The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (32 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..17..31..45..59..72~73~74~75 [Next]
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On Apr 16, 2022, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
HBO has The Batman next Saturday. No idea why they used a decent flashback as the movie ending.

Any reactions to Moon Knight?

Much as I hate to say it, Jonathan, I never even bought Moon Knight comics, sorry. What's ironic is that I also stayed away from Fantastic Four comics during the 1960s because at that time I felt Ben Grimm was too obnoxious. Ironic because the movies made me like the comic. In fact, as a result of seeing those films, I even bought the Masterworks hardback book which Reprinted the old stories. From there I segued into buying the Reprints of the Human Torch from the 1940s. This is not the FF's Human Torch but rather the version where the Torch is an Android. I prefer that one rather than Johnny Storm, because the Android Torch combines the idea of Frankenstein and Superhero because in the early stories the Android could not control his flames so understandably frightened the populace.
What I'm driving at is that in all my years (decades!) of comics collecting, the stories that have appealed to me the most are those where a protagonist's superpowers make him an outcast. This all began with the Doom Patrol. But the thing that never made sense to me is how Rita Farr was labeled an outcast. Because in comparison, I perfectly understood how Negative Man is an outcast because his Radioactive body makes him hazardous to any bystanders. But Rita has No such problem with her superpower at all. Yet she was labeled a freak too. That was the gaping flaw in the Doom Patrol.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7494 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I've been watching "Moon Knight", as it's aired. Now up to episode 4 (of 6). All I knew about the character was from his guest appearance in an animated series (for example, when he made a guest appearance in a Spider-Man episode).

"Moon Knight" ends on May 4th. "Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness" arrives on May 6. "Ms. Marvel" starts on June 8, and will run 6 episodes. "Thor: Love and Thunder" arrives on July 8.

(If anyone is a Star Wars fan and also a Marvel fan, it should be noted that "Obi-Wan Kenobi" starts on May 27th with 2 episodes, and there will be a total of 6 episodes, taking it to June 22. So, both "Obi-Wan Kenobi" and "Ms. Marvel" will overlap in June. Makes me a happy Disney+ customer.)

I also watched the first season of "Daredevil", now that it's on Disney+. I hadn't seen any of the "Marvel's Defenders" series on Netflix, because I didn't have that service. I also found some websites that talk about the order to watch the series in, so I'll try to do that (one site).

And I've been re-watching "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." (currently near the end of season 3). It's been on Disney+ in Canada for quite a while now, and I watched it when it originally aired on ABC.

- Donald

P.S. The teaser trailer for "Thor: Love and Thunder" came out earlier this week.

Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Fedora
View Profile
Veteran user
Arizona, usa
344 Posts

Profile of Fedora
Quote:
On Apr 21, 2022, Donald Dunphy wrote:

And I've been re-watching "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." (currently near the end of season 3). It's been on Disney+ in Canada for quite a while now, and I watched it when it originally aired on ABC.

- Donald

I liked agents of shield, by contrast too this day I've never had someone tell me they're rewatching "marvel's inhumans".
Fedora
View Profile
Veteran user
Arizona, usa
344 Posts

Profile of Fedora
Apparently "legends of tomorrow" has been cancelled by the cw after 7 seasons,
Batwoman was cancelled also.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7494 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On Apr 30, 2022, Fedora wrote:
Apparently "legends of tomorrow" has been cancelled by the cw after 7 seasons,
Batwoman was cancelled also.

So, I guess that means the only Arrowverse series remaining are "The Flash" and "Superman and Lois".

Other DC Comics TV series on CW are "Stargirl" and "Naomi", but I don't think they're considered part of the Arrowverse (even though Stargirl was shown in one crossover episode, before her series began).

- Donald
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Famed comics artist Neal Adams died. He was 80 years old.
https://deadline.com/2022/04/neal-adams-......35013183
In addition to his great work on the X-Men at Marvel, my favorite at DC remains those few issues he did for The Spectre during the 1960s.
R.I.P. Mr. Adams.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
While we're at it about Neal Adams and The Spectre, it should be noted that it's one of the few times where Adams both drew and wrote. What stood out was that in issue#2, he based the concept of the villain on actual documented cases where Catholic Saints such as St. Francis Xavier and Padre Pio did the supernatural feat of Bilocation, the paranormal ability to be at two places at the same time!
So in the Spectre issue, the villain had an iron-clad alibi because he could not be accused of his crimes since he was seen in another location at the same time. Until I saw that issue, I did not know about those documented cases, so it prompted me to research more, at which I also found that those Saints accomplished other supernatural feats such as stigmata and levitation.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Audience reaction to Marvel's Doctor Strange #2 sparks a debate over its PG-13 rating.
https://www.cbr.com/doctor-strange-2-pg13-rating-debate-mcu/
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7494 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
There's a new trailer out today for "Black Adam", the next movie from DC.

Current DCEU release dates:

"Black Adam" - October 21, 2022
"Shazam! Fury of the Gods" - December 21, 2022
"Batgirl" (HBO MAX release) - sometime in 2022
"Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom" - March 17, 2023
"The Flash" - June 23, 2023
"Blue Beetle" - August 18, 2023

- Donald
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Actor Finn Wittrock to star as DC's Green Lantern. No, not Hal Jordan but the other Green Lantern, Guy Gardner.
https://thedirect.com/article/green-lantern-hbo-max-filming
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Marvel's Captain America to embrace the New World Order.
https://www.ign.com/articles/captain-ame......omic-con
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7494 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Another thing to come out of San Diego Comic Con was the teaser trailer for "Black Panther: Wakanda Forever"

Current Marvel Movie Release Dates:

"Black Panther: Wakanda Forever" - November 11, 2022
"Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania" - February 17, 2023
"Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3" - May 5, 2023
"The Marvels" - July 28, 2023
"Blade" - November 3, 2023
"Captain America: New World Order" - May 3, 2024
"Thunderbolts" - July 26, 2024
"Fantastic Four" - November 8, 2024
"Avengers: The Kang Dynasty" - May 2, 2025
"Avengers: Secret Wars" - November 7, 2025

Current Marvel Television Series (Disney+) Release Dates:

"She-Hulk: Attorney at Law" - August 18, 2022 (new date - as of today, they adjusted the date from August 17 to August 18)
Untitled Halloween Special - October 2022
"The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special" - December 2022
"What If...?" Season 2 - Early 2023
"Secret Invasion" - Early 2023
"Echo" - Mid-2023
"Loki" Season 2 - Mid-2023
"Ironheart" - Late 2023
"Agatha: Coven of Chaos" - Late 2023 or Early 2024
"Daredevil: Born Again" - Early 2024

These movies and TV series are from Phase 4, Phase 5, and Phase 6, which is called "The Multiverse Saga." There's also a number of unannounced films & projects for dates in 2024 and 2025, such as films in February 2024, February 2025, and July 2025 (some are thinking they'll be announced at D23 in September).

- Donald
Fedora
View Profile
Veteran user
Arizona, usa
344 Posts

Profile of Fedora
Apparently dc was making a "Batgirl" film for HBO, it was just cancelled after it
already finished filming, at the cost of $90 million
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7494 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On Aug 3, 2022, Fedora wrote:
Apparently dc was making a "Batgirl" film for HBO, it was just cancelled after it
already finished filming, at the cost of $90 million

I heard about that, too.

More about that here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batgirl_(film)#Cancellation

- Donald
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27237 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Any thoughts about The Sandman?

Yes, an adaptation of the Kirby one appears too Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27237 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
If you haven't had a look at The Sandman on Netflix yet; it's gotten positive reviews.
I'm surprised at some of the changes the series made to the comicbook in but happy to say the characters and stories are fine for one-hour episodes.
They released a surprise eleventh episode comprising "Dream of a Thousand Cats" and "Calliope". The latter is improved from the comicbook story by giving Calliope more agency at the end.

So if you like fine stories and storytelling - and magic - and dreams - please have a look. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2818 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Jun 11, 2022, Orville Smith wrote:
Actor Finn Wittrock to star as DC's Green Lantern. No, not Hal Jordan but the other Green Lantern, Guy Gardner.
https://thedirect.com/article/green-lantern-hbo-max-filming

Guy Gardner was a jerk. Is he going to be a jerk in the movie? I wonder.
"All the world's a stage, but the play is badly cast!" - Oscar Wilde
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2818 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Aug 31, 2022, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
If you haven't had a look at The Sandman on Netflix yet; it's gotten positive reviews.
I'm surprised at some of the changes the series made to the comicbook in but happy to say the characters and stories are fine for one-hour episodes.
They released a surprise eleventh episode comprising "Dream of a Thousand Cats" and "Calliope". The latter is improved from the comicbook story by giving Calliope more agency at the end.

So if you like fine stories and storytelling - and magic - and dreams - please have a look. Smile

Yeah, they cut a lot of the references to "Dream" being IN the DC universe. In the book, Dream going missing is the reason a human put on a suit and went out to fight crime in the '50's as, "The Sandman." Also, after he escapes, he runs into Jonn Jonz and is surprised that a Martian is on Earth. They DID keep Cain and Able, and referenced their homes; "The House of Mystery" and "The House of Secrets." (The last speech of Able to Irving the Gargoyle was heartbreaking in the book as well as in the series.) Another reference cut was the three fates being the witch hosts of a comic called "Midnight: The Witching Hour." I don't blame them for that, the reference was obscure when it was in the book (I had to explain who they were to my daughter).
"All the world's a stage, but the play is badly cast!" - Oscar Wilde
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Fantastic Four was great in the comics but in the movies it often hits a snag,as in this latest announcement.
https://thedirect.com/article/fantastic-four-marvel-d23-news
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7494 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
It was nice to get trailers for "Warewolf by Night" and "Secret Invasion", but I was surprised there were no announcements about the upcoming "The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special".

I also enjoyed the cast / characters announcement for "Thunderbolts" (which is the movie on the roster prior to "Fantastic 4").

- Donald
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (32 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..17..31..45..59..72~73~74~75 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL