrong", but I've noticed that in movies from the '30's and 40's, when people get into their cars, they get in on the passenger side and slide over to the driver side.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On Sep 7, 2014, NicholasD wrote:
I'm not sure if this classifies as "getting it wrong", but I've noticed that in movies from the '30's and 40's, when people get into their cars, they get in on the passenger side and slide over to the driver side.

I don't think that's a mistake. I remember my grandparents getting into their car that way when they were parked on the street. I think it was considered safer to get in from the sidewalk side rather than the driver's side.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On Sep 7, 2014, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 7, 2014, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 6, 2014, R.S. wrote:
Audible explosions in space.

Ron

This may well be people's expectations. I remember the first couple of episodes of "Star Trek," the ship shoots by without making a noise. Roddenberry decided it was "dead" and added a "woosh" sound even though that would never happen in real life.

In which case, everything else could also be deemed to be done because of "people's expectations". Smile

Well, yeah. We already have real lives. The stylized world of film gives us access to another, more interesting one for a couple of hours. If film follows conventions we're prepared to accept, we enter the world. If not, we're out.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16362 Posts

Profile of tommy
Inconvenient Truth
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2826 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Sep 6, 2014, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 6, 2014, ed rhodes wrote:
So, I'm watching "The Great Race," a terrific comedy with Tony Curtis, Natalie Wood, Jack Lemmon and Peter Falk.

At a key moment, while they're stopped for a blizzard, Leslie (Curtis) suggests he and Maggie (Wood) share a blanket to conserve warmth (it was Natalie Wood, who wouldn't?) He then pops open a champagne and explains to Maggie; "One puts alcohol into the autoMObile (that's not a typo, Curtis decided that was how Leslie would say "automobile" throughout the entire picture) to keep it from freezing." Then Professor Fate (Lemmon) and his minion Max (Falk) fall through the roof and have to share the blanket and champagne.

I've seen this before in movies and tv where the characters seem to think drinking alcohol will keep them warm in a freezing environment. In fact (and if I'm wrong, please correct me) alcohol tricks the body into THINKING it's warmer so it starts flushing out the "excess" heat.

Can anyone else out there think of something they've seen in movies and television given as a "fact" that's clearly wrong? No "one-shots" please, something that's been used in several cases.

The movie's character gets it wrong here, not the movie itself.

Many people believe this "alcohol" fact which is wrong. Smile

I'm not certain I understand you. The Great Leslie doesn't exist outside of "The Great Race," anything he says is part of the movie. He isn't corrected by anyone in the film (and trust me, Prof. Fate would have loved to pull something out that Leslie didn't know) so we have to go with the movie in general got it wrong.
"All the world's a stage, but the play is badly cast!" - Oscar Wilde
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2826 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Sep 7, 2014, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 7, 2014, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 6, 2014, R.S. wrote:
Audible explosions in space.

Ron

This may well be people's expectations. I remember the first couple of episodes of "Star Trek," the ship shoots by without making a noise. Roddenberry decided it was "dead" and added a "woosh" sound even though that would never happen in real life.

In which case, everything else could also be deemed to be done because of "people's expectations". Smile

That's a point. But while we know there wouldn't be sound in outer space, the mind thinks the scene it dead without them. The alcohol thing is just an error. And a dangerous one.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2826 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Sep 7, 2014, stempleton wrote:
Sqealing tires on dirt roads. Man, that gets me.

Ooooh, oooh, they do that one too! When Maggie first goes to Leslie to ask if she can accompany him and cover the race as a reporter, Leslie is test driving the "Leslie Special" on the beach. As he pulls up to the tent, the tire do in fact squeal as if he were on a road.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Dr. Phillip Plait, is the self proclaimed "Bad Astronomer." I had the honer of hearing him speak live some years ago. If you go to his web site, badastronomy.com, he critiques the good and the bad points about science and science based movies. His science is quite good and he is right on.

BTW do NOT drink alcohol in a dangerous cold situation. If will ultimately make your body core colder, and if you drink enough to get drunk, or worse pass out, you may not be able to take the action you need to avoid a death by freezing.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2826 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I'm not talking about individual errors. I'm talking more about across the board errors that show up any time the element appears in a film. (i.e., if people are in the cold, someone will suggest booze, and, tire squealing on sand.) There are SF films where they get the "no sound in space" thing right. "2001" is one of them, mostly it's something that's allowed to slip by in the case of "sci-fi" stories where the action is more important that the scientific accuracy.

One that ticks my wife off is when someone is reading the fortune on Tarot cards and she (and it's usually a woman) flips over the Death card and gasps in shock.

First off, you don't read Tarot cards that way, you have to lay them down in a pattern. Secondly, "Death" doesn't mean actual death. It usually means stagnation and lack of progress.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Death is the ultimate stagnation and lack of progress. Actually, I always read the card as meaning a sudden change. Upside down I read it as stagnation.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2985 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Quote:
On Sep 6, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Speaking of westerns and gunfights. I've never seen a western where gunshots sound like gunshots. A gunshot is more like a staccato bark or loud pop than the lengthened sound that Foley editors add to it.

That's a good one. Back in basic training, first day at the rifle range, I expected it to sound like a war movie. Smile Not even close. Even in automatic mode, the M16 sounded like pops.

And even the M60 didn't sound anywhere near like in the movies. It was loud, but sounded more like some kind of a mechanical hammer. I always chuckle when I see Arnold or somebody else John-Wayne it from the hip.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Movies Get It Wrong! (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL