The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What is the good of philosophizing? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27241 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Sep 7, 2014, tommy wrote:
That is the question.

which question?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3606 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Notorious drunks, sods, beasts and scoundrels!

If you don't believe me, ask StoneUnhinged! He will tell you the truth! He can't lie. He is a philosopher...
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5731 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
It's fun... Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Sep 9, 2014, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 9, 2014, 0pus wrote:
Are you the guy who thinks that education's only purpose is job training?

No that is not me.

I am the guy that believes that after college one should be prepared to go out in the world and use the education they received and do the best they can to make a good life for themselves and their family. I would assume that is the premise of getting a college education.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eiRGRvE_Wqg
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
Quote:

No that is not me.

I am the guy that believes that after college one should be prepared to go out in the world and use the education they received and do the best they can to make a good life for themselves and their family. I would assume that is the premise of getting a college education.

In other words, you think the only purpose of education is job training. What ever happened to seeking knowledge of knowledge's sake? Do you see no value or purpose in that?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I think it's fine, as long as you don't push the government to force your boss to pay you $15/hour to flip burgers.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On Sep 10, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:
I think it's fine, as long as you don't push the government to force your boss to pay you $15/hour to flip burgers.

Why not?
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5154 Posts

Profile of landmark
Because of the absolute Constitutional Right to starve.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Sep 10, 2014, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:

Why not?

Because it's not his obligation to subsidize your choice to pursue an economically disadvantageous line of study.

LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Sep 10, 2014, landmark wrote:

Maybe the government could force one's parents to provide room and board until age 70 instead of 18. That would seem to serve.

Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
On Sep 10, 2014, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:

Why not?

Because it's not his obligation to subsidize your choice to pursue an economically disadvantageous line of study.

Should the government force your boss to do anything?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Probably so.

Should the government be able to force your boss to pay $100/hour for unskilled labor?

Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Quote:
Probably so.

Should the government be able to force your boss to pay $100/hour for unskilled labor?

Able? Of course. Would it be a prudent course of action in today's economy? I don't think so. But what do I know?
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5154 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
Quote:

Maybe the government could force one's parents to provide room and board until age 70 instead of 18. That would seem to serve.

Society can be organized in many different ways. A way that guarantees that many will barely survive despite working 40 hours a week is a morally bankrupt one.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
+1
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Society can be organized in many different ways. A way that guarantees that many will barely survive despite working 40 hours a week is a morally bankrupt one.

1) I agree, and I'm glad we don't live in a society like that.

2) A society that takes it upon itself to protect people from all of their choices is going to be a financially bankrupt one.

acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On Sep 10, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

No that is not me.

In other words, you think the only purpose of education is job training. What ever happened to seeking knowledge of knowledge's sake? Do you see no value or purpose in that?

Absoutely none if you can afford it. It is a wonderful idea. But to seek knowledge at the cost of neglect of ones family is not only unjust it is selfish and self centered and a person has to be non caring almost a Sociopath.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
Quote:

Well the government sure is trying to up the parents time of taking care of slacker xbox children...they already adjusted health care coverage CHILDREN to 26. Kind of takes away the responsibility of the kids because they live at home and have not yet grown up and accepted responsibility. Of course I am sure you can come up with some good reasons that you believe this is good. So why not make it 30 or 40 and make it even better? Keep them in the entitlement zone.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16362 Posts

Profile of tommy
I rest my case.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
6425 Posts

Profile of RNK
+2 Entitlement is way of America now.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What is the good of philosophizing? (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL