The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (22 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..15..27..39..51..60~61~62~63 [Next]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19629 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
He got his decision. NOBODY BOUGHT THE BOOK.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2475 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I have no plan to cheat the government. I pay my taxes. I have no problem keeping the book and the fond memories and story of how I got it. It brings me a smile every time I think about it. No worries, no longer worth discussing if you ask me.

Unless you want to buy it.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19629 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Cliff I do want to add that I never meant to imply anything except you are 100% straight up in the tax department. You said it earlier. Sorry if it seemed different.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19629 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Cliff I do want to add that I never meant to imply anything except you are 100% straight up in the tax department. You said it earlier. Sorry if it seemed different.

The secondary market is always tough. I always refer to it as "the bigger idiot " theory. DC knows what work product they have in a book and what it must sell for to be a functional company. Once that is over and nobody has any real work put into it no matter what the product it is tricky. Spend $10,000 on something without a lot of research and you are an idiot. What you hope comes along is a bigger idiot to sell it to.

So many guides are written about comics, cars, Barbi Dolls and so forth and hardly any of them are worth the price paid for them. The market mood shifts almost daily. Best to enjoy them as a collection or read them.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
While we're at it about Green Lantern,I still remember reading a letter-column where there was confusion as to the Ring's recharging. Because in a previous issue of the magazine when Hal Jordan was in the act of recharging, he was attacked/interrupted in the midst of reciting the oath. As a result the ring did not get charged. So the readers in the letter column insisted that the oath's recitation was a magical-incantation necessary for the charge.

On the other hand there were other readers who said that the length of the recitation is just a timing-device to get the charge. In other words that the process of recharging takes 12 seconds so the recitation is meant to last 12 seconds.

So it remains debatable as to whether the recitation is a timing device to make 12 seconds or if it's a mystic incantation.
Mr Salk
View Profile
Elite user
Tied to
487 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
That explains why the southern green-lantern corp always have overcharged rings.

Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2475 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Quote:
On Sep 16, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:

No Problem, not to worry, all good.
Magic is like Science,
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2475 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Quote:
On Sep 16, 2019, Orville Smith wrote:
On the other hand, there were other readers who said that the length of the recitation is just a timing-device to get the charge. In other words that the process of recharging takes 12 seconds so the recitation is meant to last 12 seconds.

I remember that issue and the letter column argument too. I personally always liked the 12-second idea, and that the "oath" is meant as a timing device. In the movie, Ryan Reynolds simply touched the battery and that was that. No growing glow or anything to go with it showing the act of charging. I have always believed that there should have been a quiet sound that goes with it too as the ring gets brighter and brighter.
Magic is like Science,
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On Sep 16, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:100% straight up in the tax department. You said it earlier. Sorry if it seemed different.

Glad that you clarified, Danny, you had me worried.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2696 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Sep 16, 2019, Cliffg37 wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 16, 2019, Orville Smith wrote:
On the other hand, there were other readers who said that the length of the recitation is just a timing-device to get the charge. In other words that the process of recharging takes 12 seconds so the recitation is meant to last 12 seconds.

I remember that issue and the letter column argument too. I personally always liked the 12-second idea, and that the "oath" is meant as a timing device. In the movie, Ryan Reynolds simply touched the battery and that was that. No growing glow or anything to go with it showing the act of charging. I have always believed that there should have been a quiet sound that goes with it too as the ring gets brighter and brighter.

Yes, but that was the most boring superhero movie I've ever seen! And I'm counting "Superman IV!"
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19629 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Sep 17, 2019, Orville Smith wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 16, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:100% straight up in the tax department. You said it earlier. Sorry if it seemed different.

Glad that you clarified, Danny, you had me worried.

No doubt in my mind. Cliff is 100%. I line him too so that counts for something!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19629 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I like him not line him.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
On Sep 20, 2019, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
On Sep 16, 2019,

Yes, but that was the most boring superhero movie I've ever seen! And I'm counting "Superman IV!"

You are of course entitled to your taste, Ed Rhodes, but what disappointed you specifically? Was it the actor or the scripting or the special effects? If you mean the actor, then I agree with you. But the rest was pretty good. Especially when showing the other aliens.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19629 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I never understood if the ring was tech or magic. It sort of blurs those lines.

I have to say it is airways tough to write for those almost omnipotent charectors. The ring needing to be charged helps in this regard.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2696 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Sep 21, 2019, Orville Smith wrote:
On Sep 20, 2019, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
On Sep 16, 2019,

You are of course entitled to your taste, Ed Rhodes, but what disappointed you specifically? Was it the actor or the scripting or the special effects? If you mean the actor, then I agree with you. But the rest was pretty good. Especially when showing the other aliens.

I would say mostly the script and the "ring" effects specifically, (the sequence where he's running a ball shaped ship around a party like a pinball SHOULD have been exciting, or at least interesting, but it actually bored me.) and the editing. I would say nothing bad about Ryan, except he realized the pacing was off and couldn't pull it back up.
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Comic-book thieves get caught in a twist of irony:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.syfy.co......es%3famp
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2696 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Sep 22, 2019, Orville Smith wrote:

As Spider Robinson points out; God is an iron!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19629 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Sep 22, 2019, Orville Smith wrote:

My lord could they have written that with just a little bit more hyperbole? A story straight out of a Batman comic? Oh my god all that happened was his storage locker was broken into and comics stolen. (A fairly stupid way to store a collection I hasten to add.)

It was not shocking the thieves showed up at his shop. How many comic shops are left to go to if you want to move them all quickly?

I'm sorry they just make this sound like so much more of a big deal than it really was.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Marvel and Sony seem to have reconciled:
https://news.internet.apps.samsung.com/?......ider-Man Is Back In The MCU – Marvel And Sony Working Together Is Best For Everyone
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5689 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Are you excited for the Joker movie coming out soon?
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (22 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..15..27..39..51..60~61~62~63 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL