The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Cards as Weapons (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

trulymagic
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of trulymagic
Im looking for a book called Cards as Weapons. it is a book on card shooting but I don't kno wwho it is buy. If you know of any other material that teaches card shooting please let me know
Smile
jkvand
View Profile
Special user
Johnstown, PA
658 Posts

Profile of jkvand
It's a book by Ricky Jay, and it typically sells for around $200 on ebay. Good luck finding a copy - they're out there every now and then, but they are expensive!
shahin
View Profile
New user
Germany
89 Posts

Profile of shahin
You want to check out Rick Smith Jr. new DVD "The Art of Card Throwing". With this material you certainly will learn how to shoot cards, garanteed!

Shahin
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
This is one of those books that has attained "cult" status. I had it for a while, and thought it was no big deal. He's taken a simple page or two on card scaling and wrapped it up in some comedic writing to "pad" it into a full blown book.

If you're really interested in learning to throw cards, there are better places to find that information. If you want to see what all the "fuss" is about, don't let me stop you. The occasional topless card model, and the "history" of the throw makes this book much more interesting. It even chronicles the first recorded use of a playing card as a weapon, accompanied by a photo of a Viking with a card imbedded in his head! Ricky's dry humor abounds and even if he didn't teach anything at all (he actually teaches very little), it's still a fun book.

Just keep your eyes open. I found a paperback edition of it in Wal-Mart about a year ago.

[Correction, it just occurred to me that it was "Learned Pigs and Fireproof Women" that I saw in paperback, not "Cards as Weapons." Sorry for any confusion]

And of course it shows up from time to time on eBay at outrageous prices. H&R Magic Books is the one I sold my copy to. I'd check with them. If I recall, you can even get on a "list" in case it shows up in their store.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Iain Moran
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
691 Posts

Profile of Iain Moran
I have a copy for sale in case anyone is interested.

Iain.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Well...cards as weapons worked for Gambit.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
owen.daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1048 Posts

Profile of owen.daniel
Hi,
I know the book, and I saw on http://www.amazon.co.uk that they still have copies for sale! I don't know whether they still do but seemed to last month selling for around £190.
Hope this helps,
Owen
Craig Krisulevicz
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
647 Posts

Profile of Craig Krisulevicz
This book is no big deal at all. Save you cash, and just buy a copy of Ricky Smith's DVD.
Who is John Galt?
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Will_Tingle
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of Will_Tingle
Not that I would condone such a thing, but PDF copies are ofen fund of file sharing / bit-torrent scources if you know where to look...
--
"Pray, n:. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a
single petitioner confessedly unworthy."
- Ambrose Bierce
MesmerEyes
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
63 Posts

Profile of MesmerEyes
I had the book as a teenager in the 70's. It was an interesting and irreverent read, but it really didn't teach me how to throw cards. The picture that he used to show the throwing position was of interest (especially to a teenage male) but as for adding this to any type of performance from the descriptions, not likely.
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2189 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
It taught me how to throw cards. There was a point where I was throwing cards 90 feet easily, if not a bit more. It's a good book, not neccesarily worth the 200 or so you might spend on ebay. Sometimes I've seen them go on ebay for less than 100, you just have to look often. Good luck.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1513 Posts

Profile of Rennie
I have the book in my collection only because if it's value. The book is highly overrated and cannot understand why it sells for as much as it does.
Rennie
P.S. - Make me an offer I cannot refuse and it is your's
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Fayaad Manie
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of Fayaad Manie
Definately overrated. Spend your money on something that will be of much more value to you.
tylerdurden
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of tylerdurden
I saw a copy of this book recently at the local magic shop, and after seeing what's inside I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would spend so much time and energy, not to mention money in pursuit of this book.

it's cool for what it is I guess. But I'm not really into all the history, and comedy. I just wanted to learn a few ways to spice up my card routine.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Cards as Weapons (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL