The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (45 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10..17..24..31..34~35~36~37~38..47..55..63..71..79~80~81 [Next]
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Tommy, thanks for the Steranko link. Dude is awesome. Tore up how superheros were portrayed and reinvented the comic medium with his background in graphic arts. A true innovator.

And knows a thing or two about this magic thing too.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Inhumans looks pretty cool and some great actors. Look forward to seeing Ramsay Bolton play the evil Maximus. Hopefully it doesn't disappoint like Agents of Shield has.

Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I kind of like "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." I've watched all 4 seasons, and I'm looking forward to season 5.

I really liked how it meshed with the story line of "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" in the first season. If you were watching the TV show, and also saw the movie on opening weekend, everything fit nicely.

And I thought this past season (season 4) was interesting. Personally, of the Ghost Rider, LMD, and Agents of Hydra story lines, the Agents of Hydra story line was my favorite.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
The only time I watched Agents of Shield were the episodes featuring The Ghost Rider. What disappointed and even upset me was the Ghost Rider's utter ruthlessness. Because the Ghost Rider killed an innocent gang member. The gang member in the jail cell was just another member of the same gang that had the murderer, and yet Ghost Rider incinerated him as well. Apparently the Ghost Rider believes in guilt by association. But any way you look at it, that man was innocent. So I find it very disturbing.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
New Thor trailer.

Thor Ragnarok is being directed by Taika Waititi, who has a great sense of humor. If you've seen a few of his other movies, such as "Hunt for the Wilderpeople" or "What we do in the Darkness", you'll have gotten a taste of his humor.

I'm curious to see how much of this trailer is actually from the movie and how much was simply filmed for the trailer.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Now that Rockwall mentioned trailers, it makes me think how watching a trailer can sometimes spoil the subsequent viewing of the movie itself. For example, when the Avengers trailer included Spiderman, it made me think how the movie would have been much more of a treat if Spiderman's appearance had been a total surprise. In fact,in most trailers, they show all of the most exciting scenes already. Problem is that it's almost impossible to avoid seeing those trailers because they appear in TV commercials so suddenly that as soon as they appear,it's impossible to resist.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
In this day and age you won't keep secrets about a Spiderman appearance in a movie. Why not show it to attract more people?

I never watch trailers, except in the movies. I never click on them, I don't go to fan sites, I don't even watch much live TV so I never see them when they are there.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
I know what you mean about trailers spoiling the movie. It's done it to more than one for me but that hasn't stopped me from watching them!

However, I was very happy with the trailer to Guardians 2 after seeing the movie. I would say that 90% of the trailer was covered in the first 10 minutes of the movie and so spoiled very little of the surprises to come.

I get the feeling that it could be the same with Thor Ragnarok.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Guardians 2 flat out rocked.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On Jul 30, 2017, rockwall wrote:
I get the feeling that it could be the same with Thor Ragnarok.

There are now 2 trailers for "Thor: Ragnarok", and they are quite different. In some ways, it appears as though one tips the plot of the first half of the movie, and the other tips the plot of the second half of the movie. But I hope I'm wrong.

There was a "bogus" trailer released for "Spider-man: Homecoming" that featured DJ Khaled (and other celebrities) & Spider-man bringing snacks to Tony Stark's NBA Finals party. None of that was in the theatrical release of the movie at all. I'm guessing it will be a bonus on the DVD / Blu-Ray when those are released. They were released as a series of commercials, and as a longer cut version. I think that Robert Downey Jr. debuted that trailer on his media (Facebook page, etc.) -- that's where I saw it first, before I saw it elsewhere. This page has the longer cut of that trailer.

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/06/10/s......ded-cut/

- Donald
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have a friend who works for Sega designing pinball machines. (I KNOW coolest job ever right?!)

When they did Batman Forever they had a preview of the script and worked from that. There was a scene where Chase was on the couch and the Riddler drugged her and so forth. It went on WAY longer than in the final movie. It was l on the machine, but not in the movie so they had to vet quickly change that!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Ugh. I just read that the Flash will be adding the elongated man to the team. Don't get me wrong, I like the elongated man, but my problem is the stretching effects. In the movies, Marvel did an OK job with Reed Richards' stretching ability, but mostly it looked cartoonish. That was on a cgi movie budget. I am afraid to think how it will look on TV. I hope they make it work.

Many people think that the Flash has gotten too dark. Maybe so. E.M. could lighten things up.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It is amazing the difference an hour makes between the Flash and Arrow in dark quality of the show.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Actually, Marvel has never done Reed Richards stretching ability. FF is owned by Fox.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On Aug 1, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:
It is amazing the difference an hour makes between the Flash and Arrow in dark quality of the show.

You're right, the shows definitely have a different tone.

I saw an interview with some of the writers / producers of Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, and DC Legends of Tomorrow at some time, and they defined Arrow as a gritty crime drama show, whereas they defined The Flash as an action-adventure show.

BTW, in Fall 2016, all 4 of the CW shows were in the same time slot (8-9pm), but just on different nights. It will be different in Fall 2017.

- Donald
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Good point by Rockwall that the Guardians #2 trailer did not spoil the movie. It shows that spoiler-free trailers can be done.

Another way is that there are both long trailers as well as short trailers. So it would help avoid spoilers if one looks at the short ones.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Aug 1, 2017, rockwall wrote:
Actually, Marvel has never done Reed Richards stretching ability. FF is owned by Fox.

I thought they get theose charectors back. I am so out of the loop.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Aug 4, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 1, 2017, rockwall wrote:

I thought they get theose charectors back. I am so out of the loop.

Nope but the rumors persist and hope springs eternal.

Personally, I think anyone trying to do Mr Fantastic is going to have a tough time of it.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Certainly a very pleasant surprise from Cliff's announcement because I'm a very avid fan of the Elongated Man. What's really ironic is that the first time I ran across Dibny, it did not appeal to
me at all. Because at that time I used to like only The Flash and the X-Men.

Then one day at school during the 1960's, a classmate brought an issue of Detective Comics into the classroom during recess time. It was on the other side of the room where the classmate was showing his friend that issue,so I was eavesdropping on their conversation. He had bought Detective Comics just for Batman only, but when his friend turned to the secondary story with the Elongated Man,I remember him getting awestruck because it was the first time he saw such a bizarre character! Judging from his reaction, I got the impression that he was more impressed with the Elongated Man than with Superman. So that got me interested in the Elongated Man.

But what really clinched it for me and made EM one of my favorites was when I got a paperback book on True-life Sideshow freaks. Included among all those Sideshow anomalies was a human oddity called the Elastic Skin Man. He could pull and stretch out the skin of his facial-cheeks 8 inches and could stretch his chest-skin all the way over his mouth. I still remember how excited I got that abnormal elasticity exists in real life! So that was the final clincher, and I got hooked with the Elongated Man.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Rainy day in New York.

Gonna binge watch the Defenders.

Life is good.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (45 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10..17..24..31..34~35~36~37~38..47..55..63..71..79~80~81 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL