We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Daryls Fooler Doolers Vol.1 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

bg
View Profile
Veteran user
Indy
313 Posts

Profile of bg
I want to get this DVD for his color changing knives routine but would like to get some info/review before I buy.

How many effects? Good to learn from(I don't own any of Daryls stuff)? Is it worth 35 bucks?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Brian
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2732 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Brian:

I have the whole Fooler Dooler series and they're all excellent. I don't have the DVD in front of me now, but there must be about a dozen effects/routines explained.

Daryl is just about the best magic teacher I've seen. He thinks things through and teaches his idea very clearly. He's a lot of fun to watch too...he seems to love what he's doing.

So, yes the DVD is worth 35 bucks. You might be able to find it on sale somewhere, but even at full price, it's worth it. The Fooler Dooler series is my favorite video series.

Ron
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
The entire series is excellent. real commercial routines.

Check Ebay-they always have them there for a great deal!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Brian, Don’t hesitate! I have all 3 volumes and they are all worth way more than the asking price. 35.00 bucks is chump change for volume 1, besides the color changing knives you get 11 other effects.

If you wind up using but 3 out of the 12 on the DVD that’s only $11.67 an effect. Not to mention you get to watch Daryl in action, wait till you see him do the knives he is so smooth with them…
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
espalding
View Profile
New user
St. Louis
59 Posts

Profile of espalding
As a beginner, I rank the Fooler Dooler DVD's among the best. The tricks are great, and most are within the grasp of a relative beginner. The best part is you get to see Daryl's interraction with the audience. I really enjoy just watching the performances.

My one (very minor) complaint is that several of the tricks require material that is not readily available at home. (The color changing knives being one.) This seemed more of an issue with Vol 3, but again, it's a minor complaint.

Eric.
bg
View Profile
Veteran user
Indy
313 Posts

Profile of bg
Does his knife routine use 2 knives? I hope so because I own the 2 knife set and need a good routine for them.
espalding
View Profile
New user
St. Louis
59 Posts

Profile of espalding
Bg,

Yes, the knife routine on volume 1 of Fooler Doolers uses two knives. He actually uses "his own" set, they carry his name. YOu can find them at foolerdoolers.com, but I think almost any set would work pretty well.

Eric.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2732 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Brian:

Concerning the knives, Daryl's routine uses a half and half knife. This is a special knife that is both colors on one side. If you have the standard knife set, you won't be able to do his routine.

Eric already mentioned you can get them from Daryl. However, I did not like his knives - they were too flat which made it hard for me to handle. Other people like them though. As an alternative, you can get the Mogar "Perfect" knife set from Hocus-Pocus which I found much easier to handle.

Ron
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17060 Posts

Profile of joseph
Get all 3.....These are among the best I have seen.....Daryl is a great teacher, and there is nothing in all three videos you will have trouble with.... Smile
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5342 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I agree with the other posters here, if you can afford them get the entire set! However, I suspect that you cannot afford the cash outlay for the entire set right now and really want to know about the value of volume 1.

Volume one has 12 different tricks on it. There are a couple (2) of card tricks (blended together and technically easy to perform), a couple of rope tricks (three actually), and several classic routines (torn and restored napkin, Matrix like effect,etc).

Daryl teaches you a very nice, short and highly useable sponge ball routine. The sponge ball routine is well thought out and has the requisite surprises that make this kind of trick an audience pleaser. It has to be one of the technically easier routines out there without shorting the magic.

Daryl also teaches you good one-cup, cup and ball routine. It can play as an impromptu routine or you can make it more formal (use the knitted balls and one of your nice cups). Again, it is short, sweet, technically easy to perform, and magical. It ends with the traditional larger final load (two final loads for a double punch).

He will also teaches a version of the Silent Mora traveling marbles routine (a Matrix like routine). NO you don’t have to use marbles, he uses sugar cubes. Daryl shows you the routine and suggests several different objects to use (this is really an almost unlimited selection!).

Then there is Daryl’s Color Changing Knife routine. I like this knife routine very much. Let me say that if you have an inexpensive color changing knife set and a steady hand that you can turn it into a Darylesque set. I took a black/white color changing knife set (Enardoe) and a bottle of black fingernail polish and made the half-color knife that is needed in the set. I also made the fingerprint (black polish and a spot of white to make a gray). Took me about 10 minutes.

I think that you could build a very nice, visually interesting, and magical close-up act with just the stuff on this one DVD.

Go for it!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
bg
View Profile
Veteran user
Indy
313 Posts

Profile of bg
Thanks for the responses! I think it's what I'm looking for. And thanks Harry for the tip with the knives!

Brian
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Daryls Fooler Doolers Vol.1 (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL